VIP722 with inop HDMI port problems

msevans1

Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
I have tried my fourth VIP722 DVR and can't get the HDMI port to function with my Samsung LNT4661F 46" LCD or my Sony TV.
My HDMI inputs on the Samsung and the Sony function fine when I connect my DVD player/recorder via HDMI.
When I connect the VIP722 I just get a "No Signal" Error on the TV's. Component connections on all VIP722's work fine.
After my 3rd VIP722 didn’t correct the problem Dish blamed Samsung. A Samsung service tech just left my house after replacing the main board in the Samsung TV under warranty and updating the firmware with still "No Signal" problem. Samsung blames Dish Network since thier ports function fine with my DVD player.
Tried different HDMI cables etc. same problem, the DVD player works fine. Had a new dish VIP722 DVR in the box waiting to try (the fourth) after the board was replaced in the Samsung but still the same problem.
I’m hoping one of the experts out their might have a clue as to what is going on here.
Thanks

I have the same issue, on my 3rd 722 and no HDMI with my BenQ projector. Works fine with other HDMI products, xBox360, Sony BluRay Player, etc. I was also told the same thing by Tech Support "Known Issue".

I'm wondering if it's an HDCP issue - is the 722 shutting down the interface if it's not getting what it likes from the video source?

Might also be a hand shaking issue with the initial resolutions. By default, I think the 722 is set to 1080i, even if you have a 720p display. Someone else posted an issue about a PS3 with the same problem, said they needed to upplug the display, then plug it back in so it hard resets the sync and then it worked fine, may try that later.

If you get it working, please post.

I have tried my fourth VIP722 DVR and can't get the HDMI port to function with my Samsung LNT4661F 46" LCD or my Sony TV.
My HDMI inputs on the Samsung and the Sony function fine when I connect my DVD player/recorder via HDMI.
When I connect the VIP722 I just get a "No Signal" Error on the TV's. Component connections on all VIP722's work fine.

Well actually I got mine in September '07, the HDMI port works perfectly. Are you sure it isn't the cable....like any cable, it can go bad.

Thanks for all the responses and advice.
I decided to call Dish one more time to let them know the fourth 722 still will not work via HDMI on my Samsung or Sony. I had them review all the notes regarding everything tried including cables and verifing other devices work connected by HDMI to both TV's.
This Dish tech finally admitted to my after 10 months of attempts to get this fixed that the VIP 722 does have HDMI compatibility problems with a multitude of sets out there. Apparently my Samsung and Sony are in that group of incompatable sets and I was told that their software updates should correct these problems but he cant give out any sort of time table for my sets to become compatable.
What he did do is knock the $20.00 monthly fee for HD service off my bill deduting the amount from the 250 channel package I have. He stated this will be a perminant deduction until my sets become compatable, guess I will need to be honest and call back in when a software upgrade corrects this.