Versus deal close????

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If I were holding the checkbook I would say March 1st, given there is no hockey the last half of February on Versus. Perhaps a few days earlier if they want that UFC fight.

Unfortunately, I don't hold DirecTV's checkbook.
I wouldn't be surprised if it took longer than that. I'm not expecting Versus back until just before the NHL playoffs.

If Versus does come back do you think it will be placed in the same programming package it was in before it was removed? Or, will it be only available in the Sports Package?

if it does i would not be surprised if it does not show up in the sports pack.
I don't think so -- I think it's going to be all or nothing. Honestly, I can see Versus calculating out what they would lose in advertising revenue due to the permanent reduced distribution from being placed in the Sports pack, and then going to Dish and working out a deal for wider distribution there.

Right now Versus wants same pricing & same distribution. DirecTV wants to re-tier the channel. Just follow the money:

If Versus "wins"

For Versus:their subscriber fee income from DirecTV remains flat compared to last year, and their distribution numbers that influence advertising revenue also remains flat compared to last year.

For DirecTV: Subscriber costs for carriage remains flat compared to last year.

If DirecTV "wins"

For DirecTV: they save cash by paying subscriber fees on fewer subscribers, and for everyone that signs up for the Sports Pack to get Versus they improve their bottom line even more because of the high margin on that package.

For Versus: they lose subscriber fees from DirecTV *AND* they lose ad revenue due to permanent lower subscriber numbers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts