VIDEO: Setting up a C KU band Satellite Dish from TEK2000

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Soniconyourroof

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
Ontario Canada
I have recently put up a c band dish and made some video's setting it up that I got from tek2000.
The first video is the Unboxing of the dish and the parts that came with it.

C+Ku BAND SATELLITE DISH UNBOXING

In the second video I set up the pole and pole mount!

With the third part Setting up a C Ku Band Satellite Dish Part 2 Dish, LNB, Actuator setup.

I was a good experience setting up this mesh dish I think it looks better than the old solid dish. I am still trying to tune the ark. after a few days setting things up and getting sun burnt I got things going good enough to get most of the ark. So i probably will do another video on tuning this thing!

Good that you did that. I purchased a dish from them early this summer and just about all the videos on youtube were very old. I haven't watched any of them yet but there are a lot of people that feel that this is beyond their ability and to have videos that show you what to do are helpful and may encourage others to take the plunge. There are very few non commercial people around that know how to work on the bigger dishes so it's kind of if it's going to get done you have to do it yourself in this hobby.

Hi,

Is that the 8 footer? I bought an 8 footer last month from Tek2000 and the polar mount that came with it seems very weak compare to yours. Also the bushing that I got were plastic which is pretty bad considering the threaded bar going through them seems to have cut threads (very sharp). I emailed tek2000 to see if they can send me brass bushing along with the missing declination bracket... hoping to get it soon... Sorta wondering if I got short changed on the mount itself (old stock?)... I had to unbend a few of the forks on the mount that'll hold the dish... I really doubt I got a 6th generation mount like the site says...

Stef

I watched as you bent the feed legs anticipating cracking one of the legs. I installed BUD's for 30 years and never saw a dish were the feed leg went between the quarter sections. I wonder if someone put the feed legs in the jig that makes the flats where the scalar mounts 90 degrees out of alignment. It would explain why you had to twist them into position. Did the additional metal between the quarter sections bend the square tubing out of shape. Just curious. Was the solid dish you took down warped?

Was it the same size as the one you installed? I installed a lot of spun aluminum dishes over the years and most of the ones I installed had a better signal than a wire mesh the same size. I couldn't see across the old dish from edge to edge to see if it was warped or not. Just thought I'd ask. I have been considering one of their 8 foot solid dishes for Ku.

I agree on the feed leg install. You are supposed to mount the bent feed leg to the surface of the dish not between the panels. Each end of the legs should be crimped inline with each other. If the crimped ends are perpendicular, then it was manufactured wrong. A bolt then goes through the feed leg hole and dish face to the back secured with a nut. You might have to drill the hole. The feed leg tab at the scalar ring will bend down to the correct angle. No need to twist it like was done in the video.

I agree on the feed leg install. You are supposed to mount the bent feed leg to the surface of the dish not between the panels. Each end of the legs should be crimped inline with each other. If the crimped ends are perpendicular, then it was manufactured wrong. A bolt then goes through the feed leg hole and dish face to the back secured with a nut. You might have to drill the hole. The feed leg tab at the scalar ring will bend down to the correct angle. No need to twist it like was done in the video.

You would think there would have been a hole already drilled through the square tubing where the bottom of the feed leg attached. From there, the other end should have been bent to the proper angle to attach the scalar. This may be a new configuration I'm unaware of, but it seemed a bit odd to me too. It makes it a lot more difficult for a first timer to get the focal distance correct. The dish itself looked good.

Trying to get the Declination right. I can get 91west to 107west those are what i normally watch anyway but am not able to get the whole ark I think i need to back off the Declination a bit but this bolt is a bit short I had the bracket the other way but was unable to get it to where the chart said the angle had to be.
I could try getting a longer bolt. Only then i will possibly have to take the dish off.

Attachments

• 20180320_161811.jpg
    20180320_161811.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 328
What is your exact latitude/longitude?

Is the post perfectly plumb (east/west/north/south)?

What is the current elevation mount setting?

What is the current declination mount setting?

What is the actual aimed elevation angle measured from 12/6o'clock on the top to bottom edge of the reflector when the dish is parked at the top of the arc?

If elevation is set right, feedhorn centered and at an aprox f/d ratio and skew (you could fine tune that one at the end) then it is all about getting declination at zenith and azimuths fine tuned at extremes.
Everytime you adjust the extremes you would need to go back and check your declination angle and viceversa. Takes time but if all else is set right you should be able to track the arc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you did the same thing I did. Reverse the lower bracket so it is facing forward instead of behind. That gives a lot more room for the bolt to push against. Unfortunately that requires taking the dish off the mount or supporting it on the ground to take the pressure off of it.

Reactions: Titanium
Unfortunately that requires taking the dish off the mount

I seem to notice a hole at the left of the circle ring, being for the actuator when mounted on the other side of the dish?
Can't you fix some some part between the polar mount and that hole, to keep the dish steady while replacing the bolt for a longer one?

I don't know the dish, though. This is only from seeing that hole on the picture.

Greetz,
A33

I seem to notice a hole at the left of the circle ring, being for the actuator when mounted on the other side of the dish?
Can't you fix some some part between the polar mount and that hole, to keep the dish steady while replacing the bolt for a longer one?

I don't know the dish, though. This is only from seeing that hole on the picture.

Greetz,
A33
I did this before and was able to move the bracket without taking the dish off. I think the place where i had to have my angle was a Catch 22 I could not get in the right spot so I thought a longer bolt might fix it. I will be looking at it later. It may take me a few weeks!

Is there a place i can check if the angel is right while the dish is on still ?

L14.59 L -90.58

elevation 14.59 declination 17.04,,
I have placed it in the other way and now I have a signal on my zenit satellite and it gives me for more declination

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)