Viewsat Extreme Info?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sarcoptic

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Bondurant, IA
Anyone have any first hand experience with this box...looks like they added components and hardware related blind scan. Currently the VS2000 Platinum is doing blind scan via software. Any word on a review by Iceberg? Thanks!

never heard of the Viewsat Extreme until now. We'll see about the "blind scan" that the unit supposedly does. I've seen too many receivers say "blind scan" only to be a "network scan" or "TP scan" :)

For the sake of us newbies one and all, can someone give a REAL definition of "blind scan." That it is mis-used/abused doesn't help. I've read probably 5 different definitions all of which differ. I trust you guys to get it right. thanks.

Katrinasucks said:
For the sake of us newbies one and all, can someone give a REAL definition of "blind scan." That it is mis-used/abused doesn't help. I've read probably 5 different definitions all of which differ. I trust you guys to get it right. thanks.
Depends on the receiver - hehe. Pansat calls it Smart scan.

Regardless - the point is that the receiver will scan for transponders and for channels.

Shawn

Blind Scan or Smart Scan
What it does is the unit scans the frequencies for the unknown. Basically what my Pansat does is starts at 11.7MHZ and scans in steps until it hits a frequency. Then it hones in on the symbol rate…it works its way up to 12.2MHZ (the end of KU band). Usually it does one polarity first then starts back at the beginning and does the other polarity.

A Transponder scan scans a specific transponder in your unit

A Satellite scan scans all stored frequencies for a satellite

A manual scan (or PID scan) allows you to enter the PIDS for a channel

I was just going to ask about the Xtreme as well, but I guess it's really new. I was thinking of getting a Viewsat Platinum, but now that the Xtreme is out I was hoping someone could offer an opinion whether it's worth the extra money.

Thanks Ice, That's what I figured when I first heard the term but then I saw wild variations of it and was not sure what they meant.

I like the fact it has Component Video Output, although it would be 480.

I found this images while Googleing.. :D

Attachments

• Viewsat Xtreme.JPG
    Viewsat Xtreme.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 144
  • ViewsatExtremeback.JPG
    ViewsatExtremeback.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 164
I talked to the manufactures at Viewsat. The Extreme is a upgraded model from the Viewsat Platinum.. Just the 2 main features added is the blind search added in the hardware, and the component video.
They do have a blind scan feature update on the manfuctures support page (file is called Nov 8th) that is for people with a Viewsat 2000 or Platinum who want to add in the blind scan.

Viewsat Extreme

We do have the Viewsast Platinum AND the Viewsat Extreme now in stock, ready to ship.
Just visit the website or even call the number below to place a phone order.
If you want to save a little money and still go wtih a very fast fta receiver, I do suggest the Captiveworks receiver. We also have them in stock as well.. any questions just call us.
Thanks! and happy Holidays.

ftadirect said:
We do have the Viewsast Platinum AND the Viewsat Extreme now in stock, ready to ship.
Just visit the website or even call the number below to place a phone order.
If you want to save a little money and still go wtih a very fast fta receiver, I do suggest the Captiveworks receiver. We also have them in stock as well.. any questions just call us.
Thanks! and happy Holidays.

Looks like a very nice unit. I'll have to look into one soon. :)

Thanks FTADirect

Attachments

• 16975_big.jpg
    16975_big.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
I have an Extreme coming next week, and once I figure out how to set it up with my 4dtv BUD, I will write what I have discovered, and will attempt to field questions!
jeff

You can use high frequency (2ghz) splitters off the outputs from the BUD, but only your 4DTV receiver will be able to control polarity and motor the BUD (in other words, your FTA receiver on the other leg of the splitter will only see the same satellite and polarity that your BUD is set to via the 4DTV).

Still, this is probably the best way to run a FTA/4DTV system off of the same dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)