Very poor quality HD Local

Sponge14

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
My local HD Fox affiliate, KXIID, is almost unwatchable due to how poor the image looks. When the Dallas game was on yesterday, you couldn't read the numbers on the jerseys when they pulled back to show the whole play. Also, the colors are all messed up and blurry. Orange is the worst (First down marker), where it actually ghosts an entire other First down marker any time it's on the screen.

Also, any time there are high contrast colors on the screen, they streak and leave motion blur all over the screen. I contacted Dish about the issue, but I have a feeling that nothing is going to get done.

Too many of my favorite shows are on Fox and I don't want to wait a week for them to be posted online and watch them on my computer screen. What remedy do I have, or what should I do?

The first thing is to find out if it's Dish or if the local is having problems. Do you know anyone with cable or D* or an antenna? Find out if their signal is ok.

The OTA local looked fine the last time I was down there a few weeks ago, at our ranch house. KXII broadcasts two HD feeds. One for Fox and one for CBS. They may have been having problems this weekend.

The OTA local looked fine the last time I was down there a few weeks ago, at our ranch house. KXII broadcasts two HD feeds. One for Fox and one for CBS. They may have been having problems this weekend.

Okay, so I asked a friend of my that's on cable who has these channels and he says Fox is and has been fine. I would say it's almost defiantly either KXII's uplink to Dish, or the problem is with Dish.

It has not gotten any better, and when I was forced to watch Fringe for example, I might as well just record the SD version because it looks the same if not a little better.

OSU, this has been going on for a couple months now as the Hell's Kitchen season was almost all crappy and that has been over now for 3-4 weeks.

This wasn't a problem until recently. They moved the Dallas locals to I think 61.5 from 129. My setup is the 110/119/129 Dish. I had, "moved," to Dallas many years ago before we had HD locals available here, and when I moved back they did not get rid of my Dallas locals and gave me the Sherman/Ada locals back so I actually had both area's channels. The Dallas channels quality was perfect and I really want them back. I tried to put up a 61.5 wing dish, but I am afraid I had no clue what I was doing and was not able to get a signal, even when hooked directly to the wing dish. Hell, I don't know if I even had the right LNB's for a wing dish or anything, I just happened to have 2 dishes since the house had the dish when I bought it.

Last edited:
Dallas HD locals are still on 110 along with the SD locals. More than likely your move back to the Sherman/Ada dma finally caught up to you and the Dallas locals became hidden on your receiver. Just "move" back to Dallas or email dishquality at echostar dot com about the KXII problems.

SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - DISH Network 110°W

I am picking them up OTA in Pontotoc. I use my office address for our account down there, so I can get the Tulsa locals as Ada didn't have a full set of locals, at the time when we started leaving a receiver down there full time for my mom. My mom still prefers the Tulsa channels so I have never switched the account down there.

Dallas HD locals are still on 110 along with the SD locals. More than likely your move back to the Sherman/Ada dma finally caught up to you and the Dallas locals became hidden on your receiver. Just "move" back to Dallas or email dishquality at echostar dot com about the KXII problems.

SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - DISH Network 110°W

I am picking them up OTA in Pontotoc. I use my office address for our account down there, so I can get the Tulsa locals as Ada didn't have a full set of locals, at the time when we started leaving a receiver down there full time for my mom. My mom still prefers the Tulsa channels so I have never switched the account down there.

Damn, I would have SWORN they moved the channels. Guess I need to move again....

Also, I did just send an email to that address. What kind of turnaround time should I expect to hear something back from them?

Last edited:
I have used that email address twice in regards to guide problems our two Griffin owned stations had when they switched to their final Digital channel assignments and usually had a reply in 1-2 business days that it would be given to the proper department to address the problem. Those problems were fixed within a week to ten days.

Dallas is on both arcs ( Eastern 61.5 and Western 110)

wrong DMA

Okay, so I asked a friend of my that's on cable who has these channels and he says Fox is and has been fine. I would say it's almost defiantly either KXII's uplink to Dish, or the problem is with Dish.

It has not gotten any better, and when I was forced to watch Fringe for example, I might as well just record the SD version because it looks the same if not a little better.

OSU, this has been going on for a couple months now as the Hell's Kitchen season was almost all crappy and that has been over now for 3-4 weeks.

This wasn't a problem until recently. They moved the Dallas locals to I think 61.5 from 129. My setup is the 110/119/129 Dish. I had, "moved," to Dallas many years ago before we had HD locals available here, and when I moved back they did not get rid of my Dallas locals and gave me the Sherman/Ada locals back so I actually had both area's channels. The Dallas channels quality was perfect and I really want them back. I tried to put up a 61.5 wing dish, but I am afraid I had no clue what I was doing and was not able to get a signal, even when hooked directly to the wing dish. Hell, I don't know if I even had the right LNB's for a wing dish or anything, I just happened to have 2 dishes since the house had the dish when I bought it.

You are now in a different DMA than DFW. So you need to "move" further south to get DFW locals. They look great off 61.5 can't say what they look like off 129.

You are now in a different DMA than DFW. So you need to "move" further south to get DFW locals. They look great off 61.5 can't say what they look like off 129.

Oh I know; I have always lived outside Dallas DMA. I had to move once already so I could get the Superbowl in HD a couple years ago... The DFW locals in HD always looked great and I want them back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts