Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hallowsend

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
Rawdon, Quebec
Another question from a 4D non-techie:

(I'm asking this in the C-band forum because of the pecularities specific to BUD. If it should be in another forum, please feel free to move.)

Am I correct in assuming that a VCR cannot record digital broadcasts? I have tried, without success, but I am not sure if my failure is because it is impossible or because I have it hooked up in the wrong place. Right now, the VCR is connected to the 905 Sidecar and Gi350i. Would it work if I hooked it up
to the video out of the TV? I am asking without trying it for myself because last time I removed the VCR from the BUD equipment, I lost my reception. I'm still not sure why.

If a VCR just won't work because, let's say, the formats are incompatible, what (hardware & software) would be required to record with a computer? I have a couple of spare PC's lying around.

If someone knows of a website with this info applicable to BUD users, I would appreciate a point in that direction.

Also, with a computer setup, could I record one program while watching another on the same satellite?

you should be able to record from the 905 to a VCR. I've recorded items to my hard drive/dvd recorder...just use the a/v cords (red/white/yellow) from the 905 to the VCR

I record all the time off my 922 to a VCR. I can't see why your having problems. Use composite video out & L&R audio to the VCR or use RF out to channel 3 or 4. The VCR don't care what your feeding it from as long as you have a signal it can recognize (analog NTSC). The above ways will provide this.

There are component and composite outputs on most boxes.... One works the other does not. The Yellow on the one that works says "video". Just guess how I know. And don't ask. My face turns red just thinking about it! The tech desk guys at that store still laugh at me when I come in.
POP

@#$%

I give up.

I've tried everything, followed all the diagrams in the manuals, probably even invented some connections that God never intended.

I can't get the VCR to 'see' channel 3. It goes through the autoscans and comes up empty.

Would some patient soul be kind enough to walk me through this? GI350i and 905 are in one end of the room, TV is in the other, if that makes any difference.

It sounds like you want to hook a coax cable between the 905 and a vcr. Make sure the cable is connected on the back of the 905 to the "To TV" connector and the switch just above the connector is in the channel 3 position. I would then connect a tv set to the other end of the cable just to make sure you get a good picture from the 905. Once you know you have a good picture on the cable, connect the cable to the vcr's "In from source" connector. Most vcrs will allow you to manual select an input source (like av1, av2, etc.) and also the channel. See if you can manually select the coax cable input as the input source and then try to manually select channel 3. It should work. Good luck.

Thanks Hermit.

I'll try this once hubby is done snoozing.

I seem to have bollixed up the analog reception/output to TV screen while trying various connections. If I switch off the Sidecar, I get snow instead of the blue menu screens.

I took some photos of the back of the units before I started messing with the cables, so I may be able to get back to Square One.

Stay tuned for further developments.

Thank God for foresight. Working from the photo, I've got my analog back. No VCR yet, of course, but at least I'm no longer further behind than when I started.

If I've done it properly, there should be attached a primitive MS Paint diagram of how things are currently connected. Uncoloured circles have no wires attached, colouring shows what is connected to what: yellow to yellow, green to green, etc.

This may help someone tell me where I've gone wrong.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Sat TV.jpg
    Sat TV.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 189
I modified your drawing. You can use either method 1 (AV Hookup) or method 2 RF. They will work if done correctly. If they don't work something is wrong with either your your VCR or sidecar.

Attachments

• TRYTHIS.jpg
    TRYTHIS.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 186
Tvpro,

Thanks for your reply. The AV method won't work as a permanent solution because the TV is on the other side of the room. I will hook up a portable to test it out, though.

Your RF method is what I have now. Blue to blue and then out to TV.

I'll try to set up the portable with rabbit ears and hook it up to the VCR to see if the VCR's autoscan can find anything and try to record it. If that works then, I guess, it's back to the drawing board.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)