VIP 211 won't acquire signal

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jtrippe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
Wetumpka, Alabama
Last night I upgraded from Dish HD only to AT250 with HD Ultimate. While the CSR was on the phone I looked at the channels to make sure they were all there. All of the channels didn't show up so she had me do a soft reboot. On reboot the "acquiring satellite signal" for 119 came up as usual and started going through 0 of 5 on transponder 17. However, everytime it got to 3 of 5 the unit would flash and go back to 1 of 5. This happened over and over. We did a hard reset and the same thing. We did a check switch and all of the satellites showed up. I then called technical support and got the same results. A storm was coming so we stopped testing and they thought I should wait unitl morning. Well, the same thing again this morning with no rain or heavy clouds. Now, for the most part, all I get is a blue screen from the tv with no signal form the box. (HDMI connection) When I do get a signal from the box it does the same thing as last night. I've reset the box half a dozen times and done three check switches. Everything happened after I upgraded and was told to reboot. They are sending a technician, free of charge, tomorrow. I want to know if anyone has any idea what the problem may be? I would like to fix it myself so the tech doesn't have to come out.

I checked wiring/cables and everything was fine so that's should not be the problem. I'll check again and check the wiring in the attic.

any connections exposed to the weather should definitly be checked. take them apart, you cant always see water damage.

I had a very similar problem with acquiring signal not getting past step 3 of 5 whenever I scanned in OTA locals. Dish has yet to resolve that software issue, so I’m getting Dish locals free until they fix the software bug

I was able to reset by first restoring the factory defaults on the receiver MENU 6:6, then do a reset

I did the reset of factory defaults and tightened my connections and now everything works. I'm still having the tech come out to tweak my signals though. thanks for the advice everyone.

Edit: The tech was able to raise my signal strength on the 110, 119 and 129 by 20%. He said the original install was bad and that the last guy didn't even ground this dish.

Last edited:
I wish I could say that was uncommon, but I roll on it far too often. an ungrounded dish might work fine, or it can cause some really weird issues other times. good luck and I hope it all works out well for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)