VIP 922 Hardware Setup

jdolotina

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
Shreveport, LA
I am interested in wondering what everybody's equipment setup is for their VIP 922. Examples, are what type of router, and speed of the router you are using, are you using a Powerline adapter for ethernet, and if you were to run a speed test at speedtest.net what is your average download Mbps and upload Mbps. Are you using cable or DSL?

Then state whether you are currently having problems with accesing your box on the internet when trying to view TV.

The reason I ask all of this is because, I am thinking of upgrading to a gigabit router to run my future VIP 922. Then run my internet through a powerline adapter, because my TV is no where near my modem. The current router I have only does 100 Mbps. Should I upgrade the router or am ok with the 100 Mbps?

Thanks for all the help.
Josh D.

I doubt a gigabyte router is going to make much of a difference as your limited by the speed of your internet connection which is usually anywhere from 3-16 megs.

If your really concerned about the connection, get rid of the powerline adaptor and run a staright eithernet cable from your router to the 922.

Claude is right. I would do Gigabit though... No powerline. At some point, you may want to stream DLNA content in HD to the 922 and that will put a beating on something connected via powerline stuff.

I see you are new here and your right up the way in Shreveport... Welcome to Sat Guys.

Funny, I have the netgear power line adapter and I can connect pretty easily to the internet using it. When I try to use a direct ethernet line from the router to my 922, it fails just about every time.

I'm using a Netgear WNR3400 Gigabit with Netgear powerline/ethernet adapters at various locations in my house. No matter which outlet I check with my netbook or laptop using the ethernet connection I get 4.9 - 5.1 down and .75 up. That's on a 5 meg DSL. The tech who installed my 922 had to replace the Netgear adapter my router is plugged into for the network with a Slinglink Turbo.

I just took a look using Slingplayer and I was getting 4.5 - 4.9 on my powerline network. Dish Direct Access is a hit or miss for me, regardless of which computer and how it's connected to the router.

I had a major difference in speed on my 622 between Homeplug and my powerline network. Homeplug always maxed out at 1.2 or so while the powerline connection gave me 4 +. Haven't compared the 922 but since I see 4+ on Slingplayer and have seen that on the Dish Remote Access (when I can connect) I'm happy.

Netgear WNDR3700 router running seperate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks.

922 is connected to a D-Link DAP1555 Wireless Bridge Adapter which is going back to the router using the 5Ghz network. (The bridge also has a PS3, Roku XR, and HD-DVD player plugged into it.)

I have no problem streaming HD inside my home. My network icon in the 922 banner will change to red from time to time so I have to go into the Broadband menu and reset the connection. Other then that, totally happy with my setup.

I have my faithful WRT54G that is about 6 years old and use the powerline adapter for my 922. I can stream HD inside my house with no issues whatsoever. This includes hardwired and wireless devices.

I have a fiber connection to the Internet at 8/2 and can stream SD outside my home. The minimum for streaming HD is 3MB upstream and I haven't done that yet.

I have an Xbox360 and a BR player on the wifi as well and everything plays nicely together. I stream HD via Netflix to the Xbox360 all the time with no issues.

I have my faithful WRT54G that is about 6 years old and use the powerline adapter for my 922. I can stream HD inside my house with no issues whatsoever. This includes hardwired and wireless devices.

I have a fiber connection to the Internet at 8/2 and can stream SD outside my home. The minimum for streaming HD is 3MB upstream and I haven't done that yet.

I have an Xbox360 and a BR player on the wifi as well and everything plays nicely together. I stream HD via Netflix to the Xbox360 all the time with no issues.

You do realize that your Xbox is streaming over wifi, not a powerline, right?

You do realize that your Xbox is streaming over wifi, not a powerline, right?

Absolutely. I was just stating that whether using powerline, which my 922 uses, or Wifi, which the Xbox 360 uses, I am able to stream HD. My main point being that the router isn't that important. My router is 10/100, only G, and is many years old and it works well. Even at very high Internet bandwidth the ISP will be the choke point, not the router.

The ethernet on the 922 is 100 Mbit, so Gigbit is not going to make a difference.

Although the fastest speed possible is noce for streaming media on your own internal network. :D

Absolutely. I was just stating that whether using powerline, which my 922 uses, or Wifi, which the Xbox 360 uses, I am able to stream HD. My main point being that the router isn't that important. My router is 10/100, only G, and is many years old and it works well. Even at very high Internet bandwidth the ISP will be the choke point, not the router.

So you are streaming HD Content via DLNA to your 922 and it is working without dropping frames or pixelating. I find that hard to believe. Unless you are using a super low bitrate.

With the 922 I was referring to Sling inside my home network. I can usually get 8Mb/s according to the dish website and/or Sling app. Outside my home network I cap out at the max upstream of service.

I have been testing streaming content to my 922 and did so earlier this week. I installed a trial of PlayOn on my laptop connected via wifi and watched a program off of Hulu. I don't recall it being in HD and did look a bit soft on the screen, but was ultimately very watchable. I have also tested DNLA with the Xbox360 and found the picture acceptable. Again, it was an old episode from Hulu in SD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts