ViP 622 & 722 Running Bug Thread

Stacy A
I read all the post about the problem and bought a 20db attenuator and will work with it when I get home tonight. I realize this may not work but for the small price it's worth a shot. Since my signal is great going through my Sony it sounds like after reading everything it would seem if we had a better tunner in the receiver it would solve it, but this is worth a try. Thanks for your help.

Yes! Like I said, All of these functions perform flawlessly through the HDMI output, but the HD resolution(720p & 1080i) output through the component cables are magnified or "Zoomed". I should call Tech support, but I find it strange that the output(Component) works fine in the lower resolutions(480i & 480p) but not the HD resolutions. Apparently, this is not a common "Bug" with the Vip622.

Maybe it's a TV input issue. Have you used the same input for HD resolutions with any other component before?

Success. My OTA tuner in my 622 was losing it's signal on a regular basis. This is what I found out, with this tuner if it gets to strong of a signal it will lose the signal. I put a 20db attenualor between my RCA indoor anntena that has adjustable 45db gain amp. From here I had to play around with the settings. The bottom line when watching my strongest channel I have to adjust the antenna. It seems to keep all readings between 70 and 79 works best for me. I have no problems with the tuner in my Sony. If Dish people are reading this it would seem they need to get a better tuner in the 622. As a backup I put a bow tie antenna directlly to the Sony, which works great, but I can't use the DVR that way. I would agree with Stacy A the 8VSB tuner is having problems with multi-path problems.

Success...If Dish people are reading this it would seem they need to get a better tuner in the 622...
What needs corrected is the stability of the ATSC AGC that is poorly tuned, as it can not interpret certain data signals from some broadcasters. Just to make my point, I put the attenuator (the one that came with the ViP 622 receiver) and installed it to the ATSC's input. The tuner actually overcompensated and increased in signal strength by around 5 points. I added another same make/model attenuator, which doubled the attenuation. This time the usual signal reading to drop around 20 points. The ATSC tuners in the ViP series need some attention from the engineers so they can adjust all of them with a firmware update. These tuners should work normally like the mass majority of other brand tuners. I just hope that the, "Dish people" you mention, begin to genuinely care about this problem with their ViP ATSC tuners and get it fixed soon.

When they first installed my 622, I was constantly losing my OTA signal. The reason was because of how they installed the diplexer outside the house. They had installed it before the DPP44 switch, and it should have been installed after the switch. Problem solved!. Now if I could retain my OTA guide for the two local HD channels not offered by DISH (WRAL & WRAZ in the Raleigh area), I would be a happy camper.

Yes! Like I said, All of these functions perform flawlessly through the HDMI output, but the HD resolution(720p & 1080i) output through the component cables are magnified or "Zoomed". I should call Tech support, but I find it strange that the output(Component) works fine in the lower resolutions(480i & 480p) but not the HD resolutions. Apparently, this is not a common "Bug" with the Vip622.

Sounds like your component input needs to be calibrated. Each input into a display needs to be calibrated seperately for optimum performance.

I have not read through the whole thread, just the last 10 pages or so, and have not seen anything about the problems I have experienced with my brand new 622. Here's what I have:

Setup: Dish500 twin duals + second dish with a dual for 61.5, all legacy into a SW64. Also have a 508 in another room.

Problems:
1. Slight dark bar on picture when viewing in 1080i on component output. Problem not visible in 480p or 480i on component.

2. On TV1 S-vid or composite outputs, picture appears slightly blurry. Tried switching outputs and inputs - tuner 2 looks fine, tuner 1 is slightly blurry. Perhaps a HD to SD conversion problem? The problem seems to go away in single mode, or just after switching back to dual mode. When switching back to dual mode, going out to the menu, then returning to live mode, the problem returns. The menu looks fine on both tuners - problem is only visible when viewing live programming.

3. UHF distribution output does not have consistent signal level. I had to use a distribution amplifier to get a relatively clean signal throughout the house. When changing channels on tuner 2 and viewing on the UHF output, the picture becomes noticeably weaker (snowier) on some sat channels than others. I presume it has something to do with the change in switching voltage as the 622 looks for different transponders. Possibly a bad power supply? I have not done the research to determine which transponder on which sat is being tuned when the signal level drops, but it is consistent and reproduceable.

I really enjoy the 622 overall, but these seem like pretty major problems. Does anyone else think I should send it back and try again? I have only had this thing for one week and leased it from Dish.

Had a new one tonight, tech said it wasn't one they heard of before.

timed recording on a local HD station was going on tuner 2. Tuner 1 was on a SD channel. After 12 minutes into the recording my son hit swap to go to tuner 2 and watch the recording.

The screen froze and the receiver became unresponsive. (not unusual, but wait for it)

Did a front panel reset and eventually the receiver started acquiring satellite signal. But it go to 3 of 5 and just sat there. After a couple minutes the Red record light came on. But no further progression on the acquiring screen. After about 10 minutes we front panel reset again.

This time it comes up fine, a couple minutes later it starts recording the timer again. I look at the DVR menu and I have 3 instances of the show. The first is 12 minutes and represents the time before the first freeze. The second is 5 minutes and appears to represent what it was doing when stuck at 3 of 5. And the last one was the restart it was currently doing.

Hmm, thought it was pretty weird.

I have not read through the whole thread, just the last 10 pages or so, and have not seen anything about the problems I have experienced with my brand new 622. Here's what I have:

Setup: Dish500 twin duals + second dish with a dual for 61.5, all legacy into a SW64. Also have a 508 in another room.

Problems:
1. Slight dark bar on picture when viewing in 1080i on component output. Problem not visible in 480p or 480i on component.

2. On TV1 S-vid or composite outputs, picture appears slightly blurry. Tried switching outputs and inputs - tuner 2 looks fine, tuner 1 is slightly blurry. Perhaps a HD to SD conversion problem? The problem seems to go away in single mode, or just after switching back to dual mode. When switching back to dual mode, going out to the menu, then returning to live mode, the problem returns. The menu looks fine on both tuners - problem is only visible when viewing live programming.

3. UHF distribution output does not have consistent signal level. I had to use a distribution amplifier to get a relatively clean signal throughout the house. When changing channels on tuner 2 and viewing on the UHF output, the picture becomes noticeably weaker (snowier) on some sat channels than others. I presume it has something to do with the change in switching voltage as the 622 looks for different transponders. Possibly a bad power supply? I have not done the research to determine which transponder on which sat is being tuned when the signal level drops, but it is consistent and reproduceable.

I really enjoy the 622 overall, but these seem like pretty major problems. Does anyone else think I should send it back and try again? I have only had this thing for one week and leased it from Dish.

OK, an update to my previous post...

I checked it out and found that the signal level of the UHF modulator decreases when the DVR tunes to an even transponder. Signal comes right back up when tuned to an odd transponder. Yes, before you ask, I am using diplexers - the less expensive RCA ones. I am using a good quality Winegard UHF amp to compensate for the loss and distribute a reasonably good signal throughout the house. After some experimenting I found that the lower I set the channel number of the UHF modulator the better the picture got. I now have it set to channel 21 and the signal level seems to be consistent regardless of transponder polarity. I still think the power supply in this thing may not be beefy enough to run the UHF modulator properly, but at least I have it working OK now.

Also, the blurriness that I mentioned on tuner 1, as well as a just-noticed red band that seems to come and go at random right in the middle of the screen, seems to go away when I set the HDTV settings to 480i and 4x3 #2. Looking more and more like a problem with the downconverter on the TV1 side. Not an issue on the TV2 side since (just a guess) it is 480i all the way through. Fortunately I am not using it for HD at all (not even OTA) so it is not an issue at this time. It is still under warranty for a year so I will wait and see if that new software coming out soon will address the issue.

I still really like it though! :D

Video stutter in single user live mode and playback, SD and HD, is making this thing unwatchable. Audio pop is annoying. Is the receiver bad or is it the software? Anyone know any workarounds?

New for me, 30 day old 622 (5 Feb 07) I noticed wed. AM the power and dual mode light on, turned TV on and great pic on ESPN HD hit guide and it showed only a faded partial screen- hit cancel and full screen ESPN - hit guide same partial pic so tried front panel reset and 622 would not reboot - panel lights would flash and screen flash about every 5 min. Did a unplug for 15 min. same results - 45 min. unplug with same results. Called dish - went thru same things again , same results. New 622 2 days later, took about 15 mins. to activate and works great so far. Great CSR that knew his business very well. HI temp 125 - LO 97 - AVG 111. This was the first problem with set.

Since 622 software 366, I can't tune in local Fox OTA WFTX CH36 (CH35DTV) in Ft. Myers, FL when they have SD content. Only audio with black screen appears. Channel tunes in normally when HD content present. When tuned in with HD content, when SD content appears, channel remains normal. When tuned away, then back it does not tune in until HD content returns. When recording to DVR, channel can be tuned away (to satellite Ch) and back successfully regardless of SD or HD content. When Recording stopped, problem reappears. Neighbors Direct TV digital OTA receiver has no problems. Signal strenght steady at 92%. Tech service said they're a satellite company and don't guarantee OTA performance. This 622 has worked flawlessly since new last spring until 366. One step foreward, two steps back!

My receiver in the single mode has a blury picture. The guide is not sharp like it used to be the hd channels are not what they used to be. To verify this I played back some hd stuff from the hard drive that I recorded before yesterday and it is very sharp and now channels like HDNet look good to be optimistic. Only our channel 11 NBC from minneapolis has good hd right now 5:03 PM with live news the rest is just plain shity. Boo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)