VIP 722 with Seagate FreeAgent Desk 1.5 TB EHD

dangue

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 29, 2007
SF Bay Area
Guys,

I need a little help here. Not sure if this is coincidence or not, but more information is better right? I had a 222K installed last week. A few days ago I went to transfer recordings from my 722 to the external DVR and got message 788. That the receiver thinks that the EHD has been set up to work with a different receiver than itself. The EHD has worked fine the past six or so months and has never been connected to another receiver.

I tried the usual disconnect the EHD, restart it, front panel reset on the 722 and a full disconnect the power from the 722. No dice. I called Dish, and the tech rep sent an electronic signal to the receiver. No dice. Dish's solution is to replace the receiver as this is a known issue. I'd like to avoid this as I have a bunch of stuff currently on the receiver that still needs to be watched/archived. Also, the Dish rep couldn't guarantee that a new receiver would resolve the problem.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

722 and 722k=LOTS OF HEADACHES!!! Yes they're amazing pieces of equipment but you wouldn't believe how many replacement receivers we have to send out. Many customers call in saying that they've replaced them 2 or three times already. There are ALOT of known product issues with the 722k especially. Mostly regarding the audio sync, audio going completely out, freezing picture, and distorted picture. There is a big bad batch of 722k receivers out there so lately new customers who have been connected for barely under 3 months are already on their 2nd or 3rd replacement. **just a side note, when we send you a recvr most likely it is brand new but refurbished ones are well within the mix out there, one time I activated a customers receiver and the previous owner's dvr timers were still set!! LOL**

Funny, I've had minor software flubs with the 722k but no major problems. I installed the ota module before the initial software that caused me problems on the ota channels , but I removed the module and reinstalled it and it worked fine now. I have had the 622, 722 and 722k and no real problems. Nothing that a reboot didn't take care of. I bought all of my receivers from an online retailer. I did have to replace my 622s eventually because of the hdmi ports not working properly. But over all this line of receivers has been great and the best ever designed by Echostar. I think a lot of times the csrs replace the receivers when they can't get the customer to be able to fix minor problems at home with the receivers. So RMA and get a new one. I have had DISH for 13 years come January of 2010, and I have had some problem receivers like the 7100/7200 web tv dishplayers, the 811, the 921 . I think the longer you are with DISH ,the more you learn about the receivers and you don't have to RMA at first sight of problems. But I have had to replace some receivers over the years and I am glad that DISH allows you to add and remove the home protection insurance as needed or I would be out some money for shipping and handling fees.

Only thing I have to avoid with my 722k is deleting from the EHD while the internal is recording. Other than that, my 722k and WD MyDVR Expander work well.

Get Linux, backup DishArc from EHD, remove partitions from EHD, connect it back - give time for 722 do own format, restore the folder DishArc back.

Interesting possibility. I've never mucked around with Linux, but I guess I could try and set up a dual boot on my primary system. Any particular version of Linux you'd recommend to use (considering I am wholly unfamiliar with it)?

Only thing I have to avoid with my 722k is deleting from the EHD while the internal is recording. Other than that, my 722k and WD MyDVR Expander work well.

Yes I have had to learn that the hard way. It is quirky and needs to be fixed. I lost a couple of recordings in progress this way. Another way to screwup recordings in progress with the 722k is to change from single mode to dual mode.

So I went ahead and got a replacement receiver (linux transfer wasnt an option because I didn't want to spen money on another 1.5 TB EHD) and I'm getting the same message. I have to head into work, so I can't call Dish until later. This has been very aggravating.

My 722 has worked great since I have had it. I have had it for 9 months now. I had issues with the 522 though and I believe that was the case due to refurbs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts