ViP 722 reboots when receiving calls

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TK-229

Original poster
Mar 29, 2010
Laughlin, NV
Hello folks
Long time lurker here.

Did a search but wasn't able to find a prob like this and was curious.

My 722 is phone line connected.
it's not a dsl line.
caller id does work.

But every few incoming calls recently, just as it should display the caller id it locks the box up and puts it into a full reboot.

Anyone heard of this happening? Or have any idea how i can prevent it lol

Thanks

I wouldn't lol. I'd call Dish Tech support ASAP. Don't want to live with that.

I wouldn't be too quick to blame this on Dish or the receiver... could be in the phone connection as in wired up wrong or something else. I'd rule that out before you go to argue on Dish Tech support and waste a tech's time (whom isn't a phone tech) to come out and not fix a issue that may be another issue.

Dial tone is just that "dial tone". Check that line with a test phone, if the phone works you probably have a bad phone modem in receiver.

I wouldn't be too quick to blame this on Dish or the receiver... could be in the phone connection as in wired up wrong or something else. I'd rule that out before you go to argue on Dish Tech support and waste a tech's time (whom isn't a phone tech) to come out and not fix a issue that may be another issue.

OK. Reasonable. But if he disconnects the phone line, he's "solved" the problem. And lost a feature. If his phones are working, how much can he as an end user do to test his own phone lines/equipment? Try disconnecting every phone and device except the receiver, and make multiple calls to his land line- that's about it.

I guess the one other thing he could do is turn off the caller ID feature on the ViP722, and see if the rebooting happens anyway. But what would he do with such knowledge, other than share it with tech support?

I don't think they'll roll a truck for this. They may have it as a known issue, and it may be swap out time.

If this just started call into Dish and get it replaced. You do not have to argue with the tech....

Some phones (and possibly receivers) are sensitive to the polarity of the line but shouldn't be. You can reverse it by using a 2-to-1 jack adapter with 2 cables ignoring the single side instead of a single cord. Most additional flat cables reverse the connection--trace them to understand. (Be sure it is not a 2-line to 2-singles adapter, outputs labeled 1 and 2.) Only a slight chance but easy to test.
-Ken

Another thought is that the ring voltage is like 115VDC at a very low current. If the receiver's phone port is designed wrong and the voltage offset of the line and the AC line were too much there might be havoc.
-Ken

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)