Vip 722 Internal Hard Drive Replacement?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I still can't understand why someone would want to purchase their equipment outright then try to fix it themselves. There's no cost advantage, and it's more hassle, unless you just like tinkering with the equipment.

As noted above, the issue comes in when you reach Dish's max receiver count limits within one account (6) which is what I have. 4 leased units, and the 2 I own outright.

rgds, WT

Did you inquire of DISH Network what they were willing to do?

Yeah, but only once so far (re: the "we can sell you new one at list").

but as is usually the case with Dish, subsequent calls can generate different results (depending on the CSR or how high you escalate it).

I'm holding that option in reserve, but mostly I just need to find some spare time to sit on the phone with them.

I'm sure with some pushing I could make it happen.

My knee-jerk reaction with issues like this is usually "buy the replacement part and drop it in". The only caveat in this case though is the lack of replacement parts ! :)

Thanks!
WT

Same here; I just prefer to do it myself assuming the cost is reasonable.

If you add DHPP, you can get the whole receiver replaced with another OWNED receiver. At least that's what they did with my owned 501 that arrived (brand newly refurbished) with no sound on it's A/V outputs. I subsequently sold the replacement 501 without problem. But there is also a risk that Dish can screw up totally and mysteriously convert owned receivers to leased. For the cost of a drive, I would go with the repair myself, just to avoid the potential hassle.

Last edited:
Even with owned receivers, Dish will replace a faulty one.

The replacement will still be an owned receiver - make sure the CSR, preferably a tech support person gives you that in writing on the papers that come with the replacement.

Even out of warranty, owned equipment is covered by DHPP.

Has this changed?

I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

Success !

SUCCESS !!

Back up again. The Seagate Pipeline HD ST3500312CS 500 GB drive from Buy.com came in today, plugged it in, and right away got the "drive needs to be cleaned" message and it configured the drive. 15 minutes later I was back live and recording and playing back.

Again, thanks to Clinker for the find. Buy.com had it for $49.99 (it's actually on sale right now for $43 !) Ordered on Tuesday and arrived today on Thursday.

Thanks again everyone!

WT

A bit late, but someone here suggested taking digital photos of the timers, and avoiding writer's cramp.

A bit late, but someone here suggested taking digital photos of the timers, and avoiding writer's cramp.

That's a great idea! Also wish there was a way to dump the timer list to the external drive, and then just reload it.

Well... Dish Remote Access has it, so why not store it for a rainy day?

That's pretty nice, I've been a Slingbox user for so long, I never bothered with Dish Remote Access.

So, it looks like you have view all your timers in a menu, but I guess to capture them you'd just have to do a screen shot or something? Don't see a "save" or some method to download them?

That's pretty nice, I've been a Slingbox user for so long, I never bothered with Dish Remote Access.

So, it looks like you have view all your timers in a menu, but I guess to capture them you'd just have to do a screen shot or something? Don't see a "save" or some method to download them?
I beg your pardon. I did not mean that a "save" or "restore" timer feature was already active or available on the website. :( I only meant that this would be a great enhancement for Remote Access. Probably Dish is busily data mining followed by selling the info, rather than adding such a useful enhancement.

I beg your pardon. I did not mean that a "save" or "restore" timer feature was already active or available on the website. :( I only meant that this would be a great enhancement for Remote Access. Probably Dish is busily data mining followed by selling the info, rather than adding such a useful enhancement.

True, but I still like the concept of at least being able to go to the website, and snap a screen shot of the timers, would have made it easier than writing them down..LOL :)

It would be even more convenient if we could simply print out the timer page. :eureka: However, I have been unsuccessful getting firefox to print out more than what's visible at the top of the page. :(

I just had to swap out my 722k.

Before the swap I moved all the DVR content to my external drive. Next, I used the system wizard to backup all my settings to the remote. Finally, I used the dish remote access web site to view each timer and save a screen shot of the settings.

After the swap I used the system wizard to restore the settings from the remote and reconnected the external drive. When done I went to reload all my timers, and found they were already there.

I'm not sure which part of the process stored and restored the timers, but they were there, although most of the timers did not show up in the schedule until I went to the individual timer and edited it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)

Latest posts