ViP 622 & 722 Running Bug Thread

Spontaneous Reboot

I have read about the rebooting from the PIP after the L359 software; I have a different reboot problem.

Twice in the past 24 hours I have started a DVR recording, it plays a second, freezes with the description of the program still on the screen, then the screen goes blank, and it reboots.

Last night it did this when I was playing a SD recording; today it was a HD recording.

Anyone else having the same problem?

My Caller ID is not working... it WAS when I fitst got the box a month ago, but the past couple of weeks, it always shows un "NAME UNAVAILBLE" and "NUMBER UNAVAILABLE", even though the phone hand set shows the callers number and name!! Why would it suddently stop doing this?

I was watching a recorded SD movie last night and the receiver spontaneously rebooted. Nothing was being done to the DVR other than normal playback. It wasn't even recording in the background.

On the 921 you can turn off the display of the Caller ID to keep it out of your recording. It is still recorded in the log. On the 622 turning off its display stops its logging, too. Seems we need two switches, one for the log and one for the display.
-Ken

Reboots when recording

michaelgizzi said:
I have read about the rebooting from the PIP after the L359 software; I have a different reboot problem.

Twice in the past 24 hours I have started a DVR recording, it plays a second, freezes with the description of the program still on the screen, then the screen goes blank, and it reboots.

Last night it did this when I was playing a SD recording; today it was a HD recording.

Anyone else having the same problem?

This happens often for me too. My other reboot situation is playing back a currently recording HD show from the beginning before the recording is finalized = crash. Also reboots when changing HD channels while watching one that's recording. I'm at 24 reboots logged in two weeks. It would be more but I've conformed to its shortcomings at this point (at a great loss of functionality).

Check Switch-38 Tests?

I just had a tech out to repair my installation (original techs had put up a Dish500 for 110/119 and then hooked into my neighbor's 61.5 dish). He put up a separate 61.5 dish and some sort of LNBF (I'm not too up on that).

Anyway, when I go to run a Check Switch on my 622 I get Satellite Input 1 going through 38 tests, Input 2 going through 1, and when the test finishes I see I have the three sats on Input 1 but a red X through 119 on 2. That's it. Tech says: "I'm not touching this problem!". But we try the CheckSwitch test again and it all goes through correctly (i.e. shows all three satellites on both inputs) so I let him go.

I just tried the CheckSwitch again and experienced the same sequence: first try gave me 38 tests and nothing connected on 2, second gave me the correct three sats on each input.

I searched and saw another post in this thread about 38 tests but guy didn't have Sat 2 connected. Is this a separator problem or some obscure bug in the 622? If the former should I call E* back up and ask for a separator or a service call? After the torture of the past 7 days trying to get someone out here I'm kind of reluctant to get right back into it, but I will if I should.

Thanks (if I'm in the wrong forum my apologies, but thought this might be a bug).

=NLK=

nlk10010 said:
I just had a tech out to repair my installation (original techs had put up a Dish500 for 110/119 and then hooked into my neighbor's 61.5 dish). He put up a separate 61.5 dish and some sort of LNBF (I'm not too up on that).

Anyway, when I go to run a Check Switch on my 622 I get Satellite Input 1 going through 38 tests, Input 2 going through 1, and when the test finishes I see I have the three sats on Input 1 but a red X through 119 on 2. That's it. Tech says: "I'm not touching this problem!". But we try the CheckSwitch test again and it all goes through correctly (i.e. shows all three satellites on both inputs) so I let him go.

I just tried the CheckSwitch again and experienced the same sequence: first try gave me 38 tests and nothing connected on 2, second gave me the correct three sats on each input.

I searched and saw another post in this thread about 38 tests but guy didn't have Sat 2 connected. Is this a separator problem or some obscure bug in the 622? If the former should I call E* back up and ask for a separator or a service call? After the torture of the past 7 days trying to get someone out here I'm kind of reluctant to get right back into it, but I will if I should.

Thanks (if I'm in the wrong forum my apologies, but thought this might be a bug).

=NLK=
The 38 step check seems to be a default if no switch is detected. I have 2 500 dishes -one exclusively for 129. From June 24 to July 3, my dish was pointed to 61.5. On July 4, Dish repointed it to 129 so I could get my local HD's. On July 9, I started getting messages -- 502 was a common one. The basic message was the same -- my switch had a problem. It took about 1 1/2 hrs. to finally get reception -- it was giving me the 38 step check too. Finally it went to the 3 step check and it was working again. The Dish tech who I talked to for the first 1/2 hr. could not get it to work through the normal rebooting processes and he set up an appointment for me for 7/15.

Yesterday, I got home and the same 502 message was on the screen. BTW, the 510 receiver in the bedroom has no problem with the switch. The information on the system said it had been down for 6+ hours and had 700,000,000+ signal interruptions that day!

It took another 1 1/2 hr. for the 622 to recognize that in fact the switch was there and it worked again through the evening.

I don't know if this is a 622 bug or a Dish system bug. This is the same problem I was experiencing with the 811 and they claimed they fixed it with a software upgrade. However, it is much harder to get the 622 operational than the 811 -- 1 1/2 hrs. vs. 15 minutes. Since the 510 receiver is unaffected on the same system, I expect it is a 622 bug.

Last edited:
grb:

Since only the 622 seems to have the problem (for both of us) could it be a separator problem? I don't know how the LNBFs and switches work so I couldn't even venture a more sophisticated guess, but the separator does seem to be a possibility (as well as the 622 software, of course).

I haven't yet experienced the 622 not connecting. It's possible it's dropping the signal when I'm not looking ( :) ) but so far I haven't seen any problem with the picture, other than rain fade. The only anomaly is when I run the Check Switch. My guess is this might get worse, in which case I'll call them up. Between this issue and the lousy job mounting my 61.5 dish the last tech did I have a feeling Dish tech support and me are going to become REAL familiar, real soon. To be fair, the techs I've gotten so far have seemed to listen and be responsive, but that may be because I'm still within my 30-day guarantee period. We'll see.

If you can, please post and let us know what happens when (if) the Tech shows up.

Thanks.

=NLK=

nlk10010 said:
grb:

Since only the 622 seems to have the problem (for both of us) could it be a separator problem? I don't know how the LNBFs and switches work so I couldn't even venture a more sophisticated guess, but the separator does seem to be a possibility (as well as the 622 software, of course).

I haven't yet experienced the 622 not connecting. It's possible it's dropping the signal when I'm not looking ( :) ) but so far I haven't seen any problem with the picture, other than rain fade. The only anomaly is when I run the Check Switch. My guess is this might get worse, in which case I'll call them up. Between this issue and the lousy job mounting my 61.5 dish the last tech did I have a feeling Dish tech support and me are going to become REAL familiar, real soon. To be fair, the techs I've gotten so far have seemed to listen and be responsive, but that may be because I'm still within my 30-day guarantee period. We'll see.

If you can, please post and let us know what happens when (if) the Tech shows up.

Thanks.

=NLK=
I was able to get the system to perform the 3 step check switch yesterday(finally) by disconnecting one of the 2 tuner cable connections. The first disconnection still did the 38 step check; the second disconnection enabled a 3 step connection. It still came up as an error, but reconnecting the disconnected tuner eventually produced a positive result.

If I were you, I wouldn't do any more check switch tests unless you have a problem. This test may trigger a "perceived " problem that may cost you more headaches.

I will let you know what happens during my service on 7/15. However, my history with this kind of issue (811) is that it work work fine while he is there and he will probably end up replacing the lnb as his guess as to the problem.

BTW, your installation is guaranteed for 90 days and starts over again if they come out within the 90 days.

Glad you have it working (for now) and I definitely will follow your advice. I won't do any more check switches. We'll let things develop as they may. I have enough on my plate right now as it is.

I'm sure a good stiff wind will unseat my dish and chances are we'll get one of those within 90 days. I just don't want to argue with the techs who are going to tell me that if I still get the signal there's nothing they can do. I DID, however, have them add a note to my account to the effect the dish will be coming down soon. :)

Good luck on Saturday.

=NLK=

Just got the "502, hope it doesn't become the "ole 502". The picture came back on it's own and then went out again, so I did a hard reboot, (unplugged) my 19 day old 622 for about 5 min. It went through it's normal start up and seems to be fine now.
I just plugged in a HDMI cable, 6 days ago, and didn't want to mess around with the wires in back!

nlk,

I came home after work to the same problem -- no signal. The "searching for satellite signal" progress was at 0 out of 5 and made no progress.

I am getting better at restablishing signal -- only took about 1 hour this time! Disconnecting the cable at both receivers, rebooting several times, disconnecting tuner 1, disconnecting tuner 2, etc. I'm not sure what finally gets it to do the 3 step test instead of the 38 step test, but once the 3 step test begins, it usually recovers the signal in at least one tuner.

This is getting old real quick. I just hope the tech is good enough to figure out what is wrong, even if it is working when he arrives for the service call. This problem is so similar to the problem I had with the 811, it almost seems that Dish has an ongoing problem between HD receivers and the recognition of switches. The 510 I have on the same system doesn't seem to think there is a switch problem but I have to take an hour to convince the 622 that there isn't a switch problem...

Last edited:
grb:

As I said, there probably IS an issue with CheckSwitch and the 622, whether it's because of the separator or something else. As I haven't (yet) experienced the 502 problem on a 4 week-old 622 (or 211) perhaps we could isolate it to a difference in configuration.

1. I'm using component to my TVs (not HDMI).
2. I have a 211 connected to an HD LCDTV and the 622 to a DLP HDTV.
3. There is a coax running from the Home Dist output on the 622 to the RF cable input on the LCD TV.
4. I have only two receivers: although I'm not versed in LNBFs when I DO get the CheckSwitch screen it shows, I believe, a TWIN under 110 & 119 and a Dual under 61.5 (or the other way around, but most likely not).
5. Last I looked (about a week ago) I had the latest software version on each receiver.

If there is a difference in configurations then that might give us a clue. Let's see what your Tech says. While there are a number of them, I'm sure, who are very good there are also MANY who are incompetent and/or lazy (basically the only type I was sent). Here's hoping you get the former.

=NLK=

nlk,

re above:

1. same to 622 -- RCA to 510
2. 622 serves Sony LCD rear projection (single TV only for 622)
3. coax to separator; coax to each tuner (is there any other way to connect?)
4. will check nomenclature of switches tonight (when I go through my daily reboot).
5. assume latest software (upgrades without permission).

I was pointed at the 61.5 for 9 days (separate dish 500) before they came back to repoint to 129. Problems began 5 days later. I am wondering if this has anything to do with the problem. The 129 has given high enough signals (69-87) but I understand it wobbles and signals drop during the wobble. I am wondering if this would cause the loss of signal lock, confuse the system and force me to take several steps to convince the receiver that it does in fact have a signal.

I'm not a techie, either -- I'm just looking for common sense answers!

grb:

My guess is an intrinsic 622/separator issue exacerbated by weak signal. I have heard said that 129 is very weak. I'm on the East coast and 61.5 is supposed to be better but I still get much more rain fade than I did with my D* setup.

However, the crucial issue is if anyone else is experiencing the problem. Since no one else has chimed in it might be worth it for them to swap out the separator and/or 622 and repoint 129.

Let's see what the tech says.

I REALLY like E*; the programming and quality, when it works, are great and the 622 is phenomenal, again when it works but it seems I'm always waiting "for the other dish to drop". :)

=NLK=

Sounds like I might have the same problem, and I have a slightly different configuration which might help sort out the issue.

Got my 622 4 days ago. Since then I have had a number of problems:

- Channel will pixelate severely, and then freeze. Sometimes I can change the channel, other times I have to reboot.
- Three times the system has spontaneously rebooted itself.
- Three times the system has frozen up, and I have had to unplug to get it working again.

So last night after having my recording of a show my wife wanted to watch ruined because of a freeze and spontaneous reboot, I called tech support.

We checked my signal strengths, and 129 was only coming in at around 65 to 70, which he said was low since I have two 500's, not a 1000. We ran a check switch. When it was complete, the three satellites on tuner 1 were fine, but on tuner 2 they were all showing "Conn" but with a red X for each of them, and a message saying it failed on Tuner 2.

I have an unusual installation, my original 522 installer ran two coax cables from the satellite instead of one using a splitter. So he suggested I unplug the sat inputs, and switch them, so we could see if it was a Tuner 2 problem or a cabling/satellite problem. Anyway, after numerous check switches, with the cables switched back and forth, we discovered that it didn't matter which cable was plugged into which tuner, it always failed on tuner 2. He said this pointed to a bad tuner, (since both cables would always connect fine on tuner 1) and is sending me a new 622.

At first he wanted to charge me $15 shipping, but I argued that it was a new install which had failed and he waived the charge. Still can't believe they wanted to charge me.

One other thing, I finally last night managed to get it to work on tuner 2, and then left it as it was. It seems like it might just be really touchy, or be failing intermittently. There is something seriously wrong with that tuner.

So here are my questions:

- Could this still be some kind of satellite cabling problem? Since I switched the cables and they both worked on tuner 1 all the time, I should be fine from that perspective correct?
- What level of performance is acceptable to dish? What I mean is will they keep sending people out if I continue to have problems? 90% of the time it works great, and I love the interface and the HD picture, but the reliability is critical if I want to be able to record shows and know they will be there.

Anyway, thanks, I just wanted to add my experience so that maybe it would help. I will let you know how the new receiver works when it arrives.

Jolard...

let's put it this way. If your Tuner 2 is bad so is mine and so is grb's, etc. Perhaps it's a bad "batch" of 622s, but I somehow doubt it.

The tech seems to be implementing a logical but incomplete strategy. Yes, normally, switch the feeds around and Tuner 2 always fails seems to point to a bad Tuner 2, but on the 622 w/separator I'm sure there are other possibilities.

I hope your new unit works flawlessly. Let us know.

=NLK=

Of course I will post my results when I get the receiver.

It is just such a pain, and the wife acceptance factor is dropping dramatically. We went from a flawless 522 to a flawed 622, and so far we can't even trust it to tape a show, wheras we NEVER had a problem with the 522. The cabling is exactly the same on our 622 as it was on our 522 (with the addition of a second dish plugged into our first dish), so I am hoping it is the receiver.

Since I don't have a splitter, it seems that is out of the picture.

I guess I just hate beta testing!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)