Video Artifacts...Oh My!!

Just got Voom installed tonight!

I'm a newbie, I haven't filled out my profile yet so I'll first let you know where I'm located. Palatka, Florida, 50miles south of Jacksonville, 45 miles east of Gainesville, 50 miles north of Daytona Beach. Now...for those far more knowledgeable than I am about this stuff you have an idea where I am as far as the satellite is concerned.

I just dropped TW today and had Voom installed by a local dealer. Got it installed the same day I ordered it. In fact I'm the first install for this vendor besides the two he installed for himself. One for his store and one for his home.

I know that I will eventually be PLEASED with Voom but not just yet. My problem seems to be a simple one. HD is just not up to par as TWs was. It's not far off but I know it can be better. My display is a Hitachi 51 swx 20b that has been calibrated professionally. Signal strength = 96. I started with DVI to input one, noticed the negative diff. right away so I switched over to component hoping this would be the fix. It wasn't. HD just isn't as sharp, defined, liquid as it was with cable. Could someone here please shoot me some leads as to where to begin to troubleshoot this problem.

BTW software version is 2.40
HAL:00.07.33
Middleware version:01.45.02
Guide version: 20.02.07
Target software version: n/a
EMM Providers: 1080,15a
Emm provider:1080
Emm provider: yes
Satellite sig power: /snr: 79/14.94

I hope this is enough info to get started with. I don't know if my installer is as HD savy as I am...and I'm not much on it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks. :confused:

themole,

welcome. Glad that you had a happy installation. As far as the sharpness is concerned, have you tried to calibrate the the TV according to the output of the stb?

There's nothing to fix, Voom is NOT up to par, many people beg to differ with me here, but I am viewing on a 110" screen and their sub-par picture is what you get. If you want awesome HD, go back to cable, you will not get it from Voom.

DarrellP said:
There's nothing to fix, Voom is NOT up to par, many people beg to differ with me here, but I am viewing on a 110" screen and their sub-par picture is what you get. If you want awesome HD, go back to cable, you will not get it from Voom.

Come, Come, Now Darrell Thats not quite right. (maybe your screen is too big ;) ) I have seen and compared the Offerings between Adelphia and Comcast Cable Here in South Florida and I can tell you that Cable (here) Definately is NOT better and for the most part is substatially worse! And as Far as Sats are concerend with HD Content (From my eyes) DishNetwork isn't any better and the SD on Dish Network blows big hairy pixel chunks compared to Voom! I didn't get to personally test DirectTV so I can't say but friends who do have it and have been to my house say the PQ is comparable. Of course I only have a Miniscule-prehistoric Sony 51" KP-51WS520 and perhaps I may not be as discriminating as other viewers, So what do I know right? :p

The real point I suppose is that due to the differences in providers other users Mileage may Vary. Cable may give you superior Picture in your neck of the Woods but not down here (s Flor).

(Of Course Down here is not the Same as Palatka so one again YMMV)

Threv, I agree Dish SD sucks the big wad, but Voom totally sucks on my system. I've done everything except replace the RG6 feeding the box, yet Dish has excellent HD over the same dish, lnb, cable. The Dish HD pack totally blows away Voom's PQ.

Sean Mota said:
themole,

welcome. Glad that you had a happy installation. As far as the sharpness is concerned, have you tried to calibrate the the TV according to the output of the stb?

Thanks Sean. Yes, 1080i-1080i. I wish I were up to speed with this digital age but I'm not. One thing I did not mention is length of cable. The installer opted to route the cable from my back yard exposer to my theatre room around the eves of my house. There is approx. 138 ft. of cable via this route. Could this be to long a run? If so, I have no problem with him putting a drill bit to my facia board to route it through the attic. He is scheduled to come back on Saturday to do some tweaking for me. My concern is, he thought HD looked pretty good last night and I'm confident that was an honest opinion. I just know better. According to Mr. Biggles description, I believe my problem to be the "Gibbs Affect". At least that's the closest description I could find. To the rest of you who have replied to my post, I extend a heart felt thanks. The more solutions you offer and questions you ask, brings me closer to resolution.

Threv said:
(Of Course Down here is not the Same as Palatka so one again YMMV)

:D Threv...Palatka's not like a LOT of places, but we don't call it Gods country for nothing. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts