vip622 / A couple questions / SD viewing ability & multiroom?

bjf

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
I am looking at the new vip622.

For now I have a non HD set.

The old 942 could not allow composite or Svideo for the TV1 output.
Only component.

Looking at the picture for the new vip622 it does have comp. & Svid outputs for
TV1. So will it downconvert HDTV recordings/channels to letterbox via composite out.
Or is this just for SD recordings to be viewed?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question just haven't seen any mention.
I'm guessing it does downconvert as it's been posted it "does" downconvert
for TV2 as there is only the composite/Svid output for TV2.

My 2nd question is can I have one vip622 in the house in single mode.
And then feed the DVR output via it's coax cable output on the DVR to up to three other rooms and watch live tv or DVR recordings via just the one box. And just use the UHF remote in the other rooms.

I've searched the various boards and could find nothing regarding my two questions.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

bjf

You can view TV1 in SD or HD. Just press the HD/SD button on the TV1 remote. You just can't have BOTH outputs active at the same time. It is the same on my 921 currently.

See the following thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=52524

The other I suspect will be true also. You can use it in single mode and just tote the TV2 remote from room to room or get more TV2 remotes.

The nice thing I am going to like is that you will be able to watch HD content downrezzed to your TV2. (Or so it seems from the info I've seen)

I hope my info is correct. I'm eagerly awaiting April 1.

Last edited:
TV1 output will do BOTH HD and SD out at the same time (just like the 811)

#2 - YES, all rooms will see the same programing in single mode.

Thanks for the information.

Am I correct than if you want to watch a HD recording via TV1 in SD it will be in letterbox?

Is there a aspect ratio button to chop off the sides and fill a standard non HD tv screen if you want to see it full screen?

If I choose single mode and run TV1/TV2 out to my main tv in the living room via
composite/S-video. Can I still use the coax cable to send TV2 to the other rooms of the house.

I did have one other question will I have to subscribe to HD programming to be able to get the vip622? It would be a new customer lease.

Thanks for your help.

bjf

Yes, If they do it correctly it should be in letterbox. ( don't have on yet so only a guess)

All the current HD receivers have an aspect control.

Yes, the coax can output both TV1 and TV2 to other TV's in your house in either mode.

Thanks nOqcu,

Am I understanding correctly, I can have Composite/Svideo to the main tv and coax out to all other rooms and composite/svideo/and Coax outputs work at the same time.

Any idea if I can get a vip622 if I don't subscribe to any HD programming.

Thanks, bjf

When I watch any hd shows on my analog tv using the single mode , I see the picture fill the screen just like the hd one. If I use dual mode then I get some letterbox on my analog tv with hd downconverts.

Miked-co5,

Can you clarify on your analog tv.
In single mode when viewing HD it fills the picture,
but is it squeezing it from the sides inward and distorting the picture
or is just chopping off the the two sides and you get to see the center area on your analog set?

Thanks, bjf

NO, it looks just as good as my hd tv picture- I mean it fills the screen and it doesn't look distorted, NOt as good hd pq of course. In dual mode it messes with the picture and produces Letterbox.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts