ViP211k External HD - DVR Conversion - ViP722k Compatibility

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Vanberge

Original poster
Aug 16, 2010
Michigan
Ok, so I have a very (apparently) complicated set of questions. I've tried a few different dish reps via phone and via chat, and none seem to be able to quite grasp what I'm asking in full.

Equipment:

- ViP722k DuoDVR, ethernet connected
- ViP211k Solo HD Receiver

My question/situation:

I'd like to purchase an external hard disk and convert my 211k solo to a DVR. From my understanding and conversations thus far; it appears that this is a one time fee of 40 dollars.

Secondly, I'd love to be able to take that EHD and move it back and forth between the 211k and 722k. And this is where nobody at dish can tell me the same info. Some people tell me I can't do this. Some people tell me I can. And then some tell me that I can do it, but that I have to transfer recordings from the EHD to the 722k's internal HD before watching them there.

Can anyone here shed some light on this for me? What is the REAL answer. :)

Ideally for me, I can pay a one time fee to activate this EHD on my account ($40) and then record to this EHD from either of my DVRs and watch content on either of my DVRs from this EHD. But, something tells me that is just too good to be true.

Thanks in advance to the SG dot US gurus.

Ok, so I have a very (apparently) complicated set of questions. I've tried a few different dish reps via phone and via chat, and none seem to be able to quite grasp what I'm asking in full.

Equipment:

- ViP722k DuoDVR, ethernet connected
- ViP211k Solo HD Receiver

My question/situation:

I'd like to purchase an external hard disk and convert my 211k solo to a DVR. From my understanding and conversations thus far; it appears that this is a one time fee of 40 dollars.

Secondly, I'd love to be able to take that EHD and move it back and forth between the 211k and 722k. And this is where nobody at dish can tell me the same info. Some people tell me I can't do this. Some people tell me I can. And then some tell me that I can do it, but that I have to transfer recordings from the EHD to the 722k's internal HD before watching them there.

Can anyone here shed some light on this for me? What is the REAL answer. :)

Ideally for me, I can pay a one time fee to activate this EHD on my account ($40) and then record to this EHD from either of my DVRs and watch content on either of my DVRs from this EHD. But, something tells me that is just too good to be true.

Thanks in advance to the SG dot US gurus.

$40 for Vip211/211k DVR conversion. Yes, however this is a DVR conversion which also includes a nine day guide. Good for all Vip 211's on your account and can be moved from one to another.

The EHD for the Vip DVR receivers, 722/722k etc. is simply an archive HD and another $40. Good for all / interchangable with all Vip DVD receivers.

So, move between 211k and 722k... sorry, no.

$40 for Vip211/211k DVR conversion. Yes, however this is a DVR conversion which also includes a nine day guide. Good for all Vip 211's on your account and can be moved from one to another.

The EHD for the Vip DVR receivers, 722/722k etc. is simply an archive HD and another $40. Good for all / interchangable with all Vip DVD receivers.

So, move between 211k and 722k... sorry, no.

i did this sunday ,except i used 1ehd for 211's and 1ehd for my 622. i called and they said it was a one time fee for the account. both ehd's are working. one as a dvr on the 211 and one as an archive (programs have to be transfered back and forth) on the 622.

Ok, thanks for the info guys...

As a follow up; just to make sure (dish rep told me wrong, i'm hoping).... If I hook up an EHD to my 722k. I record shows on my 722k. Then I archive them off to the EHD. Can I watch those recorded programs right from the EHD on my 722k? or, do they have to be moved back to the internal HD ?

Thanks again guys...

You can watch it directly from the EHD or you can restore it to the internal HDD.

You absolutely cannot watch anything recorded to an EHD from a ViP211 on a Vip722 or vice versa.

The $40 fee is one time charge and once you pay it, you can hookup a EHD to any of of the receivers that support EHD's.

I know that I couldn't move the EHD between my 211's and 722k and view and video I save to it. I also know that when I moved it between my 211's I had to go through the setup process each time I moved it. I can't remember if any recordings I saved to the EHD were still there and accessible once I hooked it up to the other 211. I want to say no because that was one of the reasons I bought another EHD so I had one for each 211.

I record shows in the MBR that the wife and I want to watch when we go to bed. The 211 in the spare bed room is used to record anything I want to keep for awhile.

You should be able to view a recording made on one ViP211 on another ViP211 in the same account. If not, something is wrong and you should call Dish.

i did this sunday ,except i used 1ehd for 211's and 1ehd for my 622. i called and they said it was a one time fee for the account. both ehd's are working. one as a dvr on the 211 and one as an archive (programs have to be transfered back and forth) on the 622.

Then anticipate a total of $80 in charges on your next bill because from your statement, it sounds like the CSR didn't make clear to you that the there is a ONE TIME charge for EACH TYPE of EXTERNAL HDD SERVICE.: One charge for DVR Archiving for boxes with internal HDD's and a separate charge for External HDD DVR capability for boxes like the 211K.

Sorry, but I don't think the software would even allow a CSR to charge you only one charge for both services. It would take a higher up and even then it would be a charge and then a credit and extended only to fat cats and perhaps those threatening to leave. But it wouldn't the first time a CSR didn't explain something clearly.

I wish Dish would enable this for the 222, and give customers an option to rent an external hard drive.

It would make it so much easier for customers wishing to upgrade to a DVR.

As an owner of a 222 and 222K, I am right with you, and the promised DVR capability is the reason I bought them. I believe we haven't seen DVR come to the 222 family because of Dish's decision to use USB (2.0) instead of the higher bandwidth eSATA; that's the wall they keep hitting, me thinks. What is really sad is that EVERY other DVR maker back when the 222 was being designed went with an eSATA port for external HDD support YEARS ago (at least as far back as 2005/2006). But this is Charlieville and USB was cheaper and ubiquitous compared to eSATA. Now, of course, eSATA is not uncommon and is the port of choice for every other stand-alone DVR (cable, FiOS DirecTV, TiVo, Moxi) available today. I don't think there is a way for Dish to implement the even higher than SATA bandwidth USB 3.0 as I think that is hardware and chip and motherboard dependent. We may never see the 222 family ever become a DVR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts