viewsat9000HD and c-band dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mapleleaf69

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Simcoe, Ontario, Canada
hey guys got a question on my viewsat hd.ive hooked it up to my old c-band dish with original lnb. when i try to do a blind scan it doesnt pick anything up but if i do a auto scan it will scan transponders that are in the menu and bring in channels.now if i hook up my vs extreme and blind scan with exact same settings it works fine. ive also hooked up the vs9000 to my motorized ku set up and it will blind scan just fine as it scanned in the 77w and i got a few channels.any thoughts as im puzzled on why this is going on.
thanks Mapleleaf

Mr Leaf have you set the LO freq in the satellite setup menu, for a c-band lnb (should be 5150).
And set up any switches that might be in there between dish and receiver?
Other than that, don't know much about that VS model, does it have real blind-scan or does it only do a TP-scan? (some of those HD boxes weren't equipped with true blind scan, you know).

edit: Ok I just downloaded the manual for it, and it doesn't have blind-scan. Only 'Autoscan" which is transponder-scan. You'll need to manually enter any new tp's on whatever satellite you want to search. Sorry.

Last edited:
well thats weird as it has a function in the menu to blind scan and i blind scanned in 77w last night on my other dish.i watched it scan in transponders and find channels.
also i dont have any switches hooked up and yes it is set to 5150. but thanks for trying

Maybe it does then, one way to find out is to delete all the transponders off a satellite's list, then scan and see if its finds them again. I'd pick a linear satellite rather than DBS. The manual doesn't say anything about blind-scan, only 'autoscan'.

hey guys got a question on my viewsat hd.ive hooked it up to my old c-band dish with original lnb. when i try to do a blind scan it doesnt pick anything up but if i do a auto scan it will scan transponders that are in the menu and bring in channels.now if i hook up my vs extreme and blind scan with exact same settings it works fine. ive also hooked up the vs9000 to my motorized ku set up and it will blind scan just fine as it scanned in the 77w and i got a few channels.any thoughts as im puzzled on why this is going on.
thanks Mapleleaf

I have it. I have it hooked to a 1 meter Winegard, Invacom Ku setup. Lousy blind scanner. Lousy motor control. Viewsat blew it with this receiver. They aren't worrying about that now though. They are worred about staying out of jail because of indictments.

well i think its safe to say that i will enter the transponders in manually.i downloaded the list from the site here of what sats i want so i should be in good shape(fingers crossed). thanks for the replys guys and happy testing.

Mapleleaf

I had a Viewsat for a while and the blind scan never worked properly. Always missed a lot of active channels. Manually entering transponders will work.

GL, Eric

I had the original Viewsat that "claimed" blind scan but never implemented it...that one got sold right away ;)

here is a c/p from the viewsat site.it clearly states the 9000hd has blind scan. so if this is true then why doesnt it work.

VIEWSAT 9000HD Close Window

Features
Technical Specifications

•Fully MPEG-2 & DVB Compliant
•Input Frequency 950-2150MHz
•200 MHz Conexant Processor
•32 Mb SD RAM
•Supports 7 Day EPG (Electronic Program Guide)
•Supports PIG (Picture in Graphic)
•Supports SCPC & MCPC from C / Ku-band
•1 LNB Input Tuner with Loop Through IF Signal
•Tuner Symbol Rate: 1-45MS/s
•New Universal Remote Control
•Fast Booting & Auto Scan
Hardware Driven Blindscan
•4000 Channel Programmable (TV & Radio
•Fast Channel Changing
•User Friendly 256 Colors OSD & Easy GUI
•Multi OSD Language supported
•Radio Channel Screen Saver
•Favorite Channel List Programmable
•Master PIN Code Function & Parental Lock Function
•100 Step Volume Control
•Automatic Detection of Forward Error Correction
•USB Host Interface (Only for USB Memory Stick)
•S/W Upgrade Supported by USB Port
•Window Based S/W Download Program Supported by RS232 Serial Port
•Set to Set Download (Main Program, Channel Data)
•4:3, 16:9 Letter Box & Teletext using OSD
•7 Segment-4 Digit Display
•5 Keys on Front Panel
•(Power On/Off, Channel Up/Down, Volume Up/Down)
•Various LNB Polarity Control
•22 KHz Switching Control
•Optical Output for Digital Audio
•S-VIDEO Output
•3 RCA outputs (2 Audio L/R and 1 Video)
•3 RCA Video Component Outputs (RGB
•RF-Modulator Output
•Rear Power Switch
Power Supply
Type: SMPS
Input Voltage: AC 95V~240v 50Hz / 60Hz
Fuse Rating: 250V/T2A

Tuner
Input Frequency: 950 ~ 2150MHz
Input Signal Level: -65 ~ -25dBm
Input Impedance: 75ohm Unbalanced
Connector Type: ‘F’Type Female
LNB Power Supply: 13V/18V, Max 500mA with Short Circuit Protection
22KHz Tone: Frequency 22± 4KHz, Amplitude 0.6±0.2Vpp
DiSEqC: 1.0, 1.2, USALS(1.3) Compatible
Channel Selection: PLL Frequency Synthesizer

Demodulator
Type: QPSK Demodulation (DVB-S)
Symbol Rate: 1 ~ 45 MS/s
Inner FEC: Viterbi Convolutional Coding
Rate 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8
Outer FEC: Reed Solomon Coding(204,188) T=8

Video Decoder
System Decoding: MPEG-2 ISO/IEC 13818-2
Profile and Level: MPEG-2 MP@ML
Data Rate: 1 ~15 MB/s
Video Formats: 4:3(Normal) & 16:9(Widescreen)

Audio Decoder
System Decoding: MPEG-1 ISO/IEC 11172-3 Layer I & II
Audio Mode: Mono, Dual, Stereo, Joint Stereo
Sampling Frequency: 32, 44.1, 48 KHz

Audio/Video Output
Audio Output: 2 RCA Cinch (1 on LIte Model)
Video Output: 2 RCA Cinch (1 on Lite Model)
Digital Audio: 1 S/PDIF Optical (Platinum & Xtreme)
S-Video: 1 S-VIDEO
COMPONENT: 3 RCA Cinch (Xtreme)

RF Modulator
Modulator Output: CH3~4
Video Type: NTSC
Output Connector: “F” Type Female
Ant. IN Connector: “F” Type Female
8. Serial Data Interface
Signal: RS-232, Max. 115200 bps
Connector Type: 9 Pin D-Sub (male)

The blind scan on the 9000 has never worked. I use my coolsat 6000 for blind scan then transfer the settings to the viewsat.

just because it "claims" something doesnt mean it works ;)

I've seen that blind scan listed too many times on receivers "feature charts" and it doesnt work or isnt even there. My Captiveworks CW-600 was another one that lists blind scan and had a button for it. Useless. It never worked right and seemed to only find the TP's that were already in the reciever

well i emailed viewsat usa this morning at about 7am and still havent heard back from them reguarding the blind scan function. also asked if there was some software that i might need to load to it to make it work properly. well i guess ill have to wait to see if they even email me back. i might even call them to see what they have to say and ill post what answers they give me.

The blind scan on my 9000 doesn't work either. I doubt you will get much help from their tech support.

There are several other features mentioned on the Viewsat 9000 HD that also does not work. The Blind Scan was supposed to be implemented with a software/firmware upgrade but never happenned. There is also a separate F connector on the back labelled "DVB-S2" , improved motor controls, etc but these were never released. I tried the blind scan on several sats (linear , horizontal, DBS) and defintely does not work.

The "Blind Scan" feature on the 9000 DOES NOT WORK. Never will.

I bought a 9000 myself because of that "feature" and DVB-S2 "support". I was pretty pissed off when it didn't work.

The dual tuner PVR works with one of the later eye-patch firmwares.

I hooked my 9000 up again to actually test out S2. After pointing my BUD at a known 9/10 fec signal the 9000 will repeatedly acquire and lose the signal. When it does lock (even if only for a second or two) the signal has same Q level as my Azbox. But, the Azbox keeps the lock and the channel is watchable. Another 1/2 fec S2 signal I don't even get a sniff of with the Viewsat. Anther 9/10 fec does the same thing: locks and then loses it immediately, blinking in and out. It never sees a sniff of signals needing a pilot.

So, it's good for HD, it WILL display MPEG4. Only does DVB-S (although the hardware will do S2.) The tuner chip is NOT blind scan capable IIRC. It may do software blind scan one day but hell will probably freeze over first.

well im so disatisfied im thinking of selling mine and ive only had it 2 weeks. i never did hear back from them so maybe a phone call is in order to see what happens.
i dont really see whats so hard to release a software update to fix at least the blindscan feature.well im sure ill never buy another viewsat product anytime soon. i always thought when your a company that has a good name each new product you make is better then the one before it.not the case here to say the least.

Mapleleaf69,

AMC 1 3740 v 29270 DW and ANT 1 both of those channels are AC3 audio can you scan the satellite to see if the 9000 decode AC3 audio out to the tv via the RCA cables,

Mapleleaf69,

AMC 1 3740 v 29270 DW and ANT 1 both of those channels are AC3 audio can you scan the satellite to see if the 9000 decode AC3 audio out to the tv via the RCA cables,

sorry but you cant get ac3 audio with rca cables.you will need the optical cable to get ac3 then be hooked up to some surround sound system. i have also heard you can buy a ac3 decoder box but im not familiar with that device. hope that helps and yes i am getting ac3 sound with the optical cord with the vs9000hd.

As the three principals of the company have been recently charged and pleaded guilty for crimes relating to the DMCA I doubt there will be any updates.

As for selling the box, good luck with that. I feel your pain. I paid full price/too much for mine too. If you get another box, I'd recommend an Azbox. It's a do just about everything box even if it only has a software blind scan. Has S2 and 4:2:2 capability which is a must in my book.

im gonna look into the azbox but this time im gonna do my home work a little bit better b4 i jump into a new box again.ive always trusted viewsat so i didnt think i needed to research the 9000hd box but i now know better.im just glad i only paid $100 for it so im not out to much cash.blindscan function is a must for me and dvbs2 along with the 4:2:2 is a added bonus if i can get it.
i did how ever email them again and also tried to call but i kept getting the no one available at this time message, feel free to leave a message.i figuired why leave a message if they cant even email me back.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)