Very sluggish receiver issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sppunk

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Harrisburg PA
I've had DirecTV since around June (both HD receivers, whole house DVR, HR24 in both rooms, wired internet connection). I've noticed (especially today) my receiver is VERY sluggish to menu commands. I'll push guide (while watching a show) and it takes a good 4-5 seconds to appear. Same when I exit the guide, I get a long delay.

This used to not be an issue, and I've reset the receiver recently. Any idea what would be causing this? Remote batteries are fine / been replaced and there is no interference between remote and receiver that's different from before (it is in a glass-enclosure).

I know there are some different remote settings, but I haven't tweaked those as I'm unfamilar with them. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

On a side note, I've never had access to TV apps (get error 11, saying apps not available at this time). I'm assuming this isn't on my end, but any idea if DTV just no longer supports these or what?

Thanks!

I also get the terribly sluggish behavior with my HR24. It gets ridiculous at times where it takes about 20-25 seconds for a remote command to get processed. It has happened twice in about a month. When it has happened, i turned the box off and came back an hour later and it was back to normal. Extremely frustrating.

About twice a week I get slowdowns more comparable to you. Commands take about 2-3 seconds to process. It seems tolerable compared to the worst case for me.

This seems to be something D* receivers are famous for. I'm not saying there isn't a solution, I've just never seen one. Everybody I've seen reference the issue is that it's something you just have to deal with. It frustrates me beyond compare, but what are you going to do. Having been a former E* customer, I can say their receivers smoke D*'s...but that's about all they have going for them.

Interesting, I thought these problems were fixed with the HR24s. I have 3 HR21s and they drive me nuts how slow they can be at times. I was considering buying an HR24, but this thread got me thinking that it might be a waste of time.

Interesting, I thought these problems were fixed with the HR24s. I have 3 HR21s and they drive me nuts how slow they can be at times. I was considering buying an HR24, but this thread got me thinking that it might be a waste of time.

This is very rare with a 24 series.
Did they happen to come out with a new software release recently ?

I have not experienced anything like this with mine, yet.

Q. I'm curious here, are you using the guide to change channels or going directly to the channels ?
Also, if your going directly , try placing a 0 in front of the channel number and see if it's any faster that way.

I've only been on D* since October and have 2 HR24 and 2 H24 receivers. For the most part the guide has been fast but since the last update that came out around the middle of November, I have noticed some occasional delays when scrolling through the guide. It is sporadic and usually amounts to a lag of maybe 2 seconds (always seems longer, but rarely is) while scrolling - most of the time all is fine. I use RF for the remotes on the HR24 units and initially thought it was possibly some interference, but I have noticed it on the H24s as well.

This is no big deal for me and I was experiencing a similar issue on my Dish vip722 receiver prior to switching. When you think about what these things are doing, potentially recording HD programming on two channels while simultaneously delivering 2 more HD streams to TV, monitoring for remote control operations, etc., it is fairly amazing they do as well as they do!

When mine has gotten ridiculously slow (10+ second lags) it wasn't recording anything at the time. It was slow entering numbers, scrolling through the guide, or trying to bring up recorded programs. Audio and video was fine when it actually got to a channel.

I also have times where my HR24s fail to load colors when you bring up a menu. It is just clearish kind of text.

I have an HR 24 and have been having problems with the video freezing up after going to the guide. The audio is ok, but the video freezes up. If I change channels that seems to fix it. The other problem I'm having is the caller ID only works sporadically.

Hey guys, seeing your having issues, what HR24 are they, lets see if it's all the same make or not.
There are three different ones out there now.
Look at the Set Up menu or the access door to see which one you have.

It will either be a -500, -100 or 200/700 I don't remember the last one for sure.

I have an HR 24 and have been having problems with the video freezing up after going to the guide. The audio is ok, but the video freezes up. If I change channels that seems to fix it.

Same exact issue here. I have had the HR24 for a few months but this is a new problem on one of the receivers. I reset it a couple of times and it seems better now.

well, somehow they did something to improve it with the last firmware upgrade, possibly this past weekend. My HR-23 was SLOOOOOOWW. it took up to 6 seconds for a channel number to show up when pressed. Like 2 -3 - 6 and the 2 would take 6 seconds. Now, it seems much improved.

Mine is a HR24/500 and I just had my system installed a couple weeks ago. Today it appears to be ok, but the caller ID still isn't working.

The -500 were the first ones out and did have a few issues crop up over time.
I think the newer ones are better at this point, though I have -500's and haven't had much to complain about, I have changed my recording habits on the OTA stuff, recording the Sat signal instead of the OTA one.

I noticed the software updated the night before last so maybe that will help. Oops spoke to soon; I just went to the guide and when I tried to exit it completely locked up and I had to power it off and on again. Between this and the intermittent caller ID I'm getting upset with this receiver. I think I'm going to call Direct and ask for a replacement unit.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts