ViP 622 & 722 Running Bug Thread

High all

When I turned my ver. D/L359, temps- High-138, Low-93, Average-122, VIP622 on today I was greeted by the searching for signal screen, a first for this unit. Not wanting to sit through that again. I watched some of the stuff I recorded yesterday, and noticed that only tuner 1 had recorded anything. After watching a 1/2 program I pushed the swap button to see if tuner 2 was EVEN there, it wasn't, so I went back to tuner 1 and tried a music channel, and got the "searching...."screen. In my "touch no wire" (former post), I had breakfast, and before I could finish everything was back to normal. Running in single mode, one Sony KD30XS955 crt type tv, both HDMI and components cabling. Not not sure where that leaves us other than frustrated, and knowing that a hands off approach works also.:confused:

When I had my 811, I had several bouts of signal searching to deal with. One night I spent close to an hour on the phone with a Dish tech and he gave up and set an appointment for me. The next morning it worked fine!

So the "hands off" approach worked. My 811 continued to search about twice a week, which is about the same as my 622 is doing. I was told that they sent a program correction that was supposed to stop the problem. I got the 622 about the same time, so I don't know if it worked.

So I wonder if they are correcting the 622 programming? I'm getting tired of spending an hour trying to get it to work and I don't like the hands off approach. I am about ready to try the "foot on" approach...

High all
After I posted last, I called the local retailer I bought and had the install done with, and reserved a new 622. Will do the exchange after Monday and will keep everyone apprised in the mean time. Hope all will do the same.

Well today when I turned the 622 on everything was fine, all recording done properly, after about an hour I got a "004" (check switch) screen. Per usual I clicked cancel and went about my way, This happened 3 times so far today and will keep the updates coming.

Last edited:
Well, I had my service call Saturday. When the tech came, the 622 was working. The previous signal loss/switch problem was Friday around 6:00 pm when I turned the TV on. I am getting better at convincing the 622 that ther switch is ok and regaining the signal -- it took only 15 minutes on Friday!

The tech decided that since I had the LNB changed on 7/4, that it must be the 622, so he ordered a new one for me. He gave me his phone number and said if it was still a problem, to call him and we would look at other things like repointing to 61.5.

So, I'll see if the new 622 helps...

I've had the 622 since saturday, hooked, via HDMI to my Samsung s5687 and audio amp. Audio is fine, hd is much better than the 811. OTA digital has a weaker signal than the 811 (NBC and CBS were 95 and 83, they now are 72 and 71). But that strength is fine for digital, as digital, if coming in, does not change with signal level.

The one thing I miss is being able to change the display with the PgUp/PgDn buttons*. The 622 automaticall is switching between 4:3 and 16:9 displays, but for the local OTA guys, who during non-HD hours, keeps the same data stream as HD, which gets intrepreted as 26:9 but is 4:3 on a 16:9 time base, can't be changed with the 522/ Now, I can change aspect with the Samsung, but only wide and not zoom, and I liked the 811's options better. My HD Settings on the 622 are 1080i, 16:9. I've tried other options to see if they would bring in the PgUp/Down buttons

* I see the display can be changed with the * Format key, so I am not disapointed, after all!

Last edited:
Had 622 installed on Saturday. Only problems that I notice are quick flashes of a black screen when I rewind or FF live TV or something DVR'd. I have a Dish 500 pointed to 61.5 as I am in NY with the 622 connected via HDMI to DVI. Having many problems with OTA as pixelated pictures when signal strentgh is 96% and audio is not matching to what the people are actually saying. I thought this was just a specific channel problem but its happening with ALL local OTA channels.

As posted earlier, I had a service call on Saturday because my 622 refuses to acknowledge that it is getting a signal. MY 510 on the same system has no problems.

It has taken me from 15 minutes to an hour to go through several coaxial disconnects and reboots to get a signal again, which in the past, lasted for about 2 days. Yesterday I came home to no signal again and after 2 hours of frustration, I gave up. Some of the messages I was getting were -- no signal to one or both of the tuners and a switch problem. The system information details said I had not received a signal on tuner 1 for 6 hours and the history showed one 3 hour period had 740,000,000+ signal interruptions. The dates for this information were all screwy, like 9/31/06 and 31/17/06. I turned it on this morning -- same thing. I guess this 622 is fried.

I am hoping the replacement ordered by the service tech (there was no problem when he was here on Saturday, so he guessed I needed a new receiver) comes soon. And I hope they send it to me and not the service tech -- Dish seems to be anal about non service people hooking up the 622.

Now I will lose some neat HD movies that I wanted to keep on my hard drive (Titanic, 2001, Independence Day, some of the Bond movies, etc.). So I am not going to be real happy even when I get the replacement up and running (assuming that it is a receiver problem -- no on seems to know)...

I received my replacement 622 yesterday and I could not get it set up -- basically the same "no signal problem" and a useless 38 step "check switch" procedure.

So it appears that the problem is with the connection or the LNB, not the 622. Strange though that the 510 receiver on the same set-up works fine with the current LNB...I have another service call on Saturday to address the problem.

I now have 2 622 receivers. I believe the original is a "D" and the new one is an "F". Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer the recordings on the D to the F? I understand the D and earlier models have a more extreme heat problem than the E and later models so I expect the F would be more reliable and I would like to return the D. I just don't want to lose the HD movies I have recorded...

grb:

If the 510 is OK (I'm presuming this is a 1-tuner deal) then it seems that one or a combination of a weak signal and Dish's proprietary one-coax-feeding-two-tuners technology is giving you trouble. It may be that this technology has difficulty with long cable runs, faulty switches or anything that drops the signal level.

Did they swap out the separator? Is there any way to run two separate coax lines to the tuners to see if the 622 will operate that way?

=NLK=

NLK,

The 510 is a one tuner receiver, However, when I had the 811 (one-tuner as well), I had similar problems with the 811, but I was always able to get it to work by disconnecting all cables, reboots, etc. Dish blamed that on a programming problem on the 811 that they claim was corrected about the time I got the 622.

I think it is a problem with the 622 receiver, but the condition of the LNB may be a contributor. Maybe the one coax is also a contributor, although we get a decent signal level (when we get one). The coax run can't be any more than 30-40 ft., so that should not be a problem.

Good point on the separator though. I'll make sure they replace it as part of the service. Another coax line could be run, but we're talking wall fishing and they won't do that (at no cost to me). And I don't know how they would connect it at the dish (another splitter?).

I have had my 622 for 4 months now and have one continuing problem. I have my 622 in the single mode. At least 1-2 times a day, in both live and recorded, I will just loose my picture and sound and the 622 will go to a blank screen. I must do a soft boot to correct this problem, and all is well again. I have contacted advanced tech support-to no avail. I have had similar problems since I received this receiver and have seen others in this forum having similar problems in the past, but have not seen any posts lately.

Does anyone have a work around for this problem?

Anyone else having problems with their OTA tuner on the 622? I went through a couple of pages but I wasn't going to go through 20 pages to see so I thought I would throw it out there. My 622 can't seem to hold onto the signal and it continually pixelates every channel that I have. Do I have a deffective OTA in my 622 or is it just a software bug going on? MY 942 had no problems at all so I don't believe its my setup but rather the box.

scott78945 said:
Anyone else having problems with their OTA tuner on the 622? I went through a couple of pages but I wasn't going to go through 20 pages to see so I thought I would throw it out there. My 622 can't seem to hold onto the signal and it continually pixelates every channel that I have. Do I have a deffective OTA in my 622 or is it just a software bug going on? MY 942 had no problems at all so I don't believe its my setup but rather the box.
What antenna are you using? The very first thing I ever recorded on mine was an OTA channel and that's what showed up on playback. Pixelated and complete signal loss. Man, I was so disappointed. All geared up to watch my first DVR recording and it was crap. I use a rabbit ears with an adustment knob on it and did'nt check the signal before I started. It was at 50% when I was sitting in my chair and dropped to 40% when I got up. Anyway, it was all about the antenna adustement. The receiver is working fine.

My antenna is fine. I have a Channel Master 3228 on a digital rotator. This isn't only when I am DVRing but also when I am watching it. I have signal strength at 90-95% on my CBS channel and it pixelates something fierce. Literally, my 942 prior to the install had no problems with pixelation using the same exact set up so I can't believe its something wrong with my antenna. I am just wondering if I should be calling and having this looked at or just wait and see what happens.

scott78945

I had the same problem with my NBC station.Signal strength 94-95 put an adjustable anntenuator on the cable before the 622 and knocked the signal down to around 75 and all is well.

Wow, BigBuck I will try that. It doesn't make much sense to me but I will try it though. Maybe the new OTA tuners can't take the strong signal? Weird...

NLK,

FYI -- I had my service call on Saturday and it turns out there was no problem with the 622. Although I have a straight line into the receiver from the dishes, they have a connector (threads each end) at the dish. This is done so they can check the signal with the meter. Turns out the connector was bad and no signal was getting through. I have no idea why I was able to get a signal before by rebooting, etc., unless the connector was just in the process of failing.

Anyway, if I have a similar problem again, this connector will be the first thing I check! It should have been the first thing the previous service guy checked, too before he ordered me a new 622...

High all!

I have the chance to exchange my 622 ser. D for a ser. E.
They replaced my LMB Sunday to no avail, (still have the check switch screen error 004), but I can live with that for a while.
What are the advantages for moving on to the ser. E, and would anything be gained by waiting for a later model?

I have fallen victim to the dreaded HDMI issue. Dish has already sent a new 622 and it should be here soon. They were suprisingly prompt about resolving the issue once I explained it. The HDMI just seems to have totally failed. It's too bad because otherwise that box has been perfect (ZERO crash/reboots).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)