Versus Removed Sept 1 from DirecTV

Do you think they will get a deal done?

• Yes they Will before 9/1

Votes: 22 10.0%
  • Yes they will, but after 9/1 but before 9/12

Votes: 37 16.7%
  • yes they will, but after 9/12 but in time for nhl season.

Votes: 94 42.5%
  • no they won't

Votes: 68 30.8%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Now for something completely different,from out of left field,stop me if you heard this one before: The conspiracy theorist in me believes that this is all just a ploy to keep us distracted from what all is going on in the world & this country. D*,Versus/Comcast,& our government are all in cahoots working to keep us preoccupied with the D*-Versus debate while the government slips past unpopular laws without us noticing. Once this is all accomplished,D* & Versus will suddenly have a "sweetheart" deal with each other,& after we stop looking at this & notice what else occurred while we were preoccupied,we say,"what just happened?"
Just a little levity to loosen up the tension.

I bet Obama will make them work out a deal to get his approval ratings up.

Malone buying D* has been about the worse thing that has ever happened to D*. About the only positive thing is the possibility of Tivo coming back since the worse thing about Murdoch buying D* was the conversion to DVRs with software written by NDS.
I bet if Murdoch was still around we wouldn't have lost Versus.
Now for something completely different,from out of left field,stop me if you heard this one before: The conspiracy theorist in me believes that this is all just a ploy to keep us distracted from what all is going on in the world & this country. D*,Versus/Comcast,& our government are all in cahoots working to keep us preoccupied with the D*-Versus debate while the government slips past unpopular laws without us noticing. Once this is all accomplished,D* & Versus will suddenly have a "sweetheart" deal with each other,& after we stop looking at this & notice what else occurred while we were preoccupied,we say,"what just happened?"
Just a little levity to loosen up the tension.
I think its a ploy to take the focus away from adding more HD channels. ;)

Christ people...is it really that hard to wait until January? My 3 year old complains less.

Christ people...is it really that hard to wait until January? My 3 year old complains less.
January, whats coming in January? If you're talking about the new satellite, its launching in December, with positioning and testing, it probably won't be turned on until February or March.

Last edited:

Wait until January? What are you talking about?

I am complaining because DirecTV announced in June of 2007 a bunch of HBO/MAX HD channels coming in Dec of 2007.... it was in a press release. This is one reason I signed up with DirecTV. They still haven't added them. Don't use the capacity and new satellite as an excuse because that has nothing to do with why they haven't added the channels. They have plenty of capacity in the HD PPV placeholder realm.

I don't care what you were told, what a press release said, or what you want. They will add additional channels when they can and/or when they want. You don't have the right to anything more than the ability to change providers. No matter what they give you...you will still be here complaining. You aren't forced to pay them. You choose to pay them and this is how it is going to be. Don't like it? Go elsewhere then. Of all the silly things to complain about. Are there not more important things in your lives? It's one channel. It's one thing to be passionate, but my lord...get a grip.

I don't care what you were told, what a press release said, or what you want. They will add additional channels when they can and/or when they want. You don't have the right to anything more than the ability to change providers. No matter what they give you...you will still be here complaining. You aren't forced to pay them. You choose to pay them and this is how it is going to be. Don't like it? Go elsewhere then. Of all the silly things to complain about. Are there not more important things in your lives? It's one channel. It's one thing to be passionate, but my lord...get a grip.

who are you talking to? Me? The group?

You should learn how to reply properly on this site. It looks like you are replying to the post as a whole by the way you replied but looks more specific in context.

AS A BUSINESS OWNER MYSELF, i HOLD BUSINESSES TO THE HIGHEST STANDARDS. DIRECTV HAS MADE ANNOUNCEMENTS IN THE FORM OF PRESS RELEASES AND OTHER PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND THEN NOT FOLLOWED THROUGH. MAYBE YOU ARE OK WITH THAT BUT 90% OF US ARE NOT.

You should learn how to reply properly on this site. It looks like you are replying to the post as a whole by the way you replied but looks more specific in context.

AS A BUSINESS OWNER MYSELF, i HOLD BUSINESSES TO THE HIGHEST STANDARDS. DIRECTV HAS MADE ANNOUNCEMENTS IN THE FORM OF PRESS RELEASES AND OTHER PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND THEN NOT FOLLOWED THROUGH. MAYBE YOU ARE OK WITH THAT BUT 90% OF US ARE NOT.

I think the point he was trying to make here is, business owner or not, Directv is an entertainment biz. TV, nothing else. Some people and it's probably not 90% don't really care what they say or claim in 'official' press releases. This is not life or death, this is not an insurance company or hospital pulling off bait and switch tactics on it's customers. This is one channel, (one that I NEED and am willing to fork over another $19 to my local cable affiliate just so I can have VS until D* decides to break down and make a deal). But not one that I'm taking so seriously as you - calm down :)

Your reactionary tone is just a little startling for 1 channel. That's our only point here.

The first sentence in my post applies to the three replies to me that appeared before it. I thought that was fairly obvious and easy to understand. I was wrong.

I am fully aware of how to post on this site. However, it isn't as easy when you're doing so from a Blackberry...as I was at the time.

You can continue getting so angry over one channel if you wish. The only affect it will have is to make you even more upset. Good luck with that.

I think the point he was trying to make here is, business owner or not, Directv is an entertainment biz. TV, nothing else. Some people and it's probably not 90% don't really care what they say or claim in 'official' press releases. This is not life or death, this is not an insurance company or hospital pulling off bait and switch tactics on it's customers. This is one channel, (one that I NEED and am willing to fork over another $19 to my local cable affiliate just so I can have VS until D* decides to break down and make a deal). But not one that I'm taking so seriously as you - calm down :)

Your reactionary tone is just a little startling for 1 channel. That's our only point here.

I am not talking about one channel.... I don't really care about VS and DTV. I am referring to the many lies from D*.... I cited one example... HBO/MAX HD channels.

I subscribe to D* and FIOS to get everything I want.... but I just moved and have to wait until Jan to get FIOS again. I can live without VS until Jan... but I think they will work out the contract before hockey starts up again.

Lies? Oh please...are you new to this game?

I believe the poster is talking about this press release (The DIRECTV Group, Inc. - DIRECTV to Offer 11 HBO/Cinemax Channels in HD) which is not part of the vague "HD leader" talk or inflated channel counts that factor in PPV, DNS not available to most and part-time HD RSNs, etc. That's all crappy, gray-area, business as usual for not only DirecTV but pretty much every self-promoting company on earth.

But that particular OFFICIAL press release clearly lists a specific number (11) of HBO/Cinemax HD channels they'll offer by "the end of the year" and was written in June of 2007. To date, and it's now more than two years later, DirecTV has only 4 (which, for those not strong at math, is 8 less than 11), HD Cinemax and HBO channels available.

In that release, they even name the channels "scheduled" to go HD (but still aren't): HBO2 West, HBO2 East, HBO Family East, HBO Family West, HBO Latino, HBO Signature and MoreMax. To date, only HBO and HBO West along with Cinemax and Cinemax West (really just two channels) are in HD on DirecTV.

There was never a follow-up release or explanation from DirecTV about what happened (at least they said something about Versus). The channels just never showed up. So whether you call it a "lie" or just a broken promise is, frankly, semantics. In the past, courts have said that when companies announce features and sell the product based (at least in part) on the promise of future upgrades/additions, they are responsible (or liable) to consumers who accepted their word at face value. (Please note, I'm not suggesting suing DirecTV over not providing me with HBO Family in HD. i'm just pointing out there is legal precedent for the position that failing to live up to written obligations made to consumers is not business as usual.)

This, of course, all has nothing to do with Versus, unless you consider DirecTV's declining customer service/care a general pattern of behavior.

Last edited:
I believe the poster is talking about this press release (The DIRECTV Group, Inc. - DIRECTV to Offer 11 HBO/Cinemax Channels in HD) which is not part of the vague "HD leader" talk or inflated channel counts that factor in PPV, DNS not available to most and part-time HD RSNs, etc. That's all crappy, gray-area, business as usual for not only DirecTV but pretty much every self-promoting company on earth.

But that particular OFFICIAL press release clearly lists a specific number (11) of HBO/Cinemax HD channels they'll offer by "the end of the year" and was written in June of 2007. To date, and it's now more than two years later, DirecTV has only 4 (which, for those not strong at math, is 8 less than 11), HD Cinemax and HBO channels available.

In that release, they even name the channels "scheduled" to go HD (but still aren't): HBO2 West, HBO2 East, HBO Family East, HBO Family West, HBO Latino, HBO Signature and MoreMax. To date, only HBO and HBO West along with Cinemax and Cinemax West (really just two channel) are in HD on DirecTV.

There was never a follow-up release or explanation from DirecTV about what happened (at least they said something about Versus). The channels just never showed up.

This, of course, all has nothing to do with Versus, unless you consider their declining customer service/care a general pattern of behavior.

Yes, this is what I was talking about. While I continue to subscribe to DirecTV, I am bitter about that. I signed up expecting those channels. For a while I didn't care because I was able to get FIOS (before I moved recently) and had all the premiums available in HD. Like I said, I carry FIOS and DirecTV to get everything I want. I carry all my premiums with FIOS but now have to wait until January to get FIOS again. So I have all my movie channels again with DirecTV and am once again annoyed that they still don't carry the promised HBO/MAX HD channels. In my opinion it is a lie. I really don't know how I or we got off on this in a VS thread but it is what it is.

I do think D* wants to maintain their sports leader standing and will get VS back on the air before hockey season. Either way, I personally will have Versus again in January when I get my FIOS back.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)