VBOX (DP710) causing dish postion to drift

Status
Please reply by conversation.
i recieved an email from http://www.mysatpros.com that they do still have some moteck vbox II's in stock. Ill let you folks know how well it works, but from what i have seen at vetruns.com a lot of folks there are using the vbox II with good results.

vbox 710 for $40

I came to this section of the forum when I ran across a bunch of new Vbox DP710 for $40.
Seemed too good to be true.
Now that I have read the comments, it is indeed just too good to be true. :(

If the count were just wrong, I can think of a number of things that might help, even though I know nothing about 'em:
1). grounded/shielded wire to reed switch.
2). small capacitor across the contacts.
or best yet,
3). a mercury-wetted reed for bounceless operation!

None of these ideas cost much money at all !
Actually, hall-effect sensors are dirt cheap and could probably be ripped out of an old fan and pressed into service...

But if the thing drifts, then I don't know enough about how they operate to suggest anything (yet)
Let's hear more.
Maybe there's a simple fix for a $40 orphan, to make it useful.
:)
update: $29.95

It would be great if somone could figure out how to make the dp710 to work, but personally i think they are badly engineered. The first one i recieved was DOA, and the second one would not keep positions.

As for the Vbox II i still have not recieved mine. I will NOT deal with EITS again, I paid for my item on the 1st and still have not recieved it, nor have i recieved a tracking number despite repeated emails to EITS. If i ran my business the way EITS does i would be homeless quickly ;-) Their website says they ship promptly, bullpucky. I am only 4 days shipping time from Texas via FedEx ground, at this point it has been 10 days since i ordered.

The folks at http://www.mysatpros.com/cgi-bin/mysatpros/00484.html emailed me and said they had several vbox II's in stock. For anyone else that is looking to try a vbox II, they are the only place in the states i could find that have them. I purchased from this company before, shipping was prompt.

beat it into submission

Yea, well that Vbox II is a hundred bucks.
You know how it is: a hundred here; a hundred there....
Pretty soon this Free To Air project costs more like an Arm and a Leg !
Sure as heck can't call it Free any more!

I'm thinkin' we fix the $30 box once, and everybody benefits.
Heck, I might be able to afford two at that price!
We're not talkin' rocket science, here.
Someone brainstorm with me and we'll slap the fix on it, once and for all.

Finally got an email from EITS with a tracking #, they did not ship my vbox II until the 10th, 9 days after i placed the order. Not what I call prompt shipping........

drhydro said:
Finally got an email from EITS with a tracking #, they did not ship my vbox II until the 10th, 9 days after i placed the order. Not what I call prompt shipping........
Sounds liek the guy I bought my PanSat from... $25 for expedited shipping and he shipped it UPS ground... two weeks after I paid. I complained to Paypal for 'non-receipt'. Paypal said he shipped it and proved he shipped it, case closed. I can't open any new complaints for this transaction :mad: .

Live and learn. To add insult to injury I really dislike the Pansat vs the CoolSat.

I'm glad it's finally on it's way and I hope it works out. I hate to spent $100 on a dish positioner of all things but if it'll move the dish via 1.2 tranparently I'd be happy.

Shawn

Check this out...will solve the problem once and for all!!!

Attachments

• ST550.jpg
    ST550.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 173
Shawn95GT said:
I'm glad it's finally on it's way and I hope it works out. I hate to spent $100 on a dish positioner of all things but if it'll move the dish via 1.2 tranparently I'd be happy.

Shawn
Thats what i am hoping shawn, it will make it a lot easier for my family to use my FTA setup.

rayydio said:
Check this out...will solve the problem once and for all!!!
Judging by the rear panel it may not be apples to apples. It might require a specific kind of actuator unless there is a shared ground or something.

550back.gif

My actuator / the DP710 uses a four wire connection for the actuator and three wires for the skew.

Shawn

Looks like they may use a common ground since there is only one black connection. They use this box with the Jaeger movers which are 36 VDC 4 wire movers so I think they would also work with our linear movers which Jaeger also makes.

they have connections - 4 to the right-for dc positioner reed switch

and the 2 on the left are for manual positioner--mechanical polarizer.

yes they do share ground

john

Now THAT is one nice little reciever. Little pricey, but you get what you pay for.
Lets hope someone imports them into the States pretty quickly.

rayydio said:
Tried to order one from mysatpros...they are also out of stock!
too bad, when i spoke with them on the 1st they said they still had several units in stock.

Well i finally got my vbox II from EITS. This unit was NOT new, it came without original box, packaging or manual. Never again will EITS get my business and if anyone ever asks me about them i will tell my little saga ;-)

Now about the vbox II. This unit is different from the vbox dp710. For one thing it has a European plug (need an adaptor). The vbox II seems heavier than the dp710. Button placement is different, and it looks like a larger spring clip is used to connect the actuator motor. The spring clips are arranged differently also, instead of being all in a row, there are two rows of two clips each. Sooooooo i dont think it is a rebranded dp710, or visa versa.

As soon as i get the Euro to U. S. converter i and run this for a couple of days i will post a review. Wish me luck folks.

Hi DrHydro,

Boy that sucks!!! I would be pissed if I thought I was buying something new and got used.

Good Luck hope it works. Please let us know.

Virgil

Status
Please reply by conversation.