Video Artifacts...Oh My!!

I have Directv HD and Voom, I noticed the picture degraduation before on Directv, lately is getting better. I have two sony 34" xbr800, one connected to Voom and one connected to Directv and I noticed that the HDpicture from Directv is much better than the Voom. I am giving Voom a two months chance to fix the picture quality otherwise I would have to keep Directv.

Ernesto said:
I have Directv HD and Voom, I noticed the picture degraduation before on Directv, lately is getting better. I have two sony 34" xbr800, one connected to Voom and one connected to Directv and I noticed that the HDpicture from Directv is much better than the Voom. I am giving Voom a two months chance to fix the picture quality otherwise I would have to keep Directv.
Good Idea Ernesto

Ernesto said:
I have Directv HD and Voom, I noticed the picture degraduation before on Directv, lately is getting better.........
Clearly Voom is having some difficulties and thier HD picture quality as of Sunday slipped below D*'s. But the posters quote clearly rebutts Eschu's continued statements about never seeing any problems in D* land.

umm I spent a couple moments over on AVS, just a couple quotes from HD users on the recent masters tournament :

" Ch. 80 on D* is horrible compared to the last few days of coverage. I'm now seeing the purple bars come back on the left side of the screen.

This is really bad TV, and really good golf."

"There is also a noticeable red line along the far left side of the screen. And now the audio is completely gone."

"The audio appears to be fixed but the picture has a skip to it and the red line on the far left of the screen is still there."

"WCBS and/or D* Killed us. Greatest finish in golf for awhile and we had to deal with absolutely terrible HD problems.

Thank you WCBS and/or D*."

Now Comment on espnhd on D*

"You mean the appearance that it's only like 10 frames/sec instead of something more like 30 fps? I'm seeing that in Arizona from DirecTV. Hope they fix it soon. They just mentioned something about technical difficulties, so hopefully they are working on it!"

Comment on HD outages on D*:

"DirecTV HD outages? Anyone else?
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]The past few days, I have NO signal on HBOHD and HDNET but HDNET Movies and Discovery are ok... then I check later and it is there again. This is annoying...Anyone else notice this?"[/font]

"A number of us have check this thread."

Every provider has growing pains not just V*. But to continually imply that D* has no HD problems is absurd and misleading.

umm I spent a couple moments over on AVS, just a couple quotes from HD users on the recent masters tournament :

" Ch. 80 on D* is horrible compared to the last few days of coverage. I'm now seeing the purple bars come back on the left side of the screen.

"There is also a noticeable red line along the far left side of the screen. And now the audio is completely gone."

"The audio appears to be fixed but the picture has a skip to it and the red line on the far left of the screen is still there."

"WCBS and/or D* Killed us. Greatest finish in golf for awhile and we had to deal with absolutely terrible HD problems.

"A lot of these issues listed here sound EXACTLY like what we had in Atlanta for the Super Bowl. We had freezes, stumbles, blackouts, and finally just plain old SD. The local blamed it on the network feed, but most everyone else here was watching the game just fine. We in Atlanta feel for those of you who had a bad broadcast today. Ours was fine after the first ten minutes when the sound was completely screwed up."

But I guess things were perfect for Eschu.... lmao

vurbano said:
Clearly Voom is having some difficulties and thier HD picture quality as of Sunday slipped below D*'s. But the posters quote clearly rebutts Eschu's continued statements about never seeing any problems in D* land.

Now Comment on espnhd on D*

"You mean the appearance that it's only like 10 frames/sec instead of something more like 30 fps? I'm seeing that in Arizona from DirecTV. Hope they fix it soon. They just mentioned something about technical difficulties, so hopefully they are working on it!"

Comment on HD outages on D*:

"DirecTV HD outages? Anyone else?
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]The past few days, I have NO signal on HBOHD and HDNET but HDNET Movies and Discovery are ok... then I check later and it is there again. This is annoying...Anyone else notice this?"[/font]

"A number of us have check this thread."

Every provider has growing pains not just V*. But to continually imply that D* has no HD problems is absurd and misleading.
Sorry, maybe not "watching enough D*" but I think the pq is great-Masters looked stunning to me btw-again sorry to undermine the theme of your post-just being honest.

my masters coverage was very good , because it was OTA...LMAO. Nothing is better. But frankly I do not think CBS has shown the high resolution of the 1080i they are capable of with the masters or the NCAA tournament.

vurbano said:
my masters coverage was very good , because it was OTA...LMAO. Nothing is better. But frankly I do not think CBS has shown the high resolution of the 1080i they are capable of with the masters or the NCAA tournament.
Tourney was pretty bad quality-most likely a problem at the source not D*

yup they musta rented crappy cams. same thing for the masters. I dont understand whats happening to CBS lately.

It seems like there is a dark side to the whole HD movement. When it's good its oh sooo good, but when the smallest calibration in the truck or on the camera isn't right it jumps right out and slaps you in the face.

I had 1 white dot then 2 and at first i thought it was my tv then noticed it wasnt on some channels.now im very releaved to know for sure its in the voom.

evilfud said:
I had 1 white dot then 2 and at first i thought it was my tv then noticed it wasnt on some channels.now im very releaved to know for sure its in the voom.
The white dots appear sometimes. Go back to the guide menu then back to the channel and they are gone.

Sean Mota said:
Bumping up this thread since there's so much talk about Video Compression and its effects.
From reading Wilts response to a user on here recently I am concerned that Wilt feels the PQ is fine besides the stutters.

Along with the normal degradation of hardware connections and equipment, I think, for me it’s almost a state of hypochondria. You read about pixilation and start LOOKING for it. Some of us remember how BETA was better than VHS. Now DVD (MPEG2) is the norm. When SDHD (Super Duper HDTV) is the norm, I'll start to notice the imperfections and need the next new standard. :)

xan_user said:
Along with the normal degradation of hardware connections and equipment, I think, for me it’s almost a state of hypochondria. You read about pixilation and start LOOKING for it. Some of us remember how BETA was better than VHS. Now DVD (MPEG2) is the norm. When SDHD (Super Duper HDTV) is the norm, I'll start to notice the imperfections and need the next new standard. :)
Good point. I remember how people were looking for MPEG-2 artifacts when the first DVDs arrived...

Welcome to the forum!

xan_user said:
When SDHD (Super Duper HDTV) is the norm, I'll start to notice the imperfections and need the next new standard. :)
Voom needs the next greatest thing NOW, there PQ is just barely above acceptable, there is no excuse for it. How about dropping/combining 1/3 of their HD channels so we can have 2 channels/transponder and get a decent picture? I'm for it. :D

vurbano said:
Never? I think all former D* users have seen them. Your not fooling anyone.
While i do agree Directv has pic Quality issues, VOOM has major equipment issues, MY voom hasnt worked in a week and i still have 5 days to go until i can get service. so when Voom actually starts working as it should i might actually be able to compare.

VOOM & Directv Subscriber

keno said:
I noticed the "white dot" in the center of the screen last night. It seems to appear on certain channels. What is it? Can it be corrected?
I found the easiest way to get rid of the white spot was to "activate" the guide, and then go "back" to viewing. It works every time.

But I've seen a deterioration of SD video. Lot's of pixelation (blocking?) and on some SD channels, there almost appears to be a "film" over the video. Some channels are worse than others.

Also, I'm getting a LOT of sparklies, especially on the Weather Channel and The History Channel. Any idea what causes this? I'm using a 24" dish, and the signal indication on the Voom box reads 99 all the time. Could the dish be off? I went with the 24 because the original 18" dish would only give a max signal level of 74, and the PQ basically sucked. For the most part, HD is fine, but the SD is lacking...

Karl

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)