VIP612 question..

WALLYWOMBAT

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
I am sure this question has been answered already, but after trying to find it for a while now I figured I would ask...

Years ago I had Directv and a tivo based receiver. With that receiver I could switch between the two tuners and leave one paused while I switched over to the other to check out the news or something. I am wondering is this possible with the VIP612? I would like to have one tuner set to something such as the news and let it fill the buffer for a while and keep watching the other program of my choice, then when say 20 minutes has passed by I would like switch back to the news and watch it without any commercials. I know I could simply set it to record but being able to switch between programs would be so much easier.

Is this possible with the 612 and if so how do I do it? :confused:

I am sure this question has been answered already, but after trying to find it for a while now I figured I would ask...

Years ago I had Directv and a tivo based receiver. With that receiver I could switch between the two tuners and leave one paused while I switched over to the other to check out the news or something. I am wondering is this possible with the VIP612? I would like to have one tuner set to something such as the news and let it fill the buffer for a while and keep watching the other program of my choice, then when say 20 minutes has passed by I would like switch back to the news and watch it without any commercials. I know I could simply set it to record but being able to switch between programs would be so much easier.

Is this possible with the 612 and if so how do I do it? :confused:

You cannot do this with a ViP612. It only has a single output.

You can do this with a ViP622 or a ViP722, they have dual outputs and each output has a one hour buffer.

I don't know what the number of outputs has to do with his question. What he is asking can be done when Duo DVR's are in SINGLE mode. Also, the old 721, a single output box, could do what he is asking, as well (it did require activating a special mode with an icon). It is logical to say that the 612 is very likely to do exactly what the OP is asking unless someone who knows from personal experience that the 612 does not buffer both tuners.

However, the problem would be access to the other tuner. Duo DVR's have a PIP feature that allows one to SWAP between tuners without activating the PIP. I don't know if there is a tuner swap feature, like Tivo has using the "Live TV" button, for the 612 or not because the 612 does not have the PIP feature. What would the work-around be for this?

So, we need to hear from 612 owners who know what they are talking about. Hang in there, OP, someone who knows for certain will answer your question.

Well I just read the user guide for the vip612 and can not beleive that the unit does not allow you to pause one tuner and switch it to the other tuner. But in chapter three of the instructions for the remote in sat mode the swap & pip buttons have no function. I was going to get a vip 612 but now I may have to reevaluate that choice.

Why would you want to pause one tuner, when you can just record 1 show and watch another at the same time? The Tivo that D* no longer makes may have been able to do that, but I've Yet seen a Directv R15,16,22-or HR,20,21,22,23 do this.

But in chapter three of the instructions for the remote in sat mode the swap & pip buttons have no function. I was going to get a vip 612 but now I may have to reevaluate that choice.
Only the Dual room receivers use these functions.
Standard Def models.
HD models

I don't know what the number of outputs has to do with his question. What he is asking can be done when Duo DVR's are in SINGLE mode. Also, the old 721, a single output box, could do what he is asking, as well (it did require activating a special mode with an icon). It is logical to say that the 612 is very likely to do exactly what the OP is asking unless someone who knows from personal experience that the 612 does not buffer both tuners.

However, the problem would be access to the other tuner. Duo DVR's have a PIP feature that allows one to SWAP between tuners without activating the PIP. I don't know if there is a tuner swap feature, like Tivo has using the "Live TV" button, for the 612 or not because the 612 does not have the PIP feature. What would the work-around be for this?

So, we need to hear from 612 owners who know what they are talking about. Hang in there, OP, someone who knows for certain will answer your question.

The 612 does not have PIP.

The 322 does not do PiP either.
As far as swapping tuners, I do that all the time. There might be 2 shows on that I want to keep an eye on, but don't want to record either. If one is recording, when I swap back to it, the buffer is gone.

The OP can "hang in there" until Hell freezes over and the facts won't change. You can't do it with a 612 and you can do it with a 622 or a 722.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts