VIP 722 - 2nd tv (HDTV) question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Muckrak3r

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Texas
Can I have an HDTV for a 2nd tv? I just have a coax connection going from the 722 to the other end of my house.

I dont want to run new cables there, but I dont think hdtv's have coax connections do they?

What are my options with the coax connection there?

The TV2 output of the 722 only supplies standard definition content. You will not get 1080i out of that port. For the secondary location you will need a separate HD receiver.

I do know the output is 480p on the 722, im not expecting HD content. I should have been more clear in my OP. I just want the current feed to be displayed on the new HDTV that I am going to get. If it has coax, then im good.

It'll be 480i (NOT p), standard definition via coax but you'll be able to view all the channels (except any OTA) in dual mode. In single mode you can see any OTA as well but again, in SD. If you could run a HDMI cable to the 2nd HD TV you could view HD on it in single mode and HD on the other via component.

Ed

It would be nice to see devices (such as the 722) with ATSC or QAM modulators someday. Then you COULD supply 1080i/DD5.1 over a single coax run, do it over a home distribution setup, etc etc. Just like the old days. :)

I'm guessing this will never happen though, as content owners are far too anal about the security of their programming. ATSC or clear QAM modulators in HD boxes would make high quality recording of HD far too easy given the availability of PC HDTV capture cards.

It'll be 480i (NOT p), standard definition via coax but you'll be able to view all the channels (except any OTA) in dual mode. In single mode you can see any OTA as well but again, in SD. If you could run a HDMI cable to the 2nd HD TV you could view HD on it in single mode and HD on the other via component.

Ed

Will this work?

You can view OTA on TV 2 if you record it first. It can even be a recording started at 9:00 tha tyou start to watch at 9:01.

Geronimo,

If you were replying to me I was asking about running the hdmi to tv 2 and comp to tv 1 and putting it in single mode and getting HD on both tv's. Thanks for the quick reply though.

JT

I was referring to your post but a different aspect of it---the part about not seeing the OTA channels on TV 2. . Sorry if I was not clear.

do you know if my 2nd question will work about the hdmi and comp?

Sure will! I do it now myself. You can pick up a long HDMI cable at a bargain price from monoprice.com . It'll be at your doorstep in 3 business days or less.

Yer welcome!:up

Ed

Sure will! I do it now myself. You can pick up a long HDMI cable at a bargain price from monoprice.com . It'll be at your doorstep in 3 business days or less.

Yer welcome!:up

Ed

I'm new to the forum, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

I have a question about this set up. I just upgraded to a 722 and have a similar set up. 1st HDTV connected via component and 2nd HDTV connected via HDMI.

My problem is that the component signal flickers unless the TV connected to HDMI is turned on or the HDMI connection is unplugged. (By flickering I mean that it alternates from blue screen no signal to momentary picture with an indication that a signal is being received at 1080I.)

Has anyone else had this problem? I'd prefer not to have to constantly connect and disconnect the HDMI cable given how fragile the port is. I contacted Dish and tech support was less than helpful, saying that the receiver is not designed to do this and that I needed to buy another receiver if I wanted two HDTVs connected.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Just in case this is important the TV experiencing the flickering is a 37" Sceptre Naga.

Thanks,

Dan

For what it's worth, my 622's component output doesn't do anything weird when the TV on the HDMI output is off. When I turn that TV on, or switch to HDMI from one of the other inputs, the picture on the component input drops out momentarily, but comes right back with no further glitches.

with the 722 in single mode and the 2nd TV connected via HDMI and TV1 connected via comp, will the TV2 UHF remote still control the 722?

My problem is that the component signal flickers unless the TV connected to HDMI is turned on or the HDMI connection is unplugged. (By flickering I mean that it alternates from blue screen no signal to momentary picture with an indication that a signal is being received at 1080I.)
Not having a functioning HDCP compliant TV connected to the HDMI port is going to cause problems like this. The receiver needs to see a response to the HDCP queries in order to put out an HD image.

Is it possible that your component connected TV doesn't do 480i via component?

Is this behavior limited to certain channels?

Dan-
Dunno why you're having that "flickering" problem, I've never experienced anything like that.:confused: "The receiver isn't designed to do this".:rolleyes: B.S. Of course they want you to get a 2nd receiver for HD. Lots of folks on this forum are doing this without a problem. Kinda sounds like a connection/cable problem but I'm sure you probably checked that. ???
On another note, I'm no expert but I was under the impression that ALL HDMI was HDCP compliant???:confused: And I'm sure your component outputs DON'T do 480i. They do 480p, 720p or 1080i. Good luck!

Ed