Vintage TV - Device Connection (VCR)

mgill64

Original poster
Oct 26, 2020
Sydney AU
Hi There, I am after any ideas. I was told I could hook up a VCR to my Vintage TV via TV antenna Input?

Here's my set up:
LG Video Cassette Recorder RF Out -> Antenna 2 way connector on TV via a 75ohm to 300ohm transformer.

TV is a 1975 model and obviously has no composite inputs.

I cannot tune the VCR to the TV. I was told it would be Channel 3 or 4. Not getting signal whatsoever. I also assumed the LG VCR would have an inbuilt modulator, to convert signal.

Thanks in advance, Mark

It should. That old of a TV means it probably has two sets of antenna terminals, one for VHF and another for the UHF band. Channels 3 and 4 are in the VHF range so you’ll need to connect the RF out of the VCR to that set of screw terminals. If your 75-300 Ohm balan has two sets of 300 Ohm twin leads coming out of it, make sure the VHF goes to VHF and UHF goes to UHF.

Other possibilities include a bad 75-300 Ohm transformer, bad tuner in the TV, a bad RF modulator output on the VCR, a bad 75 Ohm coax cable, or bad F-connector(s) on the coax cable. Make sure you’re using RF Out and not RF In (I’ve done that before when hooking things up inside the cabinet, forgetting which is which when feeling for the connectors.)

If you have a new TV you can test with, the VCR’s RF modulator coax should connect to the TV’s antenna input. Most TVs still have analog tuning capabilities, but that’s not a given on anything in the last 5 years or at the lower end of the pricing tiers.

Most TVs still have analog tuning capabilities, but that’s not a given on anything in the last 5 years or at the lower end of the pricing tiers.
I think that was mostly an Vizio aberration. Most of the cheap TVs did have tuners as they really don't cost very much.

My vote is that either the TV-Game switch or the modulator has failed. Testing with a conventional 75->300 ohm balun would narrow it down to the modulator.

I don't know what TV system Australia used/uses,but if the tv and vcr aren't compatible it's likely not going to work.
Check the back of the vcr for a small switch that selects the rf output channel,try the other channel.
Some vcrs selected the output thru the menus in the vcr,of course if you can't see the output from the vcr,you can't see the menus.
Try hooking it up to a tv with composite and see what you get.

Wouldn't the VCR have the old analog system and not the digital system they use today? That's why I had to get rid of my vcr's was because they couldn't pick up the signal.

Everyone has different needs.

If you don't have the forethought to transfer your family memories to other media, you have to hang on to the film projectors or video equipment that they were recorded for.

There appears to be an uptick in interest in retro technology and recalling happier times that appears to be motivating some to look back. Many will be surprised when they discover that the drive belts have rotted or the electronics have failed.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Everyone has different needs.

If you don't have the forethought to transfer your family memories to other media, you have to hang on to the film projectors or video equipment that they were recorded for.

There appears to be an uptick in interest in retro technology and recalling happier times that appears to be motivating some to look back. Many will be surprised when they discover that the drive belts have rotted or the electronics have failed.
That's why I bought a turntable way back when with no belts. I can't say if it still works now but it did when I put back in it's box.:)

Reactions: FTA4PA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)