VIP 622 Fast Forward

Club Chapin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
I'm new to Dish and the VIP 622. I'm a former comcast customer and must say that overall I prefer both the Dish hardware and dish service to Comcast's.

The one thing that I p[referred about the comcast DVR is that when FF'ing, then hitting play it did a very good job of starting where you wanted it to start, ie FF until the show starts again and press play and it would not play from that point, but from a point ahead of where you press play and it (I?) was pretty good at starting right at the start of the program segment.

The VIP 622 by default does not do this. When FF'ing, when I press play it pretty much seems to play from that point forward, which leaves me to miss part of the show or screw around trying to back up to the beginining of the segment.

Is this behavior adjustable somewhere in the set-up? I had a look and could not find it.

Thanks, Pete

I suggest you start using the skip forward and skip backward buttons. As a former Tivo user I always used the FF button, but once I started using the skip forward I've never gone back.

Yes, don't use ff, but skip forward. IT skips ahead 30 seconds, and the skip back is 10 seconds. If you press the skip forward button as soon as the show goes to commercial, usually pressing it about 5-6 times will get you directly to the when the show starts again.

Wow. I never noticed the skip buttons. This rocks! Thanks!

Did you know that this thing has PIP?

Thanks again, Pete

RobertsD said:
Yes, don't use ff, but skip forward. IT skips ahead 30 seconds, and the skip back is 10 seconds. If you press the skip forward button as soon as the show goes to commercial, usually pressing it about 5-6 times will get you directly to the when the show starts again.
Yeah, when we had the 522, we got pretty good at skipping commercials with that 30-second skip button. Safe to say, any commercial break was going to be 2 min minimum, so (4) quick presses of the button was a good start. Not enough ?? Hit it (2) more times for a 3-minute break.

I do think the OP might have SA's 8000HD or 8300HD HD-DVR. There's something really "smart" going on with it's "play" button. My wife and I both noticed this after using it for a while.... You could FF through commercials at 2x, 3x, or 4x speeds (no commercial skip button) and even if you went just a bit too far into the program, hitting the Play button would cause it to in fact back up "x" seconds and typically start at the end of the commercial break. This happens TOO often to be luck or coincidence. In fact, I suspected that there's logic built-in that says commercials are typically in 30-sec segments so, as an example, if I FF for 2m 8s, hitting play actually backs up to 2m and starts.

with my 522 i use the skip-forward and skip-back buttons... but on my series2 tivo I use the fast foward button, because it automatically skips back a few seconds when you press play... very nice feature

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)