VBI Data?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I know there's closed captioning there. I found some receivers pass it and others don't.

I have seen CC on my Coolsat 5k without any problems.. MontanaPBS does showing CC most of the time. And you can check at G10R @ 123w, most channels showing CC.

kurtsat said:
I have seen CC on my Coolsat 5k without any problems.. MontanaPBS does showing CC most of the time. And you can check at G10R @ 123w, most channels showing CC.
I second this :)

CC should be encoded on NTSC line 21 out of the baseband video of the box. If you happen to have an oscilloscope you should see the run-in clock and serial data instead of white level video. I know CC is in the MPEG stream, but it's a matter of whether the box decodes the data off the stream and encodes it on the analog video out. I don't have a 5k to verify.

Okay, two Coolsat users say yes! So, this should work... right now I'm on PBS Montana, the program is NOVA (I know NOVA has CC) I have the TV set to CC1 "on" and I'm not seeing any Closed Captions. If I switch to the local PBS station (which is also showing NOVA) I'm getting CC.

The Coolsat is connected to the TV via the component output... is that a problem?

In the audio (green button) menu on the Coolsat, the last parameter on the list is 'Closed Caption' but the option is grayed out, so I can't change it... is that a problem?

Tony
Home Page - http://www.cyberspace.org/~awh/
--

Really, that's wierd? Wouldn't that be in some FCC violation since CC is required on every TV set? That's like saying the folks that need CC aren't techy and don't use component outs.

Sat_addict said:
CC should be encoded on NTSC line 21 out of the baseband video of the box. If you happen to have an oscilloscope you should see the run-in clock and serial data instead of white level video. I know CC is in the MPEG stream, but it's a matter of whether the box decodes the data off the stream and encodes it on the analog video out. I don't have a 5k to verify.

It can be 17-22...

dashaund said:
Really, that's wierd? Wouldn't that be in some FCC violation since CC is required on every TV set? That's like saying the folks that need CC aren't techy and don't use component outs.

The requirement of S-Vid/Baseband for CC has been there quite some time...

Krapola said:
It can be 17-22...

True most NTSC video encoders will allow the CC data to be inserted on those lines by setting a register field in the encoder. Back when I did STB design we set the CC to be on 21. From my experience that's pretty typical. The lower full lines starting at 10 usually will contain VITS stuff especially from cable company's and terrestrial broadcast.

Sat_addict said:
True most NTSC video encoders will allow the CC data to be inserted on those lines by setting a register field in the encoder. Back when I did STB design we set the CC to be on 21. From my experience that's pretty typical. The lower full lines starting at 10 usually will contain VITS stuff especially from cable company's and terrestrial broadcast.

That would be the difference between Consumer/Comercial usage...;)

Krapola said:
That would be the difference between Consumer/Comercial usage...;)

Ok thanks Krapola. If that's the case and the CC can be between 17-22, then I wonder if all televisions have circuitry smart enough to look between those lines for the CC data? Maybe that's awh's problem......

awh,

Have you tried the 5k box on another TV?

Tron said:
You won't get CC on component outputs, only composite (use the yellow RCA video out)...

You don't happen to have a Samsung TV do you? I heard that some older model projection TVs didn't work for CC over component connections.

I'll be curious to see if it does work for you on other RCA or s-video. I wasn't actually aware that the Coolsat 5000 can handle CC, I thought only some Fortec models could handle CC. All the same, I'd rather use component if I had the choice.

No joy.

I've been experimenting with the NBC feeds on AMC4, because I can directly compare them with the OTA signal and I'm not having any success.

I tried S-video, composite and even RF outputs, 2 different TV sets (Sony & Mitsubishi). OTA closed captions works fine, as does CC from the TVRO analog channels (like PBS-X on AMC4 & ABC on IA8), but I'm getting nothing from the Coolsat. The fact that the "closed Caption" option is grayed out in the audio menu has me concerned... does this option need to be "on" for it to output CC data, and if so, how do I get it so that it's not grayed out and I can select on/off?

Attached are also the channel info screen as well as the firmware version... maybe there's something there that's causing me problems?

Tony
Home Page - http://www.cyberspace.org/~awh/
--

Attachments

• audio.gif
    audio.gif
    134.2 KB · Views: 159
  • chan-nbce.gif
    chan-nbce.gif
    96.3 KB · Views: 144
  • version.gif
    version.gif
    64 KB · Views: 136
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)