VIP Receiver Retirement

Oh dear. I haven't noticed my 612's being crash-happy all of a sudden. Do you know of anything that might have caused this?

No idea and it's the first time it has happened in years. There was no weather in the area, and I was just watching on delay - hadn't touched the remote in 20 minutes or so since I started playback.

Reactions: EchostarFan
612's seem to be having a few issues. These are recent posts form the tech portal:

Currently installing a 612 reciever. On step 2 of 5, it is stauck on geting software from Satellite and status says : Acquiring...
Is anyone else experiencing this with the 612 or any other VIP system? I replaced the cable from the ground block to the receiver. Running a limit scan shows good signal levels across the board.

Not sure if it's related but I am on my 2nd and 3rd 612 receiver install today, the are not taking the program guide properly, the get about half way through and freeze, the 1st 2 required multiple check switch and reboots, after loading new software.
The 3rd is about 75% on the progress guide as I am typing

I just had the same problem and did the *#* to check switch and would go right back to acquiring screen in the wizard and tried everything else in here and nothing would work until I bypassed the wizard by pressing the start button 4 times and then went into menu to changed the HDMI settings and it went into 4 of 5 on wizard and went right through. Then after it went through I turned the receiver of with remote and it came back on and went through acquiring signal and then downloaded my program guide hope this helps.

I have been to 2 of these. It shudders on network channels. In our market if I put it on cbs or pbs than go to a network channel like FoxNews or Hallmark it will shudder and freeze. If i put it on CBS or ABC and than go to one of the previously mentioned channels it will not. One of them, we upgraded them to a 722 and that fixed the problem after 3 612's were replaced. The other customer cancelled account because she had had 5 service calls in 1 month. - This one I have experienced and the only fix was to upgrade to a 722

Could someone please explain the user-side ramifications of "retirement"? I have a Hopper 3 at home, and a ViP211z in my RV. Will I need to upgrade the 211z or just have to replace with something else it if it fails?

If your 211z should fail in the future it would be replaced with a like, refurbished, receiver. If there are no 211zs available you would be upgraded to to a Wally which for all purposes is a similar receiver justvwithba different user interface. What the retirement means, literally, is that VIP receivers would not be added to new accounts.

Reactions: pattykay and HipKat
Okay, thanks for the clarification. So if I purchased an extra 211k and my current 211k died, I then could activate my new 211k. I do like the 211k as the OTA module is built in besides having the outboard HDD.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. So if I purchased an extra 211k and my current 211k died, I then could activate my new 211k. I do like the 211k as the OTA module is built in besides having the outboard HDD.
I’m not so sure that the scenario is the same with a second owned receiver. What I presented was calling in and saying that a 211 died and they would replace it. I suppose it would depend on the CSR. Of course you are allowed two 211s on a Hopper account. You could activate both owned 211s and then on day 2 deactivate your spare. Then when you might need it deactivate 1 and activate 2.

Step 1: Stop issuing ViPs to new accounts.

Step 2: Stop reactivating ViPs.

Step 3: Recall and replace all ViPs in the field.

Step 4: PULL!
I see what you did there Navychop. We saw what happened with the Legacy receivers like the 2800/3800, and DishPro receivers 301, 721 and 942 in the past. First they (E*) purged them, and now they are threatening to purge the ViPs..... What next? 625, 311, 322, any more left, Dish [E*]?

I did expect all the pre-ViP receivers to go first. But I guess there's no money being poured into them for s/w or even refurbishment. Or very little. They can wait as the ones in the field "naturally" dwindle. Then one day, a guy in a kangaroo suit appears at your door....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)