VIP722 Pricing

AlexTheOne

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
Maybe this was already posted but just in the case it was not...
I stumbled on this article while searching for more info about new and upcoming 722 (current user of 622). Not a lot of new things (regular tech. data and info about upcoming external storage) but the last portion of article (FAQ) has 722 pricing info I did not know about...so I wanted to share it with you guys...:)

Q: What is the cost for the ViP722 DVR?
A: The ViP722 will be free to new subscribers. Existing customers can upgrade from a ViP622 to a ViP722 for a fee ($199 DIY or $249 professionally installed).

More here: http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/dish-network-vip722-dvr-1160.shtml

Maybe this was already posted but just in the case it was not...
I stumbled on this article while searching for more info about new and upcoming 722 (current user of 622). Not a lot of new things (regular tech. data and info about upcoming external storage) but the last portion of article (FAQ) has 722 pricing info I did not know about...so I wanted to share it with you guys...:)

Q: What is the cost for the ViP722 DVR?
A: The ViP722 will be free to new subscribers. Existing customers can upgrade from a ViP622 to a ViP722 for a fee ($199 DIY or $249 professionally installed).

More here: http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/dish-network-vip722-dvr-1160.shtml

Can existing customers upgrade from an owned VIP622 to an owned VIP722 for $199 ? I'd think not.

I've only got a 942, so I think an upgrade to a 722 looks good if it doesn't cost too much. A DVR can't have too much storage. Dish is adding more HD channels in August, so that makes upgrading to an MPEG4 receiver now more worthwhile.

I currently have a 522 and 622 leased I wonder if I could swap the 522 for a 722 for $199

Yeap, for $200, you can get 500gb of external storage and if you hold out a month or two, I'm sure 750gb will fall under $200.
I've had my ViP622 a week now and I've already used up half the drive. And no, it's not "Cinemax After Dark" (well not all of it).

I've already ordered a 500GB Western Digital drive for $140 in preparation for the external HDD feature on the 622 and 722. Then I can build up an even larger library of HD movies that I'll never get around to watching. :)

Later,

-CB

I currently have a 522 and 622 leased I wonder if I could swap the 522 for a 722 for $199

Doubtful. They're just doing HD for HD. You can probably lease a ViP622 for $199, independent of the SD receiver.

How is DishDepot selling them then, DISH_Receivers ?

Because DISH Depot is doing a pre-order for something they do not have in stock and have no idea when it will be released from Dish.

Dish Depot has no more knowledge on the availability of this receiver than we do at the Dishstore.

The Dishstore did pre-orders on 921's, 942's and 622's and to be honest with you its more aggravation than what its worth because 90% of the people who sign up under a "pre-order" never go through the sale.

I had over 500 people signed up for pre-orders for 921's. When I finally got them in stock, nobody really wanted one, and I spent 3 days playing phone and email tag trying to keep my word by offering a pre-order.

Maybe it was my fault because I do not believe in taking deposits for something I do not have available to sell.

But if anyone is taking a deposit, its because they do not have the money to buy product from DISH to sell to you!

BTW, I think the dealer cost on a 722 is like $20 more than a 622 and as you can see Dish depot has them marked up an extra $30 since the price should just be $20 more than a 622.

Dishdepot takes trade- ins of older dish receivers towards the price. IF you wanted to trade in your 622 for a 722 they will give you $150.00 towards the trade in lowering the price to $379.00. They also charge nothing for shipping and handling for the trade in of the older receiver. They also charge NO Tax for the entire deal if you live outside of Florida.

Last edited:
Claude, charge the (non refundable) deposits and save yourself the trouble with people backing out of pre-orders. Serious buyers will pony up a percentage up front.

And that $20 extra also has a time value (interest paid/foregone) so certainly you should add more than $20 to the price. But $30 does seem to be testing the market. Not a biggie- we all gotta eat.

People have BOUGHT their 622?? I didn't hear about that option when I called DISH. Since I'm payin $3/mo to lease it, I'm not sure its worth buying..how much did you guys purchase your 622s for and how do go about asking DISH for that? Do you still have to pay a "dvr access fee" if you own your own unit?

I've only got a 942, so I think an upgrade to a 722 looks good if it doesn't cost too much. A DVR can't have too much storage. Dish is adding more HD channels in August, so that makes upgrading to an MPEG4 receiver now more worthwhile.

Well I just upgraded my Dish Package. I was holding off until the last days of my upgrade offer since I have VOOM.

After a 30 min call with CSR I told them I want the 722 or no deal. Long time Dish customer and I own my 942. Since I have the voom package they sent me the card in the mail for 622 upgrade with no lease fee, 10$ off the new HD package for 10 mo, etc.

They were going to give a one time 10$ credit if I sent them my 942 which I own...are they kidding.

Since I follow these forms I know that the 722 is due out within the next two weeks. After being put on hold four times to check if a 722 even exist, they finally said oh....I guess we can do that for you. A tech will be out on the 13th. Will see if they show up with the 722 in hand.

If this all works out Kudos go out to dish for keeping a long time customer. And by the way, it probably didn’t hurt to state that I really did not want to move to Direct TV....but that never would happen.

Bnwtrout

BTW Ladies and Gentlemen, The 722 has already been released. My last call to them, verified that. With tomorrow's enthernet port being enabled, the telephone reps had a memo sent out last week informing them of this event of the VIP-622 and VIP-722. If its not coming out until the 15th, why then would the memo also include the 722? Hmmm.... Cause its out already, but probably in limited form! As for my two cents, Its only a bigger hard DRIVE. Anyone can upgrade the hard drive, with very little intelligence.

People have BOUGHT their 622?? I didn't hear about that option when I called DISH. Since I'm payin $3/mo to lease it, I'm not sure its worth buying..how much did you guys purchase your 622s for and how do go about asking DISH for that? Do you still have to pay a "dvr access fee" if you own your own unit?

I believe the lease is $6, and if you own your own you pay something like $5 anyway (usually). There are exceptions based on the plan you came in on, the number of receivers you have, the CSR, phase of the moon, etc.

Contact DishStore, one of our supporters, if you might want to buy one.

Yes, the DVR fee still applies.

The 722 has already been released. My last call to them, verified that. With tomorrow's enthernet port being enabled, the telephone reps had a memo sent out last week informing them of this event of the VIP-622 and VIP-722. If its not coming out until the 15th, why then would the memo also include the 722? Hmmm.... Cause its out already, but probably in limited form!
A memo that mentions the 722 by no means indicates that it's out there (for the public) or available. How do you know that the memo did include an "*" next to the 722 that said "when officially released" ??

Call and fake an order, tell them you want an HD-DVR, and ask what model you're getting.

I've been a dish customer for over 15 yrs, their very good at playing the "I don't know" game unless you have educated yourself by reading these and other forums.

Before you make the call do some research regarding equipment and your options. If they sense that their dealing with a customer you knows what's available (like the 722, all the options, programming etc.) then the call takes a different direction.

Instead of them telling you what you can have, you may end up getting what you really want. I have a scheduled install for a 722 on the 13th. So unless I'm getting the first unit, their already in homes.....before the 15th.