view cable provider locals using receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

S43R80

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 22, 2004
Hi, I'm getting locals from my cable company instead of D*. It is kind of a pain in the ass to have to turn the receiver off every time I wish to watch a local channel. Well, is it possible to watch the local channels while using the receiver?

sometimes....you can turn a two way splitter around and switch the output off the receiver between ch 3 and 4 and actually "combine" the receiver with the cable tv.

if the tv has a/v ports, just wire the tv to the receiver with a/v wire and run the cable straight to the tv, use the input button on the tv the switch beteen a/v and cable.

buy cheap 20 dollar "channel modulator" and combine the receiver output on any unused(but clear) channel on the cable tv line.

get two tv's. (I have 4, all on at once, doing different things)

Which receiver is it? If it's a Hughes, then you don't have to turn the receiver off, you just need to hit the "Input" button below the "7" button. That switches the receiver's output from the tuner to the antenna in connection.

Newshawk said:
Which receiver is it? If it's a Hughes, then you don't have to turn the receiver off, you just need to hit the "Input" button below the "7" button. That switches the receiver's output from the tuner to the antenna in connection.

It's hughes, thanks.

Also, will there be a problem when recording satellite programs vs. cable programs? That is, if I set my vcr to record a certain channel, will it be able to distinguish between the "local" and "satellite" modes?

Hmm...now that I think about it, I'm wondering if my vcr can even record shows in the 3 digit range; anyone have any problems? I think I'll go play w/ it now.

If you have your receiver hooked up via the VCR then into the TV from the VCR it will record whatever is on the satellite which is transmitting via channel 3 or 4, whichever you have your vcr set to.

Can tivo be set to record programs coming in from an OTA signal?

just to put in my 2 cents, if you are referring to HD locals ... there is no way to make this work. with Comcast and the HTL-HD I can tune up to channel 180, but the HD locals are 6xx channels. I may be way off here but that is just what I picked up. If you are refering to SD locals ... why not get them from D* ?

Slacker, on the HD locals from the cable company you would still have to have their box anyway, as our HTL-HD boxes don't have QAM tuners and can't decode the digital signal.

I've been half tempted to call my cable company and get ther HD/DVR box just for HD locals.

Louisville is DMA market 50, so it may be a while for me. But, if all goes according to plan we may be back in Dallas this time next year. I will have HD locals for sure then.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

multiswitch help

Samsung TS-360 or RCA dtc-210?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)