ViP722 reboots

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gtjr92

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
My ViP722 has rebooted randomly 4 or 5 times in the past few weeks.
What causes this can i prevent it?
Yesterday I had no sound on OTA Channels, I did a reset on the box and it was fine.
Then my box rebooted again today and no OTA sound.
Not home now but I tried to convince the wife to do the reset she had no interest. I am thinking the reset will fix the issue.
Wy so many reboots lately? and at random times.

Where is the receiver located? Inside a cabinet? These receivers need ventilation and reboots are usually caused by the receiver overheating but it could also be a defective receiver.

hmm when i first got it over a month ago i got messages saying it was too hot, So I moved it to another location, and also cut holes in the back of my entertainment center for ventalilation and had not had the problem since until recently.
I have not had those heating messages in a while.
IS there any kind of event log to see if that is the reason it rebooted?

hmm when i first got it over a month ago i got messages saying it was too hot, So I moved it to another location, and also cut holes in the back of my entertainment center for ventalilation and had not had the problem since until recently.
I have not had those heating messages in a while.
IS there any kind of event log to see if that is the reason it rebooted?

You can check the Hard drive's temperatures and that usually gives you an indication if the receiver is running hot.

Menu, 3, 1, Counters, Page Down 3 times.

Attachments

• HDD Diags..jpg
    HDD Diags..jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 440
Randall. Can you post a picture of you 722 placemant? After a few tree removals I will be upgrading to a 722. Just want an idea of the space needed to prevent the overheating issue. Thanks.

Randall. Can you post a picture of you 722 placemant? After a few tree removals I will be upgrading to a 722. Just want an idea of the space needed to prevent the overheating issue. Thanks.

Here you go:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/1122/cat/500/ppuser/14965/sl/r

One thing I noticed is that the 722 runs cooler than the 622. Also when you reboot the receiver, the fan is not as loud as the 622's fan. The 622's fan sounds like a jet is about to take off.

Yeah in closed entertainment centers made out wood are usually a good idea for electronics. If you do have one it should have some open areas kind of like where RandallA has his. Nice setup RA! :)

Thanks Randall. I shouldn't have a problem. Nice looking install.:up If you have time I have questions about my future upgrade. Just let me know where to post them or I can IM you.

"You can check the Hard drive's temperatures"
From the pic it seems as if it give high low and average.
What about the current temperature?
What should my temp be around?

Thanks

"You can check the Hard drive's temperatures"
From the pic it seems as if it give high low and average.
What about the current temperature?
What should my temp be around?

Thanks

That's correct, it won't give you the current temperature but it gives you an idea of how hot your receiver is running inside.

As far as average temperatures, check this thread and see what others are getting. Very long thread but you can get an idea of what others are getting.
I believe my average is 117 F.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...average-622-temperature-thread-yours-hot.html

my temp avg is 123 I think that may be too high,
Probably need to cut more holes in my entertainment center.
I really don't have any where else to place this, are there any small fans I can get to circulate better? where do i get them??
Thanks

my temp avg is 123 I think that may be too high,
Probably need to cut more holes in my entertainment center.
I really don't have any where else to place this, are there any small fans I can get to circulate better? where do i get them??
Thanks

In that thread that I posted earlier, different solutions are mentioned. There are some laptop coolers and some USB powered fans that help getting the hot air out. I had a laptop cooler that blows the hot air to the front and it helped. I'm now using it where the 625 is because I have it in an enclosed cabinet with airs in the back only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)