ViP222 vs. ViP222k

Flicks

Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Houston, TX
I am considering replacing my 625 SD DVR with either 222 or 222k. What are the differences between 222 and 222k besides color? I would prefer black (222k) but could take the silver one (222) if it has better PQ or more features (like adding an external HD in future). Thanks in advance for your help.

Another question: Is it possible to use the OTA tuner on 222 or 222k (through the module) to connect the TV2 output from ViP722 DVR in another room? I intend to use the 222 or 222k in a room with a plasma monitor (no tuner). Thus, would like to use the OTA tuner in 222 or 222k to "tune" in the TV2 so can watch previously recorded stuff on the DVR in another room.

Thanks.
Flicks

Couple of differences: 1) new 21.0 remotes 2) can have tuner 1 set to an over the air channel (just like tv2) to watch tv on that tuner Ex: tuner 1 would be channel 60 and tuner 2 would be channel 61. 3) The optional add on over the air dual tuner module for two over the air inputs. 4) you can watch the over the air inpus on tv2, the old 222 you could only watch them on tuner 1. Normally you can have tuner 2 from you dvr comming into the box and set it up as a cable input to watch the content from the dvr, but I don't know if you can do that if you are using the daul over the air modules.

Thanks. Does the optional OTA module come with the receiver if I get the new receiver as an upgrade from Dish.

Also, it appears from your comment that I can connect the TV2 from a DVR in other room to one of the OTA tuners on the module provided I don't use the other tuner. Correct?

Thanks.
Flicks

Thanks. Does the optional OTA module come with the receiver if I get the new receiver as an upgrade from Dish.

Also, it appears from your comment that I can connect the TV2 from a DVR in other room to one of the OTA tuners on the module provided I don't use the other tuner. Correct?

Thanks.
Flicks

You will need to specify that you want the OTA tuner for the 222k and it does cost extra. I think it's around $30.

As for your second question. I'm not sure but I don't see why not. ;)

Does anyone know if you can hook up an external drive to the vip222k? Chatted with dish today and the tech told me NO because of the way the hardware is.

As I have just recently found out, the 222s do not allow EHD just yet....Dish hasnt activated that feature.

You could always get OTA signal on TV2 by putting a splitter in reverse on the TV2 line between the reciever and TV2. It would then combine the OTA channels with the TV2 signal. That was if you want to watch your OTA channels you would just change the TV itself to whatever channel you were wanting and then if you want to watch any of the satellite channels you would put the TV on 60 (or whatever the signal is modulated to) and change channels with the Sat. remote. This technique works on ANY reciever

feeding TV2 from one dish receiver into the 8VSB OTA input of another would accomplish nothing. It's an ATSC (digital) tuner, TV2 is an NTSC (analog) signal. Just run TV2 direct to the TV (or combined with other things that go direct to the TV).

feeding TV2 from one dish receiver into the 8VSB OTA input of another would accomplish nothing. It's an ATSC (digital) tuner, TV2 is an NTSC (analog) signal.
I have used this technique with my legacy 6000 receiver where I connected the TV2 output from the 625 DVR to the 8VSB module on the 6000 receiver. I was able to "tune in" the DVR output to the 6000. I don't know ViP222k thus my question. Also, the 6000 would need to be activated for this simple task. :(

Just run TV2 direct to the TV (or combined with other things that go direct to the TV).
Cannot do this as the TV2 is a plasma monitor without any tuner. I can use a VCR to tune in the channels but that would be one more component plus I want to use the component input on the monitor! Would like to accomplish this with just one piece of equipment....the new ViP222k. Possible?

Cheers,
Flicks

No. The 6000's OTA module does analog and digital. Current receivers with OTA are ATSC only.

Can you run composite+R/L from the 722 to the TV?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts