Versus Removed Sept 1 from DirecTV

Do you think they will get a deal done?

• Yes they Will before 9/1

Votes: 22 10.0%
  • Yes they will, but after 9/1 but before 9/12

Votes: 37 16.7%
  • yes they will, but after 9/12 but in time for nhl season.

Votes: 94 42.5%
  • no they won't

Votes: 68 30.8%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Versus needs DirecTV MUCH more than DirecTV needs Versus.

DirecTV knows they are in the driver's seat with these negotiations. All of the concern now is meaningless. I guarantee you Versus and D* will come to agreement before Hockey Season.

DirecTV knows they are in the driver's seat with these negotiations. All of the concern now is meaningless. I guarantee you Versus and D* will come to agreement before Hockey Season.

I'm going to hold you to that guarantee :D Kidding....but I think you're right about "who needs who" most.

What I'm wondering is, what, if anything, is the NHL trying to do about this issue? I know they can't officially do anything, but I wonder if the league is in contact with DTV and Comcast about this?

As others have mentioned, the NHL would lose a considerable amount of exposure without Vs on DTV.

I didn't know Hockey was still around? Didn't they go on strike and take a huge hit in fan base?
Numbers are actually better than they were pre-strike. NHL attendance stats have been gaining while NBA numbers have been dropping. Depending on which numbers you use, NHL attendance often slightly exceeds NBA attendance.

Down The Stretch: NHL Passes NBA In Average Attendance

Supersonicsoul: The unofficial blog of the SEATTLE Supersonics.

The recent Stanley Cup playoffs also put up bigger TV viewership numbers than we've seen for hockey in years.

2009 Stanley Cup final: Game 7 may have hit recordratings - From The Rink

That's not the issue though. ESPN Sunday Night baseball sucks when Luis Tiant comes on a couple of weeks ago and the announcers stop announcing the game for an entire inning to promote an ESPN special. ESPN Monday Night football sucks as well.

But we would not want to lose ESPN, as like it or not that is the only place to see those games. Same thing applies to Versus.

Like it or not, Versus is the only place to watch games that are exclusively on Versus.

Sandra

I don't have a problem with ESPN :)

Hey!! If they drop Versus HD can they add ESPNU HD to make up for it?!!! That would be sweet and I know alot of people would take that trade.

I didn't know Hockey was still around? Didn't they go on strike and take a huge hit in fan base?

About 5 years ago.... where ya been ? :D

I agree with your conclusion that Versus needs Directv. I'm 99.99% positive that Versus used Directv's market share as part of their pitch to lure contracts from NHL, PAC-10, etc.. And when you rank 61st among 74 networks, you're don't have a lot of justification in demanding higher carriage fees. Versus speaks of growth (which is good), but saying you're the "fastest growing" is a completely relative term right out of the marketing department.

I believe they'll reach an agreement in the 11th hour, too. They need each other, but Versus needs Directv far more than vice versa.

I'm 99.99% positive that Versus used Directv's market share as part of their pitch to lure contracts from NHL, PAC-10, etc..
I wouldn't be so sure. Comcast, the largest pay TV provider in the US, puts Versus in their basic programming package for their subscriber base of 23.9 million viewers.

DirecTV and Dish both relegate Versus to only their top programming packages, Choice Xtra and Classic 250 respectively, so they both only bring a fraction of their subscriber base to the table.

Based on the fact that Directv is quoting number. Versus must be asking for them to move them down to the base package, but why your deal won't work is Versus wants a large increase on top of that. If they had just wanted about the same rate and moved down to the base package, Directv might have said yes.
Ah! Then the solution is obvious: Versus keeps its subs rates the same, and DirecTV moves them into a more accessible tier. Voila!

I wouldn't be so sure. Comcast, the largest pay TV provider in the US, puts Versus in their basic programming package for their subscriber base of 23.9 million viewers.

DirecTV and Dish both relegate Versus to only their top programming packages, Choice Xtra and Classic 250 respectively, so they both only bring a fraction of their subscriber base to the table.

True, Comcast's customer base is pretty deep. That's a big selling point for Versus. I just believe Directv's broad customer base is still a key selling point. It's hard to ignore roughly 18 million homes.

Comcast saw some weak numbers in the 4th quarter of 2008; they gained half the number of new cable subscribers than expected while they lost twice as many as expected. Meanwhile, Directv gained more subscribers than expected.

Based on the fact that Directv is quoting number. Versus must be asking for them to move them down to the base package, but why your deal won't work is Versus wants a large increase on top of that. If they had just wanted about the same rate and moved down to the base package, Directv might have said yes.
OK, then, offer them a slight increase and the move. Isn't that better than to lose access to 18 million subs?

I'm 99.99% positive that Versus used Directv's market share as part of their pitch to lure contracts from NHL

Doubtful. If cable channel A is in 40 million homes and cable channel B is in 120 million homes, sport X is still going to write a contract with whoever is willing to spend the most money. At the end of the day it boils down to money. Versus got so many games on a national level because they laid out the money, not because they were in so many homes. The NHL wants fans, but they want fan's money even more so. Can't say that I blame them. I'm in business to make money myself. I want to make my customers happy too, but money is the mean reason I work.

Numbers are actually better than they were pre-strike. NHL attendance stats have been gaining while NBA numbers have been dropping. Depending on which numbers you use, NHL attendance often slightly exceeds NBA attendance.

Down The Stretch: NHL Passes NBA In Average Attendance

Supersonicsoul: The unofficial blog of the SEATTLE Supersonics.

The recent Stanley Cup playoffs also put up bigger TV viewership numbers than we've seen for hockey in years.

2009 Stanley Cup final: Game 7 may have hit recordratings - From The Rink

Wow! Good to know! Thanks for the update on that.

I do hope we keep Versus for the UFL in the fall.

I just cannot see (with my small mind) how the NHL will permit this to occur. They have invested too much into building the "new NHL" on Versus. As many of us, I expect this to go down to the wire...maybe even a week or so into the new season just for drama. But I cannot see how it will not be fixed with all parties coming to an amicable settlement.

"Come....let us reason together" :rolleyes: I sure hope the "glass half-full" crowd is right about this one. I can't make a guess on this. I do see it the same way about the NHL trying to get this resolved though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts