Vip 722 Internal Hard Drive Replacement?

Based on my sorry experience with the WD10EAVS without the -57 on the end, this will not work. :(

Thakks for the update guys. I did not get the Walmart drive.

I tried the Menu-6-3-Info-Right-Left-TV/Video to clear the NVRAM and the the Menu-6-3-Info-Right-Left-Play-Play-Recall to clear the HDD. The unit reset and everything works correctly again; we'll see for how long!

If one were to install a 1tb drive in a 722/722k would the entire drive be formatted for use or just 500gb? I recognize that adding EHD is painless but I'd like to have more space for recording without having to keep moving stuff to archival (EHD)

If one were to install a 1tb drive in a 722/722k would the entire drive be formatted for use or just 500gb? I recognize that adding EHD is painless but I'd like to have more space for recording without having to keep moving stuff to archival (EHD)

The 1TB drive won't work at all.

If one were to install a 1tb drive in a 722/722k would the entire drive be formatted for use or just 500gb?
Probably the partitioning will be like a 922, which only gives you 500GB of usable space. But I haven't tried this so YMMV. It won't work at all unless you use one of the drives in my post #5 in this thread.

Probably the partitioning will be like a 922, which only gives you 500GB of usable space. But I haven't tried this so YMMV. It won't work at all unless you use one of the drives in my post #5 in this thread.

by this do you mean it would be the same as installing a 500gb drive or would the usable (recordable) space be greater with a 1Tb drive? I haven't been able to find anyone thats successfully (or unsuccessfully) installed a 1tb drive in a 722/722k, probably because everyone is using EHD.

Whatever the size is, Dish firmware is going to partition it according to Dish's wishes. Since I haven't heard of anybody successfully doing this either, your guess is as good as mine as to what the partitioning will turn out to be. I was taking my usual wag, which is that a 1TB disk partitioned by a 722 would look the same as the 1TB disk inside the 922, where Dish takes over half (500GB) for it's nefarious VOD purposes. Presumably if you put a 500GB disk back in the 722, it will look like the 500GB disk that came with it. You don't get to use 500GB on the stock drive; that's for sure!

so theoretically, if one were to install a 1tb drive in a 722 and it were to be recognized, there would be more recordable space than the original 500gb drive?

That's my theory, anyway. ;) Although bad stuff can happen. On the 50x series of DVRs, newer disks were introduced into the firmware, not to give users any more space, but to make it easier to find replacement disks. The extra space was just wasted. Or so I have heard.

Only certain specific drives can be used in the 622/722 receivers. Please see this thread. I believe the max is 500gb.
The most widely available drive is this one: ST3500830SCE

Welcome back Smith, P! I was wondering what happened to you; glad you're still kicking. So, are you secretly VIP622 on that Yahoo group? Can you use parted or some other utility to resize the partions ex post facto?

I installed a ST3500312CS and it didn't work! I just get hard drive failure still.

I've installed 2, and they both worked for me. Did you hook up both the Dish Sata drive cable, AND the power cable? There's 2 cable's in the receiver. Make sure they didn't unplug from the receivers board at the other end. Are you even sure the drive is good? Try it in a pc, and make sure it works there. If you can't format it on a pc, it's bad. Of course, look at the label on the drive, and make sure it's a "CS", and not just a "C".

I installed a ST3500312CS in a 612, I was just trying to boost the hours but it only showed 30hrs HD! I then installed the same drive in my 722 and the full 55hrs showed as availible.
That surprised me as I thought that it would work the same for both receivers. Now I have a spare harddrive for either one! JW

I got it to work.

I tried the Menu-6-3-Info-Right-Left-TV/Video to clear the NVRAM and the the Menu-6-3-Info-Right-Left-Play-Play-Recall to clear the HDD. I then unplugged and replugged the 722 and it took a while but it said hard drive failure. I messed around doing that with the old drive which is so dead my pc won't even recognize it and another 500 gig drive that it is good. None of them worked. The last thing I did (i think) was just just clear the nvram, unplug power, unplug the other good drive, install this new drive and power up. I then left the house without hope. (That was the most important step in this process I think) When I got back it was working!