Versus Removed Sept 1 from DirecTV

Do you think they will get a deal done?

• Yes they Will before 9/1

Votes: 22 10.0%
  • Yes they will, but after 9/1 but before 9/12

Votes: 37 16.7%
  • yes they will, but after 9/12 but in time for nhl season.

Votes: 94 42.5%
  • no they won't

Votes: 68 30.8%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
So it is D*...........the HD lacker gets rid of HD, way to go D*
U Bastards!
we take awayth, D* new moto
D* Demanding this that and the other, no wonder we lack so much HD

So it is D*...........the HD lacker gets rid of HD, way to go D*
U Bastards!
we take awayth, D* new moto
D* Demanding this that and the other, no wonder we lack so much HD

What are you talking about ?

VS is the one demanding more money for thier service that only has a very small amount of people watching it.

Versus is now airing a commercial which says DirecTV dosnet care what their viewers want. Saying D* told them that Viewers want other programmin then Versus. The commerical then says all the sports that air on *D and if you switch to other provider you can still see Versus sports.

Versus is now airing a commercial which says DirecTV dosnet care what their viewers want. Saying D* told them that Viewers want other programmin then Versus. The commerical then says all the sports that air on *D and if you switch to other provider you can still see Versus sports.

Sounds like typical stuff when your coming down to a deadline, tomorrow night.

I still think it will be resolved soon.
Maybe not by tomorrow night , but before the College football games are set to air and LONG before the NHL season starts, I hope.

lol DirecTV has a new message on the screen. "Comcast is demanding DirecTV drop Versus after August 31st, unless DirecTV agrees to Comcast's unreasonable demans." It then says to go to D*'s website for more info.

(and btw I have been a lurker here since May when I got D* and you all do a great job here, so I finnaly joined ya lol)

Versus playing chicken with DirecTV over NHL coverage - Allan Muir - SI.com
Interesting article. Kind of backs up my post that Versus way overpaid for the Indy Racing League and needs to cover it's losses.
"Despite this tremendous momentum, we are offering DirecTV the ability to carry VERSUS the same way it does today at the market price for the network. We continue to talk and are hopeful that we will reach an agreement."
I love this part (Translation) "We're asking them to pay us more then we're worth, but I have no idea why they said no!"LOL.

Interesting that they have made that change by putting the sd feed on both on Directv. I wonder if that is on Directv's End or Versus doing this to the feed Directv is receiving. Versus has a new link on their site to page about Versus VS Directv issue.
Home | Versus

The message at the bottom of the screan has changed to say, "Versus is owned by Comcast. They are trying to unfairly increase the price for Versus. DIRECTV is fighting for you but if we can't reach an agreement, Comcast is demanding that we take the channel down after Aug 31."

Last edited:
Versus, just sign a damn deal. If you aren't on DirectTV, then all of a sudden most of the nation goes from having you, to not having you. Think of all the ad revenue lost.
I don't know the nature of the negotations, but both sides need to get this done.

I'll be honest, I do need versus. Most of the year I don't. However my dad does watch a lot of the outdoors shows.
I need it for my hockey, as my team is on Versus a number of times each year, and most importantly, most of the playoff's are on Versus.
I am a pens fan, & you can't imagine the s**t fit I would have thrown this past spring if I wasn't able to watch one of the finals games, or the 3rd round. Hell, even the 1st 2 rounds there are a few games on RSN, but Versus still has a bunch of those exclusively as well.

Oh hell no. No way will I sit here and not be able to watch my local pro hockey team play on TV, in the regular season and the playoff's. I cringe at the thought that I might have hundreds of channels from D*, yet somehow am still gonna have to head to a bar somewhere to catch some games.
Nah, honestly I'll go to a neighbors house that has Dish Network and watch it there, as I comtemplete throwing my D* reciever out the window.

Versus needs D*, for themselves. But for us, we need D* to have Versus. I switched to D* back in the spring due to them surpassing E* in every which way, but as far as programming E* has caught back up, I would say. And D* losing Versus, would actually put them a step behind, easily.

The thing about Versus is that it doesn't seem to be something a lot of people watch all day long, yet nobody wants to lose it cuz its still a vital channel on certain days of the year due to the NHL, football, racing, ect.

NHL is around the corner guys, and I'll be real damn pissed if there is no versus. Period.

Based on the poll so far. It looks like that most of us believe the channel will disapear on Tuesday. The real question comes down to how long will we be without this channel. It's safe to say the consumers regarless of their provider, unless you have comcast, need Directv to win this fight. However, Directv needs to win it as quickly as possbile. The longer it's out, the more people will try to switch providers. If DIrectv loses this battle and caves to the demands, then I would look for a simiilar type scenario to occur when contracts go up with other cable companies and Dish Network. One other thing I find interesting right now. Directv's twitter feed seems to have gone silent in the last couple of days. They had been actively responding to peoples questions regarding different things and stopped on the monring of August 27. Every sign points to the channel leaving on Tuesday and to the fact that these talks are either not going well or are about to break off all together with the channel being dropped from Directv.
Versus, just sign a damn deal. If you aren't on DirectTV, then all of a sudden most of the nation goes from having you, to not having you. Think of all the ad revenue lost.
I don't know the nature of the negotations, but both sides need to get this done.
I'll be honest, I do need versus. Most of the year I don't. However my dad does watch a lot of the outdoors shows.
I need it for my hockey, as my team is on Versus a number of times each year, and most importantly, most of the playoff's are on Versus.
I am a pens fan, & you can't imagine the s**t fit I would have thrown this past spring if I wasn't able to watch one of the finals games, or the 3rd round. Hell, even the 1st 2 rounds there are a few games on RSN, but Versus still has a bunch of those exclusively as well.

Oh hell no. No way will I sit here and not be able to watch my local pro hockey team play on TV, in the regular season and the playoff's. I cringe at the thought that I might have hundreds of channels from D*, yet somehow am still gonna have to head to a bar somewhere to catch some games.
Nah, honestly I'll go to a neighbors house that has Dish Network and watch it there, as I comtemplete throwing my D* reciever out the window.

Versus needs D*, for themselves. But for us, we need D* to have Versus. I switched to D* back in the spring due to them surpassing E* in every which way, but as far as programming E* has caught back up, I would say. And D* losing Versus, would actually put them a step behind, easily.

The thing about Versus is that it doesn't seem to be something a lot of people watch all day long, yet nobody wants to lose it cuz its still a vital channel on certain days of the year due to the NHL, football, racing, ect.

NHL is around the corner guys, and I'll be real damn pissed if there is no versus. Period.

Last edited:

This kinda gets me. Everyone here complains when DirecTV up's prices each year, yet everyone throws a fit when they remove a channel(Which is very rare) because the programmer wants to charge more and DirecTV doesn't believe that's the price the channel is worth.

You can't have it both ways. Either you don't mind having a big bill for DirecTV and getting every channel no matter what price they ask or you want to have low subscription charges.

Someone need to make up their mind and tell DirecTV that.

I'm getting D* installed this Thursday. I'm still keeping Charter,because I have triple play with them & 4 rooms set up with them. By keeping Charter,I'll still have Versus,I'll just never have seen Versus in HD since our local Charter doesn't carry it in HD,only SD. So no big deal to me,if I want to watch Versus,I'll turn on the Charter STB,otherwise,I'll be watching D*.

lol DirecTV has a new message on the screen. "Comcast is demanding DirecTV drop Versus after August 31st, unless DirecTV agrees to Comcast's unreasonable demans." It then says to go to D*'s website for more info.

(and btw I have been a lurker here since May when I got D* and you all do a great job here, so I finnaly joined ya lol)

Welcome to the site ETS, glad you decided to join us !

I wonder what they are doing in the NHL offices about now ?

I would hope they have a back up plan in case D* and VS can't get along.

I suppose the NHL could start actually using the NHL Network for showing GAMES, something they rarely do, till this gets worked out.

I wonder what they are doing in the NHL offices about now ?

I would hope they have a back up plan in case D* and VS can't get along.

I suppose the NHL could start actually using the NHL Network for showing GAMES, something they rarely do, till this gets worked out.

The NHL has a contract with Versus. I doubt that contract can be broken just because Versus is fighting with D*. The NHL may not like but, there is not much they can do about it. Do you really think Versus would pull this stunt if could not use the NHL for leverage? D* keeps telling everybody that they are the sports leader now Versus has taken them serious.

Versus will take the largest hit if they don't get a deal done. They lose 24 million viewers just like that.

i'm not real concerned over a quote from a versus spokesman, probably a pr hack trying to put a positive spin on this. call it a hunch from this retired reporter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts