Vista questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
How do I make the desktop icons smaller? I havent found this option yet though I had when I was using xp.

Does vista slow down your net connection? I'm using the same wireless pci card from my recently dead xp machine and it seems that the speeds are slower.

Yeah like he said there are 3 options and most time I always choose "Classic".. If you want them even smaller or bigger you can always do this hold the ctrl key down and use your scroll wheel on your mouse. This will decrease or increase your Desktop Icons as well..

Thanks guys, I didnt want the icons to be so huge.

I think that last year I had used an optimizer to improve my connectio settings but I cant rememer where I got it from.

I stated playing with the network settings on my vista laptop, to try to optimize it for speed. I install Wildblue and Hughesnet, and was trying to get my laptop to run as fast as possible on these "broadband" services.
The only things I found that actually effected anything where these:

I use firefox, and did this stuff:
How To Speed Up Firefox (Helpful Vanity)

Then, to try to eliminate some of the dns requests, I installed Fast Cache from AnalogX. Instead of going out to WB's dns servers everything I type in a site, it cache's any site's i've looked for before, locally. And if it doesn't have the ip cached locally, then it goes out and gets it. For that I use OpenDNS's servers.

So far I am pretty happy with those tweaks. Even on the satellite connections, this thing runs pretty fast. In my opinion, avoiding the dns servers as much as possible, seems to help.

You don't need to optimize settings related to network speed like you used to have to do in older versions, i.e. Win9x.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)