VIP722k Recording???

Jade22

Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
U.S.A.
Hi, I'm new to dish network so bare with me if I sound like an idiot. I used to have a directv plus dvr that let me record a live show while letting me watch another. I now have the dish vip722k dvr that is connected to two TVs. One in the main bedroom and the other in my daughter's room. I've been reading the manual over and over again and am a little confused. When I record a show on the dvr and then try to turn the channel to watch a different show it says I have to stop the recording. Is it not possible to record a live show and watch another live show at the same time with this dvr? :confused: TIA.

When you feed two TV's with different programing it's just like having two single tuner DVR's.

You can either watch what's currently recording or watch something than was recorded previously. Which is what alot of people due, they rarely watch anything "live".

Thanks, I just tried that but it changed my daughter's TV while she was watching it. Is there any other way?

You are limited to a max of two live things over the satellite at once. If the program records on tuner 1, it will be what is live on your main TV. If it records on tuner 2, it will be what is live on your daughter's TV. Either (or both) TVs can view previously recorded programs while things are recording on them, though.

Get a 301 for your daughter, and put the 722 in single mode for your viewing pleasure.

Get a 301 for your daughter, and put the 722 in single mode for your viewing pleasure.

If his daughter is like mine, taking DVR capability away from her would NOT be wise LOL!

Better idea would be to get her a 211 and add an external hard drive. Another idea, depending on what ch you are drv'ing, would be to set a timer to record the show when it repeats later in the night. Example: If the show is Mythbusters on Discover Ch you can go about 4 hours later in the guide and the same episode will be shown....set your dvr to record that show. Now if it's a sporting event or local network show then this won't work since they don't repeat prog like national ones do.

If his daughter is like mine, taking DVR capability away from her would NOT be wise LOL!

Better idea would be to get her a 211 and add an external hard drive. Another idea, depending on what ch you are drv'ing, would be to set a timer to record the show when it repeats later in the night. Example: If the show is Mythbusters on Discover Ch you can go about 4 hours later in the guide and the same episode will be shown....set your dvr to record that show. Now if it's a sporting event or local network show then this won't work since they don't repeat prog like national ones do.
Good points. But if it's a local network - you can already use the OTA tuner as the third tuner and not have an issue.

Good points. But if it's a local network - you can already use the OTA tuner as the third tuner and not have an issue.

Very true. I didn't mention that because most installers don't know how to use one coax to run off-air, sat, and TV2 especially if the antenna requires dc for amplification like the Winegard 2200.

Very true. I didn't mention that because most installers don't know how to use one coax to run off-air, sat, and TV2 especially if the antenna requires dc for amplification like the Winegard 2200.
You can record on the OTA tuner and immediately play it back (live) on TV2 (through My Recordings) without any extra setup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)