Verizon Droid....iPhone killer??

Wait, the Droid is a Motorola? Pass. Craparola is what drove me to the iPhone in the first place. That and it plays nice with my Macbook. As it should. :D

There will be multiple phones under the droid name using the Android 2.0 OS, the first one is from Motorola, yes. HTC and some others also expected to release handsets I think I read.

I use to have 5 different Motorola Phones, then I got the At&t Tilt. All of these phones had absolutely crappy battery life including the Razr. The Tilt had such a crappy battery life that i had to exchange it 3 times and then finally paid the difference and got the Iphone. Best move I ever made, it may take a few days to get use to it, but I have not seen another phone that would make me replace it. I gave my old Ipod to my daughter as I have one in my phone. Which save me having to carry 2 devices in my pocket.
Motorola's quality has gone down in my opinion since the days of the Startac, they now make cheap crappy phones. I wish they made them like they used too.

I hate it when someone tries to replicate another device, just be original and improve on the device you are trying to compete with. Damn i hate the word "Iphone Killer", so far they have all failed miserably.

We moto fans have been waiting on this phone....this may finally push me over the hump to get data from Verizon. The Versa I carry now is a sorry excuse for a phone next to all my Moto's I had, much worse RF and ease of use than my old V9m. I cannot wait to be rid of this Versa. :)

Well I was getting ready to jump on it, but this is pretty discouraging:
Google fails to address app storage issue with Droid and Android 2.0 – Android and Me

Though I will say I haven't really hit that limit on my WinMo phone. Also wonder if developers can install to the app area, but cache large stuff to the SD card? Kind of suprised by that considering it's Linux under the hood.

-Mike

Woooaaahh!!! You can't install apps to the SD card????????!!!!!????? C'mon...my kid's old school MotoQ9C phone can install apps to the SD card.

Well, until I read that last post, the phonedog video made that phone look very very appealing to me. Particularly since I live on gmail and google calendar. It looks like the ideal setup. I suspect they'll find a work-around for storing the apps.

I have an update:
"Only the core (read: less than 1MB) portions of an app have to be installed in the 256MB internal memory. The rest of the app can be stored on the 16GB SD card. This means you can easily have hundreds of very complex and large apps installed on an Android phone, just like the iPhone. Also, as others have mentioned, this has been the case since day one on all Android phones, and it was designed this way intentionally. It's primary purpose is to prevent piracy of paid Android apps. It's not some oversight by Google. Apple accomplishes this same thing on the iPhone by not letting you replace or upgrade your memory."

BTW, I admit it... I preordered mine today so in theory I should have one waiting for me next Friday at Best Buy.

-Mike

Phone looks cool, like the kb. Might have to check it out for one of my kids going to Middle School soon.

I have an update:
"Only the core (read: less than 1MB) portions of an app have to be installed in the 256MB internal memory. The rest of the app can be stored on the 16GB SD card. This means you can easily have hundreds of very complex and large apps installed on an Android phone, just like the iPhone. Also, as others have mentioned, this has been the case since day one on all Android phones, and it was designed this way intentionally. It's primary purpose is to prevent piracy of paid Android apps. It's not some oversight by Google. Apple accomplishes this same thing on the iPhone by not letting you replace or upgrade your memory."

BTW, I admit it... I preordered mine today so in theory I should have one waiting for me next Friday at Best Buy.

-Mike

Thanks for the update!

Thanks for the update!

No problem, I was a bit disappointed at first :)

Just in case people don't know, Best Buy is running a deal where as of today, you can go in store and reserve the phone. Apparently other than a press release this AM that was picked up by a few blog sites, and some corny signs in the store... No one seems to know about it. The nice part is they are also doing the $199 upgrade deal after the rebate, but the difference is it's an instant $100 rebate rather than the $100 VISA card Verizon is doing. Supposedly they also will do the Reward Zone points and discounts as well.

-Mike

No problem, I was a bit disappointed at first :)

Just in case people don't know, Best Buy is running a deal where as of today, you can go in store and reserve the phone. Apparently other than a press release this AM that was picked up by a few blog sites, and some corny signs in the store... No one seems to know about it. The nice part is they are also doing the $199 upgrade deal after the rebate, but the difference is it's an instant $100 rebate rather than the $100 VISA card Verizon is doing. Supposedly they also will do the Reward Zone points and discounts as well.

-Mike

But is this for any verizon customer? i.e., do you have to be able to be eligible to do a new-every-2? Or can anyone do it?

But is this for any verizon customer? i.e., do you have to be able to be eligible to do a new-every-2? Or can anyone do it?

I'd bet its only if you are eligible for upgrade. But remember, VZW changed the rules for NE2, and now you can get promotional pricing after only one year on your contract. They reduced the kickback too if you are on a lower plan (which I am) to 30.00 after 2 years, so there's no reason NOT to upgrade after a year.

Which is what I intend to do in April when my one year is up on this stinking Versa, if funds are available for additional data charges, I'll have the Droid. :D

Here's how the pricing breaks down according to a BB employee:
"Alright everyone, just give Bby Mobile a chance. I work for them, and I've been trying to get mine pre-ordered today too. We just got the info today. We now have the flyers in our Employee News. The pre-sale SKU is not packaging out a gift card yet. It takes just a lil bit of time to get it right.

Prices are:

$199 for a new line
$199 for add a line (2-5)
$199 for upgrade
$749 for outright

We do price match, that includes New Every 2 offered from VZW. Go to your local Bby Mobile store and get this thing pre-ordered soon."

"It depends on your contract's status. If you qualify for a yearly upgrade (which it's likely you do) then you should be able to pay the 2 year contract price of $199, which will also require a 2 year contract renewal. If you're eligible for the New Every 2 upgrade, then you should get either $50 or $100 of the 2 year contract price along with a contract renewal. If you don't qualify for any upgrades, then you'll have to pay the full retail price of the phone."

Cool. I just checked and Verizon's website said:

Eligible for Annual Upgrade with discounted pricing. Two year renewal required.Eligible for New Every Two discount on 3/25/10.Two-year renewal required.Your contract end date is 07/25/10

Sweet! I think my samsung omnia days are just about over. Goodbye Winmo, hello Android! I have missed a keyboard way too much.

Will head to BB later today. :)

Also some of the people who went to BB were told they may get their phone as early as Wed... but we'll see. My wife ended up stopping off for me on the way home yesterday from work as there's one on her way home (closest one from me at work is over an hour away.) She said they had a ton of signs up about it, but the associate said she was the first person to request one during her shift. The guy checking in next to her was like "What new phone???" so that's how badly it's campaigned beyond the inner geek circles ;) They didn't really give her much info other than they took down my information to supposedly reserve one. Wonder if that means I'll get it some time in May... You do have to put down a $50 "deposit" on a BB gift card, but you can use the card towards the phone.

-Mike

Here's how the pricing breaks down according to a BB employee:
"Alright everyone, just give Bby Mobile a chance. I work for them, and I've been trying to get mine pre-ordered today too. We just got the info today. We now have the flyers in our Employee News. The pre-sale SKU is not packaging out a gift card yet. It takes just a lil bit of time to get it right.

Prices are:

$199 for a new line
$199 for add a line (2-5)
$199 for upgrade
$749 for outright

We do price match, that includes New Every 2 offered from VZW. Go to your local Bby Mobile store and get this thing pre-ordered soon."

"It depends on your contract's status. If you qualify for a yearly upgrade (which it's likely you do) then you should be able to pay the 2 year contract price of $199, which will also require a 2 year contract renewal. If you're eligible for the New Every 2 upgrade, then you should get either $50 or $100 of the 2 year contract price along with a contract renewal. If you don't qualify for any upgrades, then you'll have to pay the full retail price of the phone."

749 is wrong, its 559 outright (at least through verizon, and if they price match, 749 is wayyy too much!)

by the way I am getting this phone next friday!!!! I cant WAIT!

$199.99 w/2yr @ Best Buy on Nov 6th aint bad at all.. not dealing with the rebates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)