VIP612 Features Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bigpotatopat

Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Minneapolis
Hello

I currently have a Dish500 receiving from 119 and 110 connected to an old Echostar 4700. I receive my local channels over the air.

I'm thinking about swapping out the 4700 for a VIP612 but I just had a couple questions about doing that:

1.) I noticed VIP612 has two Satellite Inputs on the back. I only have one coax cable coming in from the Dish500. Can I just terminate the second Satellite input or do I need to install a switch?

2.) I was planning on receiving my local HD Channels OTA, I assume that the VIP612 will pass the HD signal through to the coax output to the TV.

3.) I was reading the owners manual, and it looks like you can setup timers to record Dish programs and OTA programs. I just wanted to confirm it has the functionality to do basic over the air recording.

4.) I read another post that mentioned was a pain to setup the timers to record OTA channels and suggested just paying the $6.00 per month for the local channels so that you can pause the channel etc. So the unit is not able to pause the OTA channels? (I’m thinking I might try getting my local channels OTA first and then if it’s a pain, order the local channels from Dish)

5.) The Remote that ships with the VIP612 is UHF, correct?

6.) I've seen a couple posts that mention problems with the VIP612 freezing etc. How do they compare to other dish network receivers for troubles reported?

TIA... There is so much information in these forums, I think I could spend months reading all the posts referencing "VIP612"! ;)

Pat Kelly

1) Dual tuner receivers are unhappy with only one satellite tuner hooked up. Plus most HD is on a 3rd sat your Dish 500 cannot "see". You will almost certainly get upgraded to a 1000.2 or 1000.4 dish with integrated DPP switch.

2) Not sure about passthrough, but the 612 has an ATSC tuner so why bother?

3) It does, depending upon what you mean by "basic". It's ATSC tuner is an HD tuner. No analog capability whatsoever.

4) Timer setup would probably be a PITA if you don't subscribe to locals and (thereby) get your fully-populated 9-day guide. I'm pretty sure you can pause them whether or not you have guide info. But I've always subscribed to locals so I can't test that.

5) Yes. It does have an IR-only mode if you prefer that.

6) I have had no worse troubles with my 612 than I have with my 722. YMMV!

Since you only have one box I will go with 722k instead, had a lot of problems with 612s, they finally swapped it out for a 722k about 3 weeks ago and it has been working great, plus it has more features and space. And since you don't get your locals from dish it would be great to be able to record two ota channels at one time with the ota module on the 722k (2sat, 2ota recordings at once). The 612 can do 2sat, 1ota at a time. I don't think either is pass through, the receiver outputs it through the connection to your tv like hdmi or component. With the dish locals i think that is only with the guide data, if you don't have locals from dish you don't get the info so you need to set up manual recordings for your local programs.

Since you only have one box I will go with 722k instead, had a lot of problems with 612s, they finally swapped it out for a 722k about 3 weeks ago and it has been working great, plus it has more features and space. And since you don't get your locals from dish it would be great to be able to record two ota channels at one time with the ota module on the 722k (2sat, 2ota recordings at once). The 612 can do 2sat, 1ota at a time. I don't think either is pass through, the receiver outputs it through the connection to your tv like hdmi or component. With the dish locals i think that is only with the guide data, if you don't have locals from dish you don't get the info so you need to set up manual recordings for your local programs.

You forgot to mention that the 722k requires the OTA Module from dish that is an additional 30 bucks. To me its worth it for the extra ota tuner capability, and having the ota's show up on tv2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts