Verizon Droid....iPhone killer??

I got to hold one of the new Droid Motorola Verizon phones today at lunch. Wow, all I hvae to say I think it's a horrible setup and designa and it's literally a box. I have no idea how well it will perform, but just flat out asthestics wise, for me anyways, I think it's horrible.

you sir are not welcome in this thread, how dare you speak bad about this phone :rant::D

I gotta say this, the motorola droid looks amazing, but I am SOOOOOOO back and forth between this and the htc droid eris (launching same day for 99) that is making me dizzy :) the eris has htc tools over it that make it the way I want my phone to be..but yet the droid has more power..which in the long run I dont care about as lets be honest I switch phones alot, its what I do.

.... the eris has htc tools over it that make it the way I want my phone to be..but yet the droid has more power..which in the long run I dont care about as lets be honest I switch phones alot, its what I do.

Isn't that the truth. :D :D :D

I want the droid. It looks very nice, and has everything I want. Boxy or not, if I can get it, I will!

its true, my name should be phoneslut not stuart628....at least I can give this sight honest opinions of phone and services, you would think this companies would let me test their phones as I have alot of insight on what works and what dosent :D

I thought the Eris shipped with 1.6 of Android OS and not 2.0? I could be wrong on that.

I think you hit the nail on the head about the limitations and blog sites posting whatever they find/hear. For example supposedly it's a "microUSB" connector on it, but most reviews say "MiniUSB"... However there's so much bad information, not sure which is right ;) I've seen the Android UI and will definitely take some getting used to, but I'm looking forward to moving beyond the WM6 device and try something new. Nothing to say I can't go back in 2 years :)

-Mike

I thought the Eris shipped with 1.6 of Android OS and not 2.0? I could be wrong on that.

I think you hit the nail on the head about the limitations and blog sites posting whatever they find/hear. For example supposedly it's a "microUSB" connector on it, but most reviews say "MiniUSB"... However there's so much bad information, not sure which is right ;) I've seen the Android UI and will definitely take some getting used to, but I'm looking forward to moving beyond the WM6 device and try something new. Nothing to say I can't go back in 2 years :)

-Mike

eris does ship with 1.6 and a upgrade is planned to bring it to 2.0 (well for the hero, but lets be honest and call this a hero :) )

oh and its def. micro usb lol, first thats the new "standard", and I have seen the plug. lol people have done lost their minds.

I seriously doubt it! It's not iphone cultists, but Apple cultists. Apple could have made two tin cans with a string and put an Apple logo on it and people would have been lined up the day before to pay $500 if Steve said it was the most revolutionary invention to come along since Alexander Bell's creation. Nothing, I mean nothing will stop the Apple cult movement in this country.

You have to be kidding me. This is the stupidest thing I have heard in a long while. Its about making a product that people want and Apple does a heck of a job at it with the iPhone and iPods. They just work and are very easy to use. That is what this country wants. 90+% of the people don't want to have to continually tinker with their phone or devices to get it work for them. That is what Apple gives and that is why they are so popular in the Phone and MP3 player market.

I just think Motorola really dropped the ball with the physical design of the phone.

Phonedog.com pointed out that it was boxy in its video preview, but it looks like a solid piece of equipment, and has a very powerful processor to make it zippy.

I can't wait to get my hands on one.

You have to be kidding me. This is the stupidest thing I have heard in a long while. Its about making a product that people want and Apple does a heck of a job at it with the iPhone and iPods. They just work and are very easy to use. That is what this country wants. 90+% of the people don't want to have to continually tinker with their phone or devices to get it work for them. That is what Apple gives and that is why they are so popular in the Phone and MP3 player market.

I am NOT an Apple fanboy in any way shape or form, but Jason is right in that people love those things. And as far as the ipod goes, I would NEVER consider anything except an ipod (although I still prefer the classic to the touch, and I have both).

Now, Apple as a company irks me almost as much as Microsoft does -- i.e., they sell you a device, but don't provide even a power plug for it anymore. And when there is a problem, they pretend it does not exist, and then magically one day a fix is out.

As far as the Verizon ad campaign, I love it. "There's a map for that" is great; and the iDont campaign for droid is funny. And no matter how much I gripe about Verizon there are very few places I go where I don't have service. HECK I can be in the middle of Yellowstone and be able to check my email on a 1X datastream. Verizon's network is tough to beat.

I havent seen it yet or held it in my hands so I cant comment, the pictures look nice, but the slide I dont know how I feel about that yet.

See, that's just it, I thought it was something completely different from the online stuff I saw. I guess I can only hope that the model I got to see today was not the actual phone and only a display piece, cause it felt like a hunk of metal and not in a good way. It's still gonna run android so that's a plus and I'm not knocking android in anyway.

The Joy of Tech comic... Darth Droid meets iPhonie-wan.
1313.jpg

Don, I could care less about a cult - I just want a phone that will do what I want it to do. And from all looks, the droid appears to be a top contender. :)

Same here! But not being a Machead cultist doesn't mean I don't understand the business model at Apple. Heck I made some good money last winter on Apple stock. In fact it paid for that over priced MacBook Pro with FCP. So I broke even but with some continued purchasing of more stock, I hope to make some real money soon. May have to wait until next year but the Apple cult isn't going away.

Besides the cult mentality, I listened to a podcast from a guy on Mobility Today. Get this... He carries an iphone for coolness factor and says he also has his Verizon Blackberry for reliability on phone calls, and e-mail. This guy has been one iphone fanboy since day one but now the truth comes out.

Hey Mike- I expect my HTC TP2 to arrive any minute! Then I begin a new adventure. Not sure I should have waited on the Droid but I'll have 30 days they say to keep the TP2. The TP2 cost me $99 with the New every 2 discount.

Personally, I don't need a small compact phone as much as a single device to do more tasks while away from my laptop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)