ViP 622 making noises

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

aviation76

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
DFW, TX
Hi everyone,

My ViP 622 is making an audible hissing noise. It's driving me crazy because the unit is located in my bedroom. I suspect that the hard drive is on its last leg. Is that a correct assumption? I rebooted it a couple of times and the sound is still there. The unit is 5 1/2 years old and has been performing like a champ since I got it. I was going to call Dish tech support but I wanted to bounce this off of the experts in this forum.

If I were going to get a replacement unit, will Dish send out another ViP 622? Not sure if refurb 622 units are still in circulation.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

My ViP 622 is making an audible hissing noise. It's driving me crazy because the unit is located in my bedroom. I suspect that the hard drive is on its last leg. Is that a correct assumption? I rebooted it a couple of times and the sound is still there. The unit is 5 1/2 years old and has been performing like a champ since I got it. I was going to call Dish tech support but I wanted to bounce this off of the experts in this forum.

If I were going to get a replacement unit, will Dish send out another ViP 622? Not sure if refurb 622 units are still in circulation.

Thanks!

Have you checked it for snakes? :D

Seriously, though, I've seen pics of receivers taken apart with things in them like little critters. Also, on what you can check, does it sound like it's the fan? I've not heard of a receiver hissing, but I do know that when they get too hot, or have too much accumulated dust in them, the fans may work harder, or may be making more noise.

If it's the same or similar to a fan running constant or making too much noise, call in. Most likely, after checking a few things, the receiver will be replaced. It may well be replaced with another 622.

Yes, call. Yes you will get another 622. Might be a good time to check into a Hopper upgrade.

Hope it is not a snake:eek:! LOL. I am certain it is not, though. One thing I noted during the reboot process that the sound goes away during power cycle then "reappears" when the unit is fully booted. It might be a noisy fan. Is there an easy way to clean the fan without opening the case?

Don't know if my experience with my 722 would apply, but my fan started making noise, and I think the bearings were binding and the fan running slowly because I kept getting the "overheat" message. I replaced the fan for $10. :D But I had to take off the cover and remove the disk cage to get at the fan. (I own this 722.)

I see. I am leasing this receiver. So taking off the cover voids the warranty. I guess I'll call Dish in the near future. Thanks for your advice.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Taking off the cover does not void the warranty. If the little sticker inside gets broken it voids the warranty. If you are really careful you can replace the fan and even the hard drive without breaking the sticker.

Ok, I removed the cover and discovered that it was the fan making all that racket! There is a tamper seal that voids the warranty if I am not too careful in repairing or replacing the fan. Has anyone had any success removing the fan without breaking the sticker? Looks impossible without breaking those plastic screws. Is there an alternative method to quiet the fan noise (i.e. cleaning, lubricating, etc)? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Ok, I removed the cover and discovered that it was the fan making all that racket! There is a tamper seal that voids the warranty if I am not too careful in repairing or replacing the fan. Has anyone had any success removing the fan without breaking the sticker? Looks impossible without breaking those plastic screws. Is there an alternative method to quiet the fan noise (i.e. cleaning, lubricating, etc)? Thanks in advance!

Why put yourself through all the hassle? Contact Dirt and get a replacement. Transfer if an any recordings to EHD.

The way I have the receiver's cables routed through my wall will make for a huge hassle:D. It's 100x simpler for me to repair it.

Last edited:
Try blowing the fan out with a can of air. If like the DVR 512, the fan is held in place with four rubber (silicone) fan mounts. Fan can be pulled off easily. Not much working room though.

Decided to not remove the fan in fear of breaking the four rubber (silicone) fan mounts. I sprayed compressed air into the fan. Slightly removed the sticker on the other side of the fan to expose the axle. Squirted a couple drops of 3-in-1 oil. Then installed the cover back on the DVR. It is considerably less noisy. The noise that emanates from the fan is tolerable. I'm good now until next time...

Thanks to everyone for their advise!

UPDATE: Fan finally quite working a few days ago. Came home from work one day with the message "your satellite receiver has exceeded the recommended operating temperature" appearing on the screen. I unplugged the receiver for a few hours to let it cool down. Plugged it back in and no activity from the fan. Called Dish and decided to upgrade to the Hopper. Hoping for a smooth install tomorrow:).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts