Verizon (UTStarcom) XV6700 has arrived!

"The Rom upgrade for sprint has shown some nice improvement is the EDVO speed which has gone up for 400k to 800 - 1 mb speeds constant. "

Scott- I have the PCMCIA card for the laptop on Verizon's 2 year contract so I have to keep that even though the XV6700 can be use in the same way as a laptop modem. But with your comment, where can I read more about this experience / report on performance. I know now that the 6700 is about half the speed of the laptop on dsl reports benchmark so this will be great news for all who download big files via the EVDO. I make a habit of download sessions when I'm at a wifi hotspot as it is considerably faster than the EVDO on my 6700.

Thanks Scott. I read through most of the threads on the subject but don't recall anything about the EVDO speed increase. What I did see quite prolific was numerous complaints of stuff nolonger working and several are looking for ways to reverse their upgrade to where it was. Based on these reports, I will proceed with caution with any upgrade from Verizon.
One thing I did learn in all my research on this phone is that Verizon is not too happy with some of the hacks we have implemented namely-
1. simultaneous use of wifi and phone
2. Bluetooth for wmp
3. Volume boosts
4. EVDO modem for laptops
5. and many other registry hacks from the well published tips and tricks.
6. They have also stated they will not support streaming media as in the sling box and could possibly shut your account down if you use it.

I would not be surprised if Verizon adds something in a rom upgrade that kills some of this capability. A few were killed with the Sprint rom upgrade.

Scott- just my opinion but I'm pretty happy with how I have improved my 6700. I will tread with great caution when the Verizon rom upgrades become available. While I love Verizon's performance, their support of these new technologies like Sling box and other streaming media is not so good. But then which carrier is good?

I am happy with mine as well.

I wonder why Verizon would be unhappy with the Volume Boosts?

I plan on using the Slingbox software when it comes out, if they shut me down for using it then I will contact a lawyer as will a bunch of other people. :)

"I wonder why Verizon would be unhappy with the Volume Boosts?"

Just one of several hacks / tweaks I entered but the tech guy at Verizon said they don't support any of the hacks to the registry. Personally, I think its a control issue even though I bought the phone, I should be able to use these things as I want. With the service, however, I do see their point. Actually, and you know this stuff, consider what will happen to their network if many users are streaming media content over long periods of time. The system is designed to handle burst packets of data and media will be a continuous stream of packets. I have a feeling it will be just like an internet cafe where many users are not jst doing e-mail but trying to download huge files too. It just exceeds the size of the pipe! Everyone suffers. Don't you agree? Look at the service agreement as it is spelled out in there for the "unlimited service" I believe another sat guy alerted me to this some time ago. I tried to find loopholes but the ones I found were not very solid.

Hmm I just checked those fourms and folks are saying w/ the sprint rom update that voice command over bt is working for them with a program called Tweaks2k2, hopefully something similar is comming for verizon

LER- you may want to take a look at SPB for your base screen. It enables you to have program and file icons on a tabbed screen and makes launching different programs and multitasking much easier.

Voice command- Did I mention that I read a Microsoft blog on the product that explained why Voice command won't work right on BT? The reason they gave was that they needed to compromise the tradeoff between audio bit rate and recognition accuracy. BT is 8 bit audio and low sampling on version 1.2. To get VC to have an acceptable degree of accuracy in recognition they needed to use an algorythm that depended on 16 bit audio. While the microphone internally can generate high quality audio only diminished by room noise, the BT would further restrict the fidelity of the waveform and make accuracy unacceptable. So, if this is true, then I wonder what sort of hit to accuracy these BT - VC users are really getting.

Finally got my XV6700 yesterday. So far - love it!

Except I inherited some phone number that's getting alot of 'dead' calls. I'm gonna see if they stop after a couple of days and if not will call Verizon and complain.

I'll search through this thread and at pdaphonehome but I really want to invest in a firewall app (or whatever) to protect this thing from hackers.

Also, here's something I haven't heard anyone ask about. I really like the theme on the attached image from the Microsoft website. Anybody know where to get this theme?

I'm also thinking about getting a Slingbox. I don't suppose there's a service somewhere that I can pay a fee to connect to a Slingbox for 10 minutes or so - so that I can see what it looks like on this phone?

Attachments

• 235.jpg
    235.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 123
I would let you log into my slingbox to view it however I forgot to turn off Dual Mode on my receiver today so you can't control the receiver at all with the slingbox remote.

Very cool program.

I'm curious - what's your favorite place to buy accessories. I'm looking for either a soft case or clip-style holder with a swivel clip so I can either hook it virtically or horizontally. I'm also looking for a good combo usb sync / charging cable.

BFG said:
Hmm I just checked those fourms and folks are saying w/ the sprint rom update that voice command over bt is working for them with a program called Tweaks2k2, hopefully something similar is comming for verizon

I'm on my Sprint PPC-6700 right now. With the latest ROM update the new built-in voice tags support works via BT without any 3rd party software. The only thing I currently have loaded is SiriuCE for streaming Sirius.

Bad luck today with my XV6700.

The touch screen failed.

At first it seemed to lose calibration, especially with the onscreen keyboard. The inaccuracy seemed to be worse near the center.
This morning, I couldn't tap on the 2 on the pnone pad screen. An hour later the phone reset itself to the align screen and would not allow me to complete the alignment. Went to the Verizon store where I bought it and they would not assist me saying I had to take it up with Verizon. I called Verizon and after some discussion they are sending me another to arrive tomorrow.

Let this be a heads up for the insurance. While mine is being covered by warranty, if that doesn't work then insurance is the only recourse. $50 deductible is better than $399 for the phone when it fails.

Youch! Sorry to hear about that. It's good you're getting a new one so quick but still a pain in the behind. Glad I signed up for the 'full' coverage...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)