Viewed BluRay at 1080p!!

JoeSp said:
On the BluRay I watched the demo by Samsung with the guy in the chair watching Samsung products -- this demo was very sharp! Very 3-d and the colours jumped off the screen. Next I watched the Chicken Little demo and that was about as sharp a demo as you could possible want. Great colour and definition.

I know what you mean. I have seen the same demo and was most impressed with Chicken Little. It made me think that there was yet hope for Blu-Ray. Then while going through my collection of SD DVDs I discoverd that my son has this title. So I could not resist trying it on my Toshiba. I have to tell you much to my surprise, the upconversion on the Tosh looked almost as good as the Sammy demo. There really wasn't too much difference at all. While I in no way think that Blu-Ray is dead yet. They better get their act together soon.

JoeSp said:
You are telling me that you watched that NHK watch demo in 1080p which demostrates the best that BluRay video can produce and you think the HD-DVD movie demo was better? You need to get your eyes checked.

I saw the BD demo @ BB. I forget the exact display set, but it was a large (60"+/-) Samsung DLP. Yes, the watch making part of the demo was impressive, crisp & clear. But it's only a demo! The watchmaking part was probably shot in HD video, the easiest source to encode for high def disc. And with demos, they only need a few minutes of material, very easy to encode at highest resolution & bitrate & fit onto a 25 GB disc. The problem, as Sony as repeatedly demonstrated, is fitting a 90 minute to 2 hour movie in high quality high def onto a 25 GB disc using inefficient mpeg2.

But, even with that demo disc, if you stick 'round long enough 'till they get to some of the "XXX" and "House of Flying Daggers"clips, even on a the demo disc they look like crap - macroblocking & compression artifacts galore. I laughed at that portion of the demo.

Yeah, when Blur-ay discs start getting encoded with VC-1 or AVC/mpeg4, they should approach the video quality of HD DVD - at twice the price. :rolleyes: But then you have the problem that BD doesn't have the advanced HD audio codecs - DD+ and TrueHD, or IME (In Movie Experience) with Picture In Picture, etc.

I found a site that list 12 BluRay players that will be out by or around Xmas. The majority of them (about 8) will record on BluRay. That might explain the ridiculous prices. I mean quotes were $1000 to $1800. Toshiba really priced their players at a great price. Now if they can just bring out a model with HDMI 1.3 in it.

JoeSp said:
I found a site that list 12 BluRay players that will be out by or around Xmas. The majority of them (about 8) will record on BluRay. That might explain the ridiculous prices. I mean quotes were $1000 to $1800. Toshiba really priced their players at a great price. Now if they can just bring out a model with HDMI 1.3 in it.
Crutchfield and manufactors websites can deny your allegations.

Check out this bluray site, 8 BluRay players, 12 BluRay Players/recorders and if you look a little closer -- 4 companies providing BluRay 50 GB rom discs.

http://www.blu-ray.com/

Most of the players will be out by Xmas with the player/recorders out the first quarter of next year. Also expected by the end of the first quarter, the first bluray movies using dual layer discs. As an interesting sidenote, seems most of the BluRay players only support one of the new lossless HD audio codecs.

Jesus, Joe, you're the worst kind of propaganda mouthpiece - you eat *anythying* they give you.

Did you read this site last year ort early this year? It was still full of BS about coming players and scratch resistant discs and triple layer BD-ROMs and such vaporware products when they already knew it won't be out for another a good year at least.

Bottom line is there are plenty of BluRay players coming out. 8 standalones and 12 units that will not only play BluRay but also record on BluRay. Whether they are out now or come out in 6 months they are on the way. And there are 4 companies that are making 50gb dual layer Rom disc right now. So the number crunch should be over by Xmas on the movie side.

I know this is the BluRay site but it shows alot of companies that are involved in bringing BluRay to the market. How about someone showing me a site that is doing that for HD-DVD. And while you are at it, show me the manufacturer that is making a HD-DVD player/recorder.

And T2k -- get a life. Why get upset when I post information on BluRay. You must have stock in Toshiba or M$. I have never said that HD-DVD was bad. I post information on both BluRay and HD-DVD. I tend to see better possiblities with BluRay down the road. I will purchase a HD-DVD player when one supports all the new HD audio codecs and also has HDMI 1.3.

Hell, its only money and you can't take it with you so lighten up. If you don't like BluRay -- fine. If you don't like Sony -- fine. Spend your money elsewhere -- they will not miss you.

JoeSp said:
8 standalones and 12 units that will not only play BluRay but also record on BluRay. http://www.blu-ray.com/
Did you notice that some of those pictures are dated 2004? :D
And some of those from 2006 are labeled "Technical Concept Demo" or "Technology demonstration"?

JoeSp said:
This unit sells for $3400 in Japan!!! OUCH!:eek:
That 472,500 figure next to Sony BDZ-S77, is that a price tag in ¥en?
That would be $4080 using current exchange rate.
I hope you are not expecting to see consumer Blu-ray recorders for $1000 any time soon. :)

JoeSp said:
Bottom line is there are plenty of BluRay players coming out. 8 standalones and 12 units that will not only play BluRay but also record on BluRay. Whether they are out now or come out in 6 months they are on the way. And there are 4 companies that are making 50gb dual layer Rom disc right now. So the number crunch should be over by Xmas on the movie side.

I know this is the BluRay site but it shows alot of companies that are involved in bringing BluRay to the market. How about someone showing me a site that is doing that for HD-DVD. And while you are at it, show me the manufacturer that is making a HD-DVD player/recorder.

And T2k -- get a life. Why get upset when I post information on BluRay. You must have stock in Toshiba or M$. I have never said that HD-DVD was bad. I post information on both BluRay and HD-DVD. I tend to see better possiblities with BluRay down the road. I will purchase a HD-DVD player when one supports all the new HD audio codecs and also has HDMI 1.3.

Hell, its only money and you can't take it with you so lighten up. If you don't like BluRay -- fine. If you don't like Sony -- fine. Spend your money elsewhere -- they will not miss you.

Joe,

it's not info - you're merely repeating any PR crap BDA throws up and/or makes Blu-Ray look better.

Okay, show me any concepts from any other companies other than Toshiba that are bring out HD-DVD players? All of those companies are listed as supporting BluRay and withing the next 6 months you will see something from them. Pioneer, Panasonic, LG will have their units out by Xmas. I'll ask the question again -- show me a site listing from other companies their HD-DVD players even if they might be bring them out? Anybody can flame information -- show me other manufacturers that are doing anything in the HD-DVD camp with hardware?

Vurbano, the new HD audio lossless codecs are 7.1 and up. Right now their bandwith will not pass over HDMI without the 1.3 standard. And from my recent reading they will not completely pass over the Analog either(without the dvd player handling all the sound field adjustments). I posted here months ago a site that explained the new audio codecs and why you would need HDMI 1.3. I will find it and post it in here again.

Last edited:
This is from thelookandsoundofperfect.com website.

Who makes HD DVD players?

HD DVD players are made by a variety of manufacturers, including Toshiba, Sanyo, NEC and LG. Check their websites to learn about the different models they offer.

It's just amazing how much misinformation and spin JoeSp posts on this forum! Why not check your facts before posting them? :D

Yes, Blu-ray Disc has more companies supporting it (on paper), and yes, there will be more players (and recorders too!) coming out of both camps within the next few months. But so far, HD DVD has delivered on its promise of superb picture quality and Blu-ray has failed to do that. That's a fact, and that's what really matters today, for many of us, anyway.

Sure, Blu-ray Disc still has a great potential and can still turn things around and win the Format War. There is nothing wrong in being a Blu-ray Disc supporter and being passionate about the format. But twisting all the facts in your favor doesn't help anyone, Blu-ray Disc camp included. Just my opinion.

Ilya said:
Yes, Blu-ray Disc has more companies supporting it (on paper)
Is this really true? Looking thru the threads http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=51497 and http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=51494 you get:

HD DVD supporters (with releases or firm release dates):
11 studios

BR supporters (also with releases or firm release dates):
6 studios

Seems like the smaller companies are going for HD DVD. I'm glad too, some of those BCI movies will be awesome in HD!

-John

I mean manufacturers. List of manufacturers currently in Blu-ray camp is definitly more impressive. However this doesn't necessarily mean anything, as history teaches us.

rockaway1836 said:
I know what you mean. I have seen the same demo and was most impressed with Chicken Little. It made me think that there was yet hope for Blu-Ray. Then while going through my collection of SD DVDs I discoverd that my son has this title. So I could not resist trying it on my Toshiba. I have to tell you much to my surprise, the upconversion on the Tosh looked almost as good as the Sammy demo. There really wasn't too much difference at all. While I in no way think that Blu-Ray is dead yet. They better get their act together soon.

Chicken Little is a piece of cake to compress.

It has low contrast, very little high frequency detail to contend with, and no film grain at all.

Cheers,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts