VIP 722K Question...Anyone else experienced this?

kg2280

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Dallas, TX
Good Morning all,
I have been having an issue with my receiver. I have called Dish several times to no avail, so I'm turning to you guys for help/advice.
I have the VIP 722K HD receiver with a Western Digital 500GB EHD for additional DVR storage. Equipment works fine, absolutely no issues whatsoever.
What I have noticed is, in recent months, when the receiver shuts down at 3am for the routine updates, my system seems to take an extremely long time before I'm able to resume watching TV. Usually the updates would take 2-3 mins tops, but lately it can take up to 45 mins-1 hour before I'm able to hit "select" and resume watching TV.
Does anyone know what could be causing this and if there is anything I can do to fix it? I'm thinking it has something to do with the EHD, which is a compatible brand and works perfectly since day one. The activity light on the EHD is blinking during the extremely long update so something is going on with the EHD. I would say it's 75-80% full of all HD programming.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kevin (Dallas, TX)

I am usually not up at 3am so I can not say whether this is a normal situation or not. However, you could unplug the usb cable and see what happens then during the update.

Also, in my case, I kill the power to the EHD when I am not using it. I figure that there is no sense allowing the EHD to spin-up continuously, thus allowing lots of extra wear on the bearings. That is the quickest way to kill a hard drive in a couple of years, which kind of defeats the purpose of having the EHD to begin with. YMMV!

Ed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)