VIP Receiver Retirement

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Oh dear. I haven't noticed my 612's being crash-happy all of a sudden. Do you know of anything that might have caused this?

No idea and it's the first time it has happened in years. There was no weather in the area, and I was just watching on delay - hadn't touched the remote in 20 minutes or so since I started playback.

Reactions: EchostarFan
612's seem to be having a few issues. These are recent posts form the tech portal:

Currently installing a 612 reciever. On step 2 of 5, it is stauck on geting software from Satellite and status says : Acquiring...
Is anyone else experiencing this with the 612 or any other VIP system? I replaced the cable from the ground block to the receiver. Running a limit scan shows good signal levels across the board.

Not sure if it's related but I am on my 2nd and 3rd 612 receiver install today, the are not taking the program guide properly, the get about half way through and freeze, the 1st 2 required multiple check switch and reboots, after loading new software.
The 3rd is about 75% on the progress guide as I am typing

I just had the same problem and did the *#* to check switch and would go right back to acquiring screen in the wizard and tried everything else in here and nothing would work until I bypassed the wizard by pressing the start button 4 times and then went into menu to changed the HDMI settings and it went into 4 of 5 on wizard and went right through. Then after it went through I turned the receiver of with remote and it came back on and went through acquiring signal and then downloaded my program guide hope this helps.

I have been to 2 of these. It shudders on network channels. In our market if I put it on cbs or pbs than go to a network channel like FoxNews or Hallmark it will shudder and freeze. If i put it on CBS or ABC and than go to one of the previously mentioned channels it will not. One of them, we upgraded them to a 722 and that fixed the problem after 3 612's were replaced. The other customer cancelled account because she had had 5 service calls in 1 month. - This one I have experienced and the only fix was to upgrade to a 722

Could someone please explain the user-side ramifications of "retirement"? I have a Hopper 3 at home, and a ViP211z in my RV. Will I need to upgrade the 211z or just have to replace with something else it if it fails?

If your 211z should fail in the future it would be replaced with a like, refurbished, receiver. If there are no 211zs available you would be upgraded to to a Wally which for all purposes is a similar receiver justvwithba different user interface. What the retirement means, literally, is that VIP receivers would not be added to new accounts.

Reactions: pattykay and HipKat
Okay, thanks for the clarification. So if I purchased an extra 211k and my current 211k died, I then could activate my new 211k. I do like the 211k as the OTA module is built in besides having the outboard HDD.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. So if I purchased an extra 211k and my current 211k died, I then could activate my new 211k. I do like the 211k as the OTA module is built in besides having the outboard HDD.
I’m not so sure that the scenario is the same with a second owned receiver. What I presented was calling in and saying that a 211 died and they would replace it. I suppose it would depend on the CSR. Of course you are allowed two 211s on a Hopper account. You could activate both owned 211s and then on day 2 deactivate your spare. Then when you might need it deactivate 1 and activate 2.

Step 1: Stop issuing ViPs to new accounts.

Step 2: Stop reactivating ViPs.

Step 3: Recall and replace all ViPs in the field.

Step 4: PULL!
I see what you did there Navychop. We saw what happened with the Legacy receivers like the 2800/3800, and DishPro receivers 301, 721 and 942 in the past. First they (E*) purged them, and now they are threatening to purge the ViPs..... What next? 625, 311, 322, any more left, Dish [E*]?

I did expect all the pre-ViP receivers to go first. But I guess there's no money being poured into them for s/w or even refurbishment. Or very little. They can wait as the ones in the field "naturally" dwindle. Then one day, a guy in a kangaroo suit appears at your door....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts