Vertical dish mast, Is it a must?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jorgek

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Near Toronto
Sometimes you just have to think outside the box. I always believed that the dish mast had to be perfectly vertical to receive satellite signals. It does if it’s motorized. Look at the attached picture. If I were to reset the mast to vertical then the left half of the 33” dish is obscured by the brick wall in front of it and the Q from Hispasat 30W is about 50. Nothing ventured nothing gained. So there’s the end result. It works. The mast is about 15º off vertical. Had to reset the dish elevation and readjust the LNB skew but now the Q is about 70 and all is well. The caveat is that to do the initial setup the mast must be vertical otherwise finding the sat with the mast at that angle is almost impossible. Oh unless you have tried this don’t say it can’t be done or it won’t work.

Hispasat 30W.JPG

I dont think anybody has ever said it wont work. It wont work on a MOTORIZED setup

damn when I had my setup I use to rig up weird mast setups for 30W no issues. When I mounted it on the TV aerial mast I had a oddball mast + a non straight motor shaft :)

Attachments

• 000_0153.jpg
    000_0153.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 246
  • Hispasat 3.JPG
    Hispasat 3.JPG
    633.5 KB · Views: 282
The mast doesn't have to be plumb for a static setup, but you may not be able to adjust the skew enough with it tilted.

I wouldn't recommend an off-plumb mast to a noobie, except in very special circumstances (almost never). :)
Back when I put up a tiny dedicated test dish for Whitesprings, the mast was off about 15 degrees, and it went smoothly.

Bird was sorta south, and the pole tilt was sorta southerly, so not as bad as your setup. :)
I barely had enough elevation adjustment to get up onto that satellite, though.

Edit: a buddy heard my complaint, and "bent" a pole for me.
If he'd added 20 degrees, that would have been fine.
Unfortunately, he made the bend 90 degrees, and I've never used it.
?.

Last edited:
A BLIND SQUIRREL WILL FIND AN ACORN ONCE IN A WHILE! A DISH NOT SETUP PROPERLY WILL FIND A SIGNAL ONCE IN A WHILE ALSO!

YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY!!

Last edited:
This discussion reminds me of the first time I installed my motorized channel master with a STAB120 motor. I took great pains to ensure that mast was perfectly plumb. When I put the motor on it and then the dish it took me forever to get that dish on the Clark belt and it still was never right, ... Until... Someone on here mentioned I should make sure the bracket was also plumb.... And that was the answer. My motor bracket Did not match the perfection of the mast. Once I corrected it, it's been on the arc for years.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

WAS the mast on the ladder of my motor home ever plumb ?????? Did I get it to work? Yes. Is the mast with the plywood on the ground under the front tire plumb? Mast - usually does it set up easier that on the roof? YES=C =Si. (The only Spanish I know!)

Can I keep a C band mast plumb - in the wind here? Not so far. Do I have a motorized C band dish? Nope. Well driller says he will come out and set a post for me - going to go down 11 feet with an 8" hole for a 4 " pipe and then fill hole with concrete It will be 6 feet in dirt then 5 feet into rock!

That ain't gonna move..:)

WAS the mast on the ladder of my motor home ever plumb ?????? Did I get it to work? Yes. Is the mast with the plywood on the ground under the front tire plumb? Mast - usually does it set up easier that on the roof? YES=C =Si. (The only Spanish I know!)

Can I keep a C band mast plumb - in the wind here? Not so far. Do I have a motorized C band dish? Nope. Well driller says he will come out and set a post for me - going to go down 11 feet with an 8" hole for a 4 " pipe and then fill hole with concrete It will be 6 feet in dirt then 5 feet into rock!

Make sure the mast is plumb and level before the concrete sets!

The well driller (Also a Brian) said If he goes through the layer of rock (estimated at 5 feet) he is sure it will not pull out - as long as the top of the dish is under 18 feet. The hole will cost about $22 plus tax per foot including pipe and cement - but charging 20 foot minimum. For what I have gone through so far with 3 posts pulled out, one dish lost and 2 badly damaged - I would have saved MONEY, but finding the right person.... He did put in my well, and I trust him; if he will remember he is planting a satellite dish and not go for water!

It will be plumb! And it will have welded wings - at the bottom and just above the rock.

Updat to Vertical dish mast, Is it a Must?

Here's my latest iteration. A 25" dish with Avenger PLL LNB viewing Hispasat 30W.
Yes the mast is horizontal and it works. Both dish and LNB are heavily skewed, the Q is 70.

But its been raining, heavy at times, since last night, the Q is zero. Definately a fair weather dish setup.

This is not a recommended way to install a dish, don't try this at home. Not recommended for a motor install either.
This is simply me having fun pushing the limits to discover what can be done and what can work.

Must have a lot of time on my hands!

Attachments

• Dish 25.JPG
    Dish 25.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 186
Here's my latest iteration. A 25" dish with Avenger PLL LNB viewing Hispasat 30W.
Yes the mast is horizontal and it works. Both dish and LNB are heavily skewed, the Q is 70.

But its been raining, heavy at times, since last night, the Q is zero. Definately a fair weather dish setup.

This is not a recommended way to install a dish, don't try this at home. Not recommended for a motor install either.
This is simply me having fun pushing the limits to discover what can be done and what can work.

Must have a lot of time on my hands!

Necessity is the mother of invention! Don't know who originally said that, but it's been proven time and time again by folks just like us.

Hey, stuff like this is part of the fun of this DIY hobby, IMHO. I like being different, I like saving money and I do love to learn to do new "stuff"!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts