VIP722 Improvement Suggestion to Dish

One thing we have noticed missing from the VIP722 compared to DirecTV TIVO is:

If you have been watching a program and then decide to record it on a DirecTV TIVO box you could simply hit record and it would save and record the entire show from the start. With the VIP722 it only records the remaining part of the show.

However, we are VERY pleased with the VIP722 and found it has some features not available on DirecTV TIVO and the graphics are better.

If you have been watching a program and then decide to record it on a DirecTV TIVO box you could simply hit record and it would save and record the entire show from the start. With the VIP722 it only records the remaining part of the show.

However, we are VERY pleased with the VIP722 and found it has some features not available on DirecTV TIVO and the graphics are better.

The MOXI and Motorola DVRs have the same feature. They automatically cache back to the begining of the program or at least as long as it has been on that channel. The 722 you have to select it to do it. PopcornNMore, try this. After you push the record button a window pops up. Select Options and then click on Record entire event if it is not shaded out.

What determines whether or not the "Record Event from the Beginning" choice is grayed out or not? I tried several different trial runs this week and couldn't figure out the logic. Does anyone have any idea?

What determines whether or not the "Record Event from the Beginning" choice is grayed out or not? I tried several different trial runs this week and couldn't figure out the logic. Does anyone have any idea?

That happens to me too and I don't know why. Maybe the channel was not quit all the way to the scheduled beginning of the program. I wish it was just done automatically like the other DVRs.

The only time it will allow you to select "record event from the beginning" is when the dvr has been on that channel since the beginning of that program. If a particular show started at 7:00, and the DVR has been tuned to that since 6:58, It will allow you to record the event from the beginning. If you turned to the channel at 7:01, it will not.

The only time it will allow you to select "record event from the beginning" is when the dvr has been on that channel since the beginning of that program. If a particular show started at 7:00, and the DVR has been tuned to that since 6:58, It will allow you to record the event from the beginning. If you turned to the channel at 7:01, it will not.

It doesn't seem to me to work sometimes DSpud. I know for a fact that I have not changed the channel and it has been on it since before the beginning of the program the record from the event from beginning is grayed out. It just happens sometimes and other times it works. I wish it would just auto do it like the MOXI, Motorolas, Tivos, and other DVRs do.

When the "record event from the beginning" option is grayed out, I'll hit cancel then rewind as far back as it will go, THEN press record again. It records from that point forward.

Well, I wonder if it has ever been brought up to Dishes attention to fix it! I wish Dish had a way to suggest improvements/changes to things. Sent the suggestion to the CEO email address too, but no response yet.

While on this subject, I will say that Directv HDDVR has many many features that are very much superior to Dish, having just left Directv and coming to Dish, I am quite dissappointed in the lack of feature Dish has. Dish may be more stable, but leaves a lot to be desired. Just some of the features is, push 1 button to record, or push twice to record all, this is within the main guide screen. Also a feature I miss most is while watching a ballgame, during the advertising you can watch a recorded event, I flip back & forth between live tv and recorded event. These are just a few. Too many steps in Dish to do anything.

While on this subject, I will say that Directv HDDVR has many many features that are very much superior to Dish, having just left Directv and coming to Dish, I am quite dissappointed in the lack of feature Dish has. Dish may be more stable, but leaves a lot to be desired. Just some of the features is, push 1 button to record, or push twice to record all, this is within the main guide screen. Also a feature I miss most is while watching a ballgame, during the advertising you can watch a recorded event, I flip back & forth between live tv and recorded event. These are just a few. Too many steps in Dish to do anything.

Yep, you are correct. The VIP722 lacks a lot of neat shorter faster features than other DVRs. When I visited a friend in Tampa that has a HR20 or maybe it is a HR21, I was really impressed with it. Also, years ago when he had the TIVO combined Direct TV DVR, I really liked it. Personally, I have only ever had the MOXI (which is really sweet like the old TIVO) and Motorola DVRs from Charter Cable. They both are way far advanced past the 722. But the reliability of them are horrible. I would rather have the steady platform of the 722. Funny you just left Direct. I am thinking for the first time of switching to Direct. It appears they have or getting close to it, the single wire to dual tuner technology going. That was the main reason I decided to go with Dish. Also Direct has or getting close to it a multi-switch that can handle five satellite inputs. Dish DPP44 can only accept four. For my area I need five satellites to get everything I want, so I keep one of the LNBs (129) disconnected. Welcome to Dish TV and keep us posted on how you are liking it. There is a lot of nice folks in this forum that are very knowledgeable of Dish and like to help out if you need it.

thanks, I think Dish will make some much needed improvements,I didn't have too many problems with the HR20. I left for the HD only package, saves me over $35 a month, which I must do since retirement. The quality on Dish leave a lot to be desired right now, and the fact you have to pay to get guide infomation if using OTA really is quite upsetting, but I just have to think of the money I am saving, since I don't have a choice.

thanks, I think Dish will make some much needed improvements,I didn't have too many problems with the HR20. I left for the HD only package, saves me over $35 a month, which I must do since retirement. The quality on Dish leave a lot to be desired right now, and the fact you have to pay to get guide infomation if using OTA really is quite upsetting, but I just have to think of the money I am saving, since I don't have a choice.

Price on HD on Direct is higher?

You are missing some key words I said. When you are watching a DVRed event that hasn't finished recording yet, there is no way to stop
what you have watched and then resume it again. If you press the stop button on the remote a window pops up and says "Your request will stop the TV recording and switch to live mode TV." I don't want to stop the recording, I just want to stop at the point of the recorded portion and then resume at that point later on. This DVR does not have that capability for some reason, that I can find. If there is a way I am all ears. Not having this feature is a big irritant to me.

Uhh, actually, guys, you're WRONG! (1. "DVR'ed" doesn't need the apostrophe. It's just "DVRed." And 2....) Have you ever heard of the PAUSE button?

Yeah, try THAT! It just MIGHT WORK! :-X

Uhh, actually, guys, you're WRONG! (1. "DVR'ed" doesn't need the apostrophe. It's just "DVRed." And 2....) Have you ever heard of the PAUSE button?

Yeah, try THAT! It just MIGHT WORK! :-X

Pause works great if you just want to pause for a few minutes or so. But, if you wish to stop completely and then resume couple hours later or another day, the recording will not stay at the last position it was stopped at. You have to start it over. I know this is a minor irritant to some, but my wife and I do this quite often. I have used several cable company DVRs that this is not an issue. Also, I think Direct TV and AT&T U-verse DVRs it is not an issue too. I have sent several emails to the Dish Techs but haven't heard back from them. I was hoping the 722k had addressed this issue, but no luck. I hope it is cleared up in the new 922. Thanks for the grammar correction.

Charlesshell- After first misunderstanding your request and thinking like everyone else the pause button would do it, I now see what it is you want to do. I sent your idea in your own words to an engineer contact I have at Echostar. Let's hope he can pursue this for you. I know of no "suggestion box" at DishNetwork. But many people here know someone or more who may be able to get things done.

You can still do this but before you press record, just rev the timeline back to where you want to start the recording. The only requirement is you have to be watching since a tuner had to be recording to the buffer at the time in order to save that show. Everytime you tune to a channel, the buffer record begins and you can always recapture that buffer to the hard drive permanently just by hitting the record FROM THE BEGINNING of when you came to that channel.

PS- Is that a VO 1200 in your avatar. That was my first VCR I bought back in the late 70's.

Charlesshell- After first misunderstanding your request and thinking like everyone else the pause button would do it, I now see what it is you want to do. I sent your idea in your own words to an engineer contact I have at Echostar. Let's hope he can pursue this for you. I know of no "suggestion box" at DishNetwork. But many people here know someone or more who may be able to get things done.

WOW, thanks Don Landis for your support. Sorry I did not explain it very well. I think this DVR is superior to all DVRs that I have ever used with the exception of this one issue that is a big pain in the rear for me. I hope your contacts can help. I also have asked in the 922 beta thread about the resume feature while recording but no one will answer my question. Maybe the issue has been updated in the 922. Do you have any friends that are in the 922 beta testing going on that might be able to tell us? Thanks again.

I'd like to see this issue fixed as well, especially when moving from one TV to another on my ViP722. I often start watching a recording in progress, say a long football game, then want to 'stop' watching it and pick it up either on the same tv later (after other shows are watched) or on the other TV even a few minutes later. If you attempt to change modes from dual to single on the 722 and swap tuners to accomplish this, it cancels the 'playback' and you don't get where you want to go.

And that's not to mention the apparent problem that happens if you are watching a recording in progress and the recording reaches it's end while you are still in the middle of watching it. Sometimes it screws up and stops the playback completely, sometimes the time counter stays at 0:00:00, sometimes it works fine.

Good topic overall and one that ought not be that difficult to have fixed.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was wondering if anyone has found an effective way to send improvements/suggestions to E*. I have a few that I've come up with since joining Dish a couple of months ago