VIP 622 & VIP 211 Obsolete

fatpug

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Here
I canceled my account with dish and received the following email. In the column labeled Obsolete it says "Yes" for both the VIP 622 & VIP 211. Is this correct that the only thing I send back is the cards?

Your DISH Network account has been disconnected.

Please review the chart to determine what equipment to return:

Equipment Model* Ownership Obsolete Return?
ViP211 Leased Yes
ViP622 Leased Yes

* This information can be found on the label located on the back or bottom of your unit

To help you easily return your equipment, DISH Network is doing the following:

You will receive a return kit including boxes and discounted return labels in the next few days.

A $15 per label equipment return fee will be charged to your account should you choose to use the labels. This fee is significantly less than rates you are likely to find with UPS, FedEx, or the US Postal Service.

A return kit will not be sent for purchased or obsolete equipment; instead, a postage-paid SmartCard return envelope will be sent to return SmartCard(s) for obsolete equipment:

** The following SmartCard removal instructions are for obsolete equipment only. Please do not remove SmartCards from leased equipment:
Open the front left door panel on the obsolete receiver
Remove SmartCard from the receiver
Return SmartCard(s) from obsolete receiver(s) in the envelope being sent to you
To avoid charges, please return your equipment within 10 days. You will receive an e-mail when your equipment has been received.

We recommend that any equipment not returned be disposed of in an environmentally responsible manner. Please visit the EPA website below to locate an electronics recycler near you:
EPA Electronics Recycling Website

Thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer.

Hi fatpug, Iceberg is correct. Both of these receivers are still current models. They will need to be returned to DISH Network. I am trying to find where these emails are coming from. If at all possible, can you forward the original message to me at marycatherine.brady@yahoo.com. I need to get this corrected as it is causing alot of connfusion with customers. I would really appreciate it!! Thanks!!

I think the only equipment they are not asking to be returned would be anything that is QPSK only, such as 2800's and possibly 301's

All MPEG4 equipment, and any MPEG2 equipment with an 8PSK chipset would be considered current models.

When I replaced my 722 last month, the initial email from Dish had yes under obsolete in the discription of the what was being replaced. The same as the OP stated. I've deleted the email so I can't send it.

There must be some confusion going on over at Dish and they need to get it sorted out.If not for the help of Rayc we would likely have been charged for a 622 that was replaced by a 722.The instructions that came with the 722 stated that the 622 was obsolete and did not need to be returned.I thought that didn't sound right and pmed Ray and was told we should return the 622.Whomever is in charge of creating and placing said instructions need to be informed they are incorrect.

Equipment Model* ___Ownership_Obsolete_Return?
ViP211_____________Leased____________Yes
ViP622_____________Leased____________Yes

I looks to me like a text formatting problem. The first line is the column headers. There should be a placeholder under the heading for Obsolete that says 'No'. The word 'Yes' should line up under the heading 'Return?'. The rest of the e-mail looks like boilerplate that is added to every e-mail regardless of whether or not the customer has obsolete receivers. Somebody obviously did not take into account problems with e-mail formatting depending on how the customer reads the messages, on-line or with a mail reader or HTML on or off, etc.

Equipment Model* ___Ownership_Obsolete_Return?
ViP211_____________Leased____________Yes
ViP622_____________Leased____________Yes

I looks to me like a text formatting problem. The first line is the column headers. There should be a placeholder under the heading for Obsolete that says 'No'. The word 'Yes' should line up under the heading 'Return?'. The rest of the e-mail looks like boilerplate that is added to every e-mail regardless of whether or not the customer has obsolete receivers. Somebody obviously did not take into account problems with e-mail formatting depending on how the customer reads the messages, on-line or with a mail reader or HTML on or off, etc.

No there is no text formatting problem. In the original email there are vertical dashes that delineate the columns. When I got the email about replacing my 722 earlier this month, the Yes was in the obsolete column.

No there is no text formatting problem. In the original email there are vertical dashes that delineate the columns. When I got the email about replacing my 722 earlier this month, the Yes was in the obsolete column.

You just proved my point, yes this IS a formatting problem. There were probably not enough of the 'vertical dash's and there are probably two 'tab' characters in between but while the old use of creating columns using 'tab's was fine in the days of fixed size monospace fonts, it causes problems for anything else. In your e-mail, the 'Yes' should have been under the 'Return' column but did not make it all the way over there were it was supposed to be. I actually noted that the message pasted in the original post was a messy mix of tabs and spaces. As someone who has been dealing with writing software for over 30 years, I know that output formatting is sometimes the biggest pain in the arse. It was on the old lineprinter terminal I used on a DEC PDP11/70 in the late 70's, it was when I was using punch cards to program in FORTRAN in the early 80's and it still did not get much better when PCs came out. There are number of ways to solve this problem here but what was done appears to be a major lack of experience.

Maybe the use of the word 'Obsolete' is just a poor choice?? One of the definitions that fits this use regarding a returning receiver is:

not used any more, no longer in use

But, it's probably not the first definition most people think of when they hear the word...

Hi fatpug, Iceberg is correct. Both of these receivers are still current models. They will need to be returned to DISH Network. I am trying to find where these emails are coming from. If at all possible, can you forward the original message to me at marycatherine.brady@yahoo.com. I need to get this corrected as it is causing alot of connfusion with customers. I would really appreciate it!! Thanks!!

Hi Mary,

I have forwarded the email to you.

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts