VENT: Is Dish Ever Going to Fix the FF Skip on DVR Recordings?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

midwesttv

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
USA
It's the most frustrating problem I've had since the HD on my last Hopper crapped-out...

When is Dish ever going to fix the FF functionality on DVR recordings???

PS - Are we ever going to see more Hopper integration too?

I've posted on both this topics in the past, am hoping there may be some updates?

Dish's older dvr's do the same thing, it's like Dish doesn't believe it needs to be fixed. What are you looking for in more intergration?

It's ridiculous that this problem has been so prevalent for so long...And IMO, it is a PROBLEM!! As far as integration, I'd be like a pig in poopie if I could control timers across hoppers :)

It just tends to skip around sometimes for example the skip forward not actually being 30 seconds. The worst is when you're rewinding then press play and it takes you all the way back to the beginning.

The last Dish DVR I remember that didn't do that was the DVR 625 before an update. After an update though even the 625 did it.

One thing I noticed is it's not as bad on MPEG2 channels (WA SD channels and OTA channels.)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

I've seen these threads, and never noticed an issue. Just recently (possibly this last update?) - I seems like I can't watch a show without it skipping 15 minutes into the show when I skip a commercial. Now I find myself second guessing whether or not I'm missing stuff as I ff commercials.

Grrr

Hmmm, is there any pattern to what shows this happens on or is it on all of your DVR events? I have not had a problem with the FF/skip forward button at all on mine.

You should experience trick play on an HR34 :)

Mind of its own. I get the need to vent, but does it really need to be in a separate thread, when this is discussed in so many others? The SOP around here is for people to start separate threads about the same thing, and that is actually "frustrating".

On your Joey also?? Many of us have reported FF/RW/Skip issues with our Joeys.

On my Joey I have not had any issues as well that I know of, but to be honest the vast majority of my TV watching is done in front of the Hopper. The Joey gets used only a few hours after heading to bed as it is in the bedroom to watch morning news / nightly news and some latenight or other DVR shows before I sleep.

My hopper setup has been pretty stable and issue free.

I also am having the skipping issues. It appears that it only happens sometimes but when you press play after ff, it skips forward a good bit.

Is it just after using the FF button? I hardly ever use that and instead hit the 30 second skip forward about 6-7 times depending on the show and im usually right where the commercial break ends. I will test with my Joey tonight.

Wasn't this one of those annoying problems that should have been corrected after Dish settled with Tivo?
Many speculated that was the case, but on the other hand, has Dish incorporated ANY TiVo functionality into their current DVR software ?

As for this particular issue, many noticed it started happening during the Dish vs TiVo trial, where Dish seemingly removed "copied" functionality that was too close to TiVo's method and used their own method (obviously not as good).

Hall said:
Many speculated that was the case, but on the other hand, has Dish incorporated ANY TiVo functionality into their current DVR software ?

As for this particular issue, many noticed it started happening during the Dish vs TiVo trial, where Dish seemingly removed "copied" functionality that was too close to TiVo's method and used their own method (obviously not as good).

I honestly don't remember a change in trick play related to the TiVo lawsuit. Then again, I got my first 722 after it was already ongoing and I don't recall the 722 being much different from my old 625. Anyhow, all that to say that I don't have a reference point to compare from. However, enough people on this forum has indicated that the functionality used to be so much that I believe their collective assessment. The only question is, why hasn't Dish incorporated the TiVo IP into their DVR software since the settlement included a licensing agreement? Hopefully it's not a matter of hardware/software conflict and just a matter of they haven't gotten around to it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

For the amount of money they paid for it, I'm sure they'd LOVE to incorporate it. It's clearly not a simple copy-and-paste task though.... What will it break ? What else needs changed when that code is added ?

Is it just after using the FF button? I hardly ever use that and instead hit the 30 second skip forward about 6-7 times depending on the show and im usually right where the commercial break ends. I will test with my Joey tonight.

Yes. When you stop after FF it will skip ahead several minutes and you will have to then rewind to get back to the correct position. It is extremely frustrating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)