Reality therapy:

WFL - failed
USFL - failed
CFL USA - failed
UFL - failed
WLAF (backed by the NFL itself) - failed
NFL Europe (backed by the NFL itself) - failed
XFL - failed

And, more or less, various attempts over the years to capture more time slots by the NFL itself, including the current Thursday night deal, have been met with nothing more than a tepid response.

People always say they want "more football". Until they are given it.

You know you're set when you're about to blow 100 million on a doomed project.
I forget who said it, but its true..."mo' money mo' problems"

Reality therapy:

WFL - failed
USFL - failed
CFL USA - failed
UFL - failed
WLAF (backed by the NFL itself) - failed
NFL Europe (backed by the NFL itself) - failed
XFL - failed

And, more or less, various attempts over the years to capture more time slots by the NFL itself, including the current Thursday night deal, have been met with nothing more than a tepid response.

People always say they want "more football". Until they are given it.

Never heard of CFL USA (unless your referring to US based CFL teams ie- Baltimore Stallions), USFL, UFL and WLAF

Reactions: madmadworld
I don't think it will work because there will be impatience but if they keep expectations in check, keep the WWE stuff out of it and market it as second league of some sort it could work. I doubt it would happen and I wonder what networks would air the games. Unless they decide to air some games on the WWE Network, who knows?

Instead of NFL competition, what they need to do is just position a minor league which pulls players that have no business being in college. Play those players for 3 years to prep them for the NFL, ala baseball's minor leagues.

The difference between the last time they did XFL and now? Online streaming. They need to keep it going for 5-10 years to give it a good chance as it may take time to get acceptance and an audience. I would welcome it. There is a new generation that may like it in today's age. Plus look at some of the rule changes and flags on plays that have been established since then. Didn't the XFL have few/no rules like that?

The difference between the last time they did XFL and now? Online streaming. They need to keep it going for 5-10 years to give it a good chance as it may take time to get acceptance and an audience. I would welcome it. There is a new generation that may like it in today's age. Plus look at some of the rule changes and flags on plays that have been established since then. Didn't the XFL have few/no rules like that?

It was more or less the same. Just different quality due to the quality of the players. They would have higher insurance costs due to the rules changes these days though, which would probably be one of their bigger expenses.

• There is no coin toss to determine which team will get the ball first. Instead of the coin toss, the action in the XFL will start before the game even kicks off. Player from each team will line up on the 35-yard line. The referee will blow the whistle and each player will dash to the 50-yard line where a ball will be placed. The team that recovers the ball has the choice to kick or receive.
  • There is no coin toss to determine which team will get the ball first. Instead of the coin toss, the action in the XFL will start before the game even kicks off. Player from each team will line up on the 35-yard line. The referee will blow the whistle and each player will dash to the 50-yard line where a ball will be placed. The team that recovers the ball has the choice to kick or receive.
  • Returning teams must run kickoffs back out of the end zone, unless the kick goes through the end zone.
  • The extra point will either be pass or run attempted only after a touchdown. The ball spotted on the 2-yard line. Eliminating the extra-point attempt by the kicker.
  • Receivers needed only one foot inbounds for a pass reception.
  • Defensive players may use bump-and-run tactics on offensive players down the field. Changed back to NFL rule eliminating the bump-and-run only after 4 weeks.
  • Teams have 35 seconds to get a play off after previous play is ruled dead and 25 seconds following any clock stoppage.
  • Quarterbacks who slide can be downed just by contact and can't be hit.
  • No in the grasp rule, the play stops when forward progress is halted.
  • College football overtime system was used. In overtime, each team will have at least one possession, a maximum of four downs from the opposition's 20-yard line, unless a defensive touchdown is scored on the first possession. However, if the first team scores a touchdown in fewer than four downs, the second team only gets that many plays to respond.
  • Offensive back is allowed in motion toward line of scrimmage before ball is snapped.
  • No fair catches are permitted, but the returning player is granted a 5-yard protected halo where a member of the kicking team may not encroach until the ball is touched. The kicking team may not cross the line of scrimmage until the ball is punted. At the same time, any punt traveling more than 25 yards past the line of scrimmage is a live ball and can be recovered by either team.

In an hour or so we'll get the official announcement of this new pro league. We'll see what they bring to the table, I'm always up for more football. I'd even go to games if they were in Vegas again. XFL was a lot of fun. It has it's place though, they aren't going to create an NFL alternative, and they need to not be adversarial about their relationship with the league. They need to fill a hole, rather than think they can carve a chunk out of the NFL's space.

If McMahon can relaunches the XFL it will be interesting to see if Trump or anyone for matter can relaunch the USFL. Actually I prefer watching the USFL over XFL anytime.

LMAO...the problem there is if there was to be another new football league like the USFL, it won't be the same as the original USFL. What helped the USFL before that worthless piece of sh*t convinced the other owners that they should play in the fall instead of the spring was the TV money from ABC (and ESPN), which in turn lured the likes of Jim Kelly, Herschel Walker, Steve Young, and Reggie White before they went to the NFL. It'll take a few superstar college players signing with a new league for it to get any type of attention. If money was the ultimate deal-breaker...NFL wins every time, and some people may take a look at the XFL because of the familiarity of Vince McMahon, but as long as the Shield is still alive and kicking (even despite the on and off-the-field nonsense), any new football league will have a faint chance at best in succeeding against the NFL.

Reactions: Clarbear

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts